One month post fistulectomy

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Postby praty » 18 Jun 2016, 01:54

Hi All,

I've had a perianal abscess which was very painful. I was hardly able to walk/sit properly, i.e. reduced to no movement. On the day of the surgery. it burst out on its own, but then also, I went for the surgery which was alright and the whole area was drained and cleaned. The surgery was done on 18th February, 2016 and the wound almost healed in 8-9 weeks but then I started experiencing pain in the same region again after almost 10 weeks of the surgery. There was also a bit of discharge coming through. I went to my CRS again, and after undergoing MRI scan, I was told that it was a low fistula. He further explained that 50% of abscess usually turn into a fistula so that's pretty normal. I just wanted to get rid of all this pain and so I decided to undergo another surgery (called fistulectomy) on 17th May which was less painful than the previous one. The wound has healed properly in about a month and only a small bit is left now. I'm taking sitz baths twice every day and still taking stool softeners to avoid constipation. I'm also having daily dressings. The healing has been fine until last week and now, I'm experiencing discharge and similar pain (inflammation and needle like pain like before being diagnosed with abscess) after every bowel movement. There isn't any blood in the discharge but there are some stool particles. There are also some brown/yellow coloured stuffs which looks like puss with foul smell. Is that normal or is there any chance that I might have another fistula/abscess? I'm a bit worried as I don't want to go through all of that again. Last 6-7 months have been really painful.
Any help/suggestions/tips is greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
praty
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: One month post fistulectomy

Postby Manitourose » 25 Jun 2016, 08:44

Hope you had a chance to get it checked out or speak to your doctor praty. You always want to investigate any foul smell because it can point to infection and having it seen to sooner is a good thing. How are you doing? Rooting for you, hope you found some answers. Sorry for the late response.
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Postby praty » 29 Jun 2016, 03:53

Thanks Manitourose. Yes, the CRS had a look and said that the wound is healthy and its just healing. This is why I'm experiencing little bit of pain as the skin contracts sometimes (mainly after BM). He asked me to have medicines which strengthens the immune system. Regarding the discharge, he said little bit of this is usual. Hopefully, he's right and I don't need to consult any other doctor.
praty
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 29 Jun 2016, 13:22

Take vitamins. They were a true life saver for me as I could not eat right. If you are in the US, I got Smarty Pants vitamins and love them. Did not upset my stomach.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby praty » 04 Jul 2016, 12:19

Thanks Savaici. I was taking vitamins but my doctor asked me to stop them and start with Glutammune sachet to strengthen my immune system. I had the surgery in India but I'm living in the UK now.

Just a quick update: A couple of days earlier the pain and pus/discharge was gone and it looked like - the wound had healed and about to close. But from yesterday, there is a lot of discharge and little bit of pain whenever I sit down/stand up (any movement basically), as the wound has opened up again. I'm a bit worried now. Is this sign of a fistula which still exists there and isn't treated?
praty
Fibre Addict