LIS/fissurectomy on Friday 8/26

Trying to cope

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS/fissurectomy on Friday 8/26

Postby Luka » 19 Aug 2016, 08:21

Hi everyone,

I am one week away from my LIS/fissurectomy and am starting to freak out more. I will probably end up starting a diary in the diary section to chronicle my thoughts and experiences. I'm starting to worry a lot and am already having some trouble sleeping with various nightmares. I know this will be best for me, but the fear is still there, nonetheless, especially of how painful recovery will be. I had three decent days this week, which was good, but then the pain came back yesterday and I know the fissure will not heal without help, so this is the road I have to choose to hopefully get my life back.

Right now I'm more freaked out about the magnesium citrate prep the night before and how painful that's going to be for the fissure. : ( But at least I don't have to do the enema per my CRS's instructions.

Any extra tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. Extra thoughts and prayers help so much, too. : ) Best wishes to everyone going through this. I will keep everyone updated, either on this post or in a new diary post.
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Re: LIS/fissurectomy on Friday 8/26

Postby horsetrainer » 21 Aug 2016, 22:20

I'm having the same thing done tomorrow morning. I'm pretty scared, too. I've had my fissure currently for three years, but it's been off and on for years before that. I know it's the right thing to do, but thinking about it is exhausting! I ride horses and I wonder about how long I might have to give that up, and what will happen if I'm incontinent? But as I told the surgeon, I am ready to take the risk for the chance of healing once and for all! We don't choose to be in this "club" but we make the best we can with what we've got!

I've been having the problem of being embarrassed to talk about this with friends and family. I don't like talking about it, and so most of my friends have no idea what I'm having done. My immediate family is supportive and we have even had a few laughs about it, but it is a lonely and isolating ailment.

Good luck!
horsetrainer
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Luka » 22 Aug 2016, 08:16

Good luck to you on your surgery, horsetrainer. I wish you a smooth recovery and full healing so you can get back to your normal life. : ) Please keep us updated on how it goes.

And I agree that it's so difficult to talk about with friends and family. The only person I talk to about it fully is my mom, who has been through a lot of her own butt problems (hemmoroids), among other personal things. I'm very close to her. My boyfriend, however, does not get it at all and prefers not to talk about it; in fact, I feel like he doesn't even listen to me when I tell him about it. I feel isolated from him in that regard. : ( But my mom has really helped me through this so much.

I wish you the best with your surgery.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Luka
VIP

Postby Luka » 23 Aug 2016, 09:25

How did everything go, horsetrainer? I hope you're doing well.
Luka
VIP

Postby horsetrainer » 23 Aug 2016, 10:28

My surgery went "perfectly," according to my CRS. He did not do a fissurectomy, just sphincterotomy. He had told me that he would determine that when he got in there, and he said afterwards that it would cause unnecessary pain. My fissure was deep enough that he could see the sphincter muscle. He also said that Botox injections would not have helped and that doing the LIS was the only thing that would have worked. I was glad to hear that because he had originally recommended Botox but I did not want to go that route; I sensed that it would not be enough, and I was right.

The first few hours after the surgery, I had little pain because my anus had been injected with local anesthetic. It was sedation plus local. I don't remember any of the procedure, thank goodness. After about four hours, all the local had worn off and I felt pretty bad pain. I took ibuprofen and two oxycodone and that took care of the pain; I could still feel the pain, but it was manageable. I didn't sleep too well, but my cats and dogs cuddled with me and gave me comfort.

I have been so worried about incontinence, but yesterday after surgery I had the opposite problem of feeling the need to pass gas and not being able to release it. Finally accomplished that about four hours after surgery.

I took Miralax and senna yesterday to head off constipation. And I had my first BM, which was much less painful than going with the fissure! Everything felt looser and although the incision is sore and my anus is swollen from being held open during surgery, the fissure pain is better. Just different. I didn't have a lot in there because of eating so lightly before surgery, so that helped that it was a small amount.

I'll keep you updated as I progress!
horsetrainer
Fibre Addict

Postby Luka » 23 Aug 2016, 10:48

Glad to hear it went well, horsetrainer! : ) At least you did not need a fissurectomy. I have a feeling I will, but we shall see when he finally sees the fissure(s).

Did you have any prep (enema or laxatives) before surgery? Was it under general anesthesia or just conscious sedation?

I'm glad your first BM went so well. That part scares me a lot. <:O

Please keep us updated. I wish you the best with everything and hope you finally heal!
Luka
VIP

Postby horsetrainer » 23 Aug 2016, 14:14

I did an enema on the morning of the surgery. It was not as bad as I had feared, although it did hurt. One thing that helps with enemas is to put the bottle in warm water for fifteen minutes before administering it - cold or room temperature liquid can cause more cramping.

I had conscious sedation rather than general anesthesia. When I first saw my CRS a month ago, he did not see the fissure during my first exam with anuscope. He thought it was a fistula. He scheduled a fistula surgery, which was also conscious sedation. He didn't see a fistula, but a small opening in the anal canal that, when he opened it surgically, turned out to have been a fissure that had tried to heal - skin had grown over much of the fissure, but underneath it was infected and ulcerated. Since I had not consented to sphincterotomy before surgery, he didn't do that during the first surgery. I had to wait two weeks to get in for the LIS surgery and that was a very painful two weeks. Thinking about it didn't help, either.

Conscious sedation was great, I just drifted off to sleep and didn't feel anything. I woke up in the recovery room and was ready to go home within an hour.

I'll be thinking of you for your LIS and fissurectomy, Luka! This too shall pass!
horsetrainer
Fibre Addict

Postby Luka » 24 Aug 2016, 08:59

Thanks for the reply, horsetrainer. I hope you're doing well. : )

My CRS said I don't need to do an enema since it would just cause more pain and stress for me. Instead, I'm doing a magnesium citrate prep (one bottle) the night before surgery. I don't think I can finish a whole bottle, but we shall see. Apparently it doesn't take much for it to work. I will just try my best.

Glad to hear the sedation worked out for you and you just drifted off to sleep. Hoping it works fast for me and that I don't remember anything of the procedure. I got horrible nausea with my last surgery, though, so I hope that won't be a problem this time. Not looking forward to that. : (

Thank you for the well wishes. I really hope you're doing well today.
Luka
VIP

Postby Luka » 25 Aug 2016, 10:32

Really starting to get nervous. : ( I just want to get this whole process over with before I decide to change my mind, which I don't want because I know I need this surgery. Just really struggling today with all sorts of worries and emotions.

My surgery is tomorrow afternoon at 1:30pm. I will need to be there by 12:30pm for pre-op. Wish me luck and good thoughts and prayers guys. Going to need them!
Luka
VIP

Postby letsgetthisover » 26 Aug 2016, 12:00

Praying for you, Luka! You are going to feel better after this last trial, okay? You're a fighter, and you have fought all that you need to, it's time to let those doctors fight for you and take over. They'll take great care of you.
Praying for a smooth recovery for you. Remember, try to sleep as much as possible today. That will help!
letsgetthisover
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1