LIS and Hemorrhoidectomy surgeries

Anyone have both together?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS and Hemorrhoidectomy surgeries

Postby Rembese » 25 Jun 2016, 13:23

I've been suffering from chronic anal fissure for 8 months. I was scheduled for surgery last month but I thought the fissure was finally better and cancelled it a few days before my scheduled date. A couple of weeks later it's returned, in all its glory. I was also advised to have a Hemorrhoidectomy at the same time as the LIS mainly because of my external hemorrhoids. The doctor said it's a painful operation which he wouldn't normally recommend but asked if I wanted it done now since I'm going to be in pain anyway from the sphincterotomy. He said it's up to me, it depends on how much the hemorrhoids bother me in terms of pain and getting myself clean after a bm. Of course he would get rid of the internal ones as well, all of which have been exacerbated by the anal fissure problem. So I'm ready to have both surgeries done now. Anybody have both done at once? Any thoughts or recommendations for recoveries?
Rembese

Topics: 1

Re: LIS and Hemorrhoidectomy surgeries

Postby destrino » 26 Jun 2016, 16:46

Some people here did them both. As many report lis only is not that painful to recover from. Hemo its different, it needs more time and more attention. But theres no meaning in living at 50%. You'll go through some post op pain but with right meds and probably a month off work you'll be great. You'll never regret this
destrino
Fibre Addict

Postby Sunset » 26 Jun 2016, 17:39

I had both done 7 days ago.
It's been a tough week but honestly today I went for a walk with my kids and cooked a nice dinner
So considering it's only been a week I guess that's pretty good.
The pain I still have is from the hemorrhoidectomy, the wound still swells up and is painful (not horrific but enough to want to sit in the warm bath for a bit) I guess this will heal slowly. For now the toughest part is keeping things clean.. Honestly after a bowel movement I'm cleaning and washing for a good 30mins (I guess stuff gets stuck in the actual wound- sorry I know that's gross to hear but that's actually the toughest part I find, especially because chance of infection)
Anyhow, if the hemorrhoid does bother you (mine was ruining my life) id do both at one time and get it over with. It will be a process of healing but I see the light at the end of the tunnel
Sunset
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Rembese » 27 Jun 2016, 00:11

Thanks for the replies. My surgeon never suggested in our initial discussion that it would be more complicated having the Hemorrhoidectomy done at the same time, only more painful. I'm going to have to do some more research on this now. I will be meeting with him next week and will surely ask for more details about the aftercare, risk of infection, etc. Thanks again.
Rembese