Bleeding a week after surgery normal?

Question!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Bleeding a week after surgery normal?

Postby Sunset » 26 Jun 2016, 17:45

Hi
If anyone can help me with my question is really appreciate it.
I had sphincterotomy/hemorrhoidectomy 7 days ago.
I didn't have any bleeding the last four days, but today I see quite a bit of bright red blood on toilet paper. Is that normal?
I did actually do a lot of moving around today, could this be why?
I'm just thinking the worst and kinda scared
If anyone's gone through this, please let me know
Thank you!
Sunset
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Bleeding a week after surgery normal?

Postby suzyljank » 26 Jun 2016, 21:38

Hi, don't panic. You will see a discharge and blood for a while after surgery. I started bleeding a few weeks after surgery and although I panicked everything was alright. Don't over due things especially climbing stairs and lifting. If the bleeding doesn't slow up call your doctor otherwise try not to panic too much. Remember the LIS helps loosen the muscle so your fissure can heal. It still takes a while for that to happen. Good luck Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Sunset » 01 Jul 2016, 08:24

Hi,
I have another question of someone can help, cause I'm a little worried.

Yesterday I had a someone hard bowel movement (first time I didn't drink prune juice before bed)
It hurt to go and I actually had to push.. And I was in pain after for a couple hours. I took my pain meds and sat in warm bath but it feels like I've been kicked really hard. It's throbbing and feels like really heavy pressure

This morn I had the same pain after bowel movement.
I'm two weeks post operation.
I'm kinda scared the hard bowel movement damaged something of the surgery? Is that possible?

I'll make sure to do lots of fruits and veggies today and the prune juice..
But has anyone had this experience? I'm scared because I had a week of very little pain and now I'm having pain.
Sunset
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 01 Jul 2016, 08:28

Hi, you need to keep your bm soft. Prune juice alone won't help right now. Take a stool softener while you're recovering especially because pain medicine tends to constipate. You might want to take a stool softener daily even after you heal to prevent this from happening again. I use miralax daily. Just don't use a stimulant laxative and you should be okay.
suzyljank

Postby Sunset » 01 Jul 2016, 08:54

Thanx!
Ive only been eating high fiber and the prune juice at night but honestly my bowel movements have been quite watery with this eating, will adding stool softeners give me diarreah? i didn't think missing a day of prune juice would be a big deal but it was for me!
Honestly everything I do and learn is from this forum. The doc did my surgery and sent me home with another appt booked in three weeks, but he didn't tell me ANYTHING about aftercare or anything at all.
He literally said "you'll be fine" while I wAs still pretty drowsy from anesthesia and he ran out of the clinic (I was his last appt of the day)
It's pretty frustrating but this forum has helped me so much, so thank u!
So u don't think I tore the wound open or anything like that? I hope not.
Sunset
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 01 Jul 2016, 12:01

Too much fiber can cause problems too, especially is you don't drink enough liquid. It can actually cause constipation. Try eating a more normal diet. I've had hem. surgery, and Lis and finally double advancement flaps and after each surgery I was told to eat a normal diet. I do have IBS so normal for me isn't normal for everyone but try to get back to what is normal for you. If you take a softener like miralax just take it once a day at the same time each day and you can adjust it up or down for what works best for you. Prune juice is ok but it's not predictable all the time. Get into a routine that works for you. As far as you retearing I don't know, take some warm baths, it relaxes everything and helps keep the area clean. Sitting on a warm heating pad help a bunch. Put a towel over the pad so it doesn't get too hot. If you're still having problems give your doctor a call. Suzy
suzyljank