Anyway to reduce rectal spasm (apart from dilitazem)

Rectal spasm remedy

A sub-forum for those with pain, but no explanation for it. Vent, share, ask, and help others. That is what this little corner is all about!

Return to Chronic Anal and Rectal Pain

Anyway to reduce rectal spasm (apart from dilitazem)

Postby rvsw » 09 Sep 2016, 01:32

I have had rectal spasm since 2007 after recurrent anal fissures. I was diagnosed with levator ani syndrome. For the 1st 2 years it was pretty severe and I was bedridden or homebound most of the time. The pain eventually decreased. Now I seem to have developed a fistula which is shown on the MRI but by the time it went back to the surgeon, he could not see it. I started having rectal spasm again. I am using dilitazem 2% ointment and sitz bath apart from deep breathing and avoiding sitting

But I wonder if there are any other way is to reduce rectal spasm. I used to use belladonna and opium suppositories but they are not available outside United States where I now live. I had to move back to India because of lack of health insurance.

Any inputs appreciated
rvsw

Topics: 2

Re: Anyway to reduce rectal spasm (apart from dilitazem)

Postby pdt935 » 13 Sep 2016, 17:24

Hey, I unfortunately don't have any specific advise but I seem to be going through something similar (to a lesser degree).

The doctors would always say my fissure was very minor, and didn't get why it was having such an impact on my life. My GP provided Constella (NOT a laxative) and things got so muc.h better. Slight relapse today as I believe Vyvanse (my ADD medication I started taking agin 2 days ago) caused issues. I'm feeling tender around the fissure area, but I am convinced the pain today was from spasms, as it has been for a while (I thought it was fissure pain).

Will let you know if I find anything out. Hang in there.
pdt935
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Fissurefrustration » 20 Oct 2016, 09:34

Hi RVSW,

I found sitting on a hot water bottle after BM really helped my spasms, sometimes the sitz bath was just too short but a heat pad giving gentle heat over a greater time helped me loads.

Be careful using lots of lotions, potions and creams etc as these can delay healing and potentially make your skin friable and moist, leading to further complications.

Jay
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby pdt935 » 20 Oct 2016, 09:42

I'm sitting on my hot water bottle at work right now!

Also, I use the Headspace app for meditation. I find it puts me in a nice relaxed state which really reduces the spasms. When I was constantly thinking about the pain, it only got worse. Having your mind in a good spot is the best way to start healing.
pdt935
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5