2nd DAY POST SURGERY DETAILS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

2nd DAY POST SURGERY DETAILS

Postby Rcece » 06 Oct 2016, 10:00

Today is the 2nd day after my surgery (Thursday). Had surgery on Tuesday. Slept last night with no issues. I have not taken any pain medication. The bottle of 30 percocets sitting on my dresser is collecting dust and I have a feeling will continue to do so. I have only taken 1 Aleve yesterday morning after my first BM.

This morning when I woke up I felt the urge to go and went around 6am. I immediately jumped into a warm bath and then showered. I have been finding the Poland Spring Bottles (sport bottles) helpful while in shower. I use the tip and squirt my backside clean while running the shower. I went downstairs and had breakfast and then around 8am I had to go a 2nd time. I followed the same routine. Definitely a bit of soreness but not spasms thus far. Its strange going to the bathroom and not having the burning/throbbing sensation afterwards (its surreal).

My wife bought me some maxipads to put in my boxer briefs to catch any leakage. Definitely noticing some blood here and there but thats about it. Ive been moving around fairly well and took a quick ride to the grocery store before. I put a pillow on my seat in my truck and felt completely comfortable. Been sitting on a heating pad as much as possible while at home.

I took a look at the area this morning and noticed some purplish bruising but thats about it. I always hated the skin tag and Im glad its gone.

Been taking ducolax and magnesium every night and eating my fair share of fiber. Gonna continue to stay away from anything constipating. My wife always teases me and says I can never just sit still. Been doing some light exercises with a resistant band (mostly upper body). Making sure not to tense my bottom so I dont irritate anything.

I CANT BELIEVE HOW MUCH I WORRIED ABOUT THIS SURGERY. SO FAR ITS BEEN SMOOTH SAILING. IM SURE ILL HAVE SOME SETBACKS. I DID HAVE TO SNEEZE EARLIER THIS MORNING AND THAT WASNT VERY PLEASANT......LOL.
Rcece
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Re: 2nd DAY POST SURGERY DETAILS

Postby Happyending » 06 Oct 2016, 17:13

Awesome, glad to hear you are doing really well on day 2!
Happyending
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby IBSCSufferer » 06 Oct 2016, 21:32

I just had 2 anal skin tags and 3 hemorrhoids removed yesterday morning, all of which resulted from anal fissures that took forever to heal. I had little to no pain yesterday, just some mild pressure. Today has been a little more uncomfortable with a lot more pressure and discomfort, and some light bleeding. I have yet to be able to have a BM.

I had been instructed to take Percocet every 4 hours, which I have been doing, plus the Miralax my doctor prescribed me. I am terrified to have a BM.

Any suggestions on what to do in order to have a BM (hopefully as comfortably as possible)?

Also, I looked at the area yesterday when I got home from the hospital. The skin tags that used to be visible were GONE! However, I looked again tonight and it looks like they are there again... is this just swelling or was surgery a painful mistake??
IBSCSufferer
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Happyending » 07 Oct 2016, 01:26

You have to make sure to take enough stool softener. Not sure about Percocet...my doctor gave my Norco and told me to take one stool softener (colace) with each Norco, to counter the constipation effect if the pain meds. Also, make sure to drink enough water, 3 liters or more if you can.
Happyending
Salt Bather

Postby IBSCSufferer » 07 Oct 2016, 10:24

I have not taken any pain meds since 8pm last evening, it's now 11:20am, in hopes of eliminating some of the constipation. I have continued to take my Miralax (stool softener my doctor prescribed). All I'm experiencing at this moment is a lot of painful cramping in my lower left pelvic area. I know this is where the descending colon turns into the sigmoid colon, so I'm assuming that a BM will be in my near future. However, nothing has advanced as of yet.

Also, upon further inspection of the surgery site, I've noticed that my anal area looks as if a bunch of grapes have formed! Is this a normal part of healing?! This looks way worse than before surgery!

P.S. I am a chronic constipation sufferer, as I have IBS with constipation, rather than with diarrhea.
IBSCSufferer
Fibre Addict

Postby IBSCSufferer » 07 Oct 2016, 12:02

UPDATE!

I had my first BM since surgery and to my surprise it wasn't too painful! The stool softener is definitely doing its job.

Now, does anyone have any advice on how to keep myself clean after having a BM?
IBSCSufferer
Fibre Addict

Postby Rcece » 07 Oct 2016, 12:12

Ive been using a bottle of water that squirts at the tip. I lay on my back in the tub with warm water running and I spray the water bottle in that area. I will fill up the water bottle over and over again and do it multiple times. Once Im finished, Ill fill the tub with warm/hot water and sit it in for about 10 minutes. I know its doing the trick because Ill check myself in a mirror and its spotless back there. I thought a sitz bath was enough but it really isnt. Its best to have a little gentle water pressure back there. I know a lot of people use "shower wands" but my shower head is fixed. You wont be able to get it clean or risk irritating the area unless you get in the shower/tub. Guess its a small price to pay while you are still healing.
Rcece
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Postby IBSCSufferer » 07 Oct 2016, 14:59

Good tips! Thank you!

Now, how do you deal with the pain following a BM? While having a BM, my pain is minimal at best. But afterwards, it is excruciating. I immediately took a sitz bath after my BM and soaked in the hottest water I could tolerate. And now I've been lying on the couch with an ice pack in between my cheeks for over 2 hours now and I'm still very sore. HELP! :(
IBSCSufferer
Fibre Addict

Postby Happyending » 08 Oct 2016, 00:37

I developed a similar technique as Rcece, spraying water up there. But, Ibssufferer, you had a different kind of surgery it seems, and maybe your wound is more inside? I did not have pain during or after BM, ever since surgery.
However, I did have those swollen grapes you are talking about, and while they have shrunk, they are still there. So, my skin tag collection has grown due to the surgery. One day in the future I will get them removed as they interfere a bit with keeping everything clean, and sometimes cause discomfort.
Happyending
Salt Bather

Postby IBSCSufferer » 08 Oct 2016, 08:39

I will have to find myself a spray bottle!

My surgery was an anal skin tag excision and a hemorrhoidectomy at the same time. My surgeon told me he would not have to travel inside during the operation.

Honestly, the part that is most painful is the swelling outside my rectum. It feels as if I'm being squeezed gently in that area. I am able to feel the blood pumping to the area (which I know promotes healing, so it's a good thing it's doing that). The worst part, though, is the random clenching of the area. It's almost as if my surgical site has spasms and just tightens without warning. That's the worst part! :(
IBSCSufferer
Fibre Addict