A life with AF after Hemorrhoidectomy

AF after Hemorrhoidectomy

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

A life with AF after Hemorrhoidectomy

Postby need2beat » 15 Aug 2016, 18:25

Hello AFSP

I think I've met my unwilling AF Peeps.

I had an early Hemorrhoidectomy in early May after having developed internal and external hemorrhoids.

My healing has been a disaster as it appears I have developed AF.

In my 3 weeks PostOpp, my doctor recommended a Spinchterotomy, I pushed back, as was in so much pain and yet he wanted me to do a surgery on top of what that I was barely recovering from.

I was more upset that Doctor did not suggest any medication to help correct the issue but instead jumped to recommending surgery. Doctor prescribed hydrocortisone and Lidocane.

Fast foward to six weeks post opp where I was still having pains after each BM. I researched and was told about Nifedipine and Nitroglycerine. When I shared this with the DOC. The response was " oh yes, I can prescribe that for you". However, Shouldn't this have been the first medication prescribed for me by a colorectal surgeon?

Needless to say, my confidence level in this Doctor tanked. Another surgeon has since been recommended to me. I have had my first appointment. The surgeon first checked to see that my anal passage was ok and did not erupt the fissure when I was being examined.

This surgeon has recommended I continue with nifedipine for the next four weeks and if no improvement, A flexible sigmoidoscopy with botox shot will be scheduled.

Has anyone does this or knows of someone who has? What are the pros and cons?

If you have read to the end of this... thank you and I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks
need2beat

Topics: 1

Re: A life with AF after Hemorrhoidectomy

Postby Mypoorbutt » 16 Aug 2016, 02:46

Hi,
Sorry to hear you are suffering, lots of docs aren't great when it comes to fissures even CRS. I have changed mine a couple of times and now have one I trust and wish I had found sooner.
As for the cream I haven't used that one I use the GTN but I do believe you can use both at the same time. I had Botox over two month ago and would def recommend it. It has totally stopped my spasms apart from the odd occasion when my IBD has been really bad. I think if your fissure is small or new you would probably achieve total healing and if not will get a good two months pain free. I had a fissurotomy with my Botox so was uncomfortable for about two weeks after but nothing like the pain of the spasms. I have turned down a colonoscopy as I didn't want it to pull or aggravate my fissure so I wouldn't know what to say about the sigi...can they use a thinner tube for that perhaps.
So I guess I'm saying go for the Botox I'm really glad I did, mine was to reduce the size of my fissure so I can have LIS later this year but my fissure was a year old and according to my CRS one of the worse he has seen in 20 years and the Botox has helped me, if nothing else it will reduce your pain.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby need2beat » 16 Aug 2016, 05:22

Thank you @mypoorbutt. I am glad to hear the Botox has helped you and that you have finally found a CRS who you are ok with.

When you refer to the pain, is it the pain after a BM? That is when I am at my worst.

What kind of discomfort did you encounter after the Botox? I ask because I'll be traveling overseas two weeks after the sigi.
need2beat

Topics: 1

Postby Mypoorbutt » 16 Aug 2016, 11:53

My pain always starts 20 mins after a BM and can last for hours, at it's worst before the GTN cream the pain would escalate to around a 9 and could last for at least 10 hours. Thankfully not been that bad often.
The first 5 to 7 days after Botox it was very sore but I did have a fissurotomy and had very swollen hems as well, after the first week it was more discomfort than pain. To be fair after day 12 I was pretty much ok felt sore 20 mins after a BM but it never turned into the horrendous spasming. It was just stinging and burning but that is nothing compared to the spasms
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20