Length of cut...does it make a difference

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Length of cut...does it make a difference

Postby Mypoorbutt » 11 Oct 2016, 09:15

Hi guys just wondering if anyone who has had LIS has had a cut that may not have been as long as their fissure...and if so will it make a difference.
My surgeon said he will do LIS but will not necessarily cut the length of the fissure as he has never cut longer than 1/12 inches, he said he achieves over 94% success even if the cut is smaller than the fissure, I do trust him but I'm sure I read somewhere that the cut has to be the same length otherwise it still spasms.
(One of my 2am reading session while in agony probably lol)
Just wanting some ideas as now I'm worried again
Thanx
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Re: Length of cut...does it make a difference

Postby pinpin » 07 Nov 2016, 06:17

Hey,

Yes, it does make difference as per my experience. After 3 years my muscle regained its strength and I may get new fissures and spasms unfortunatelly. AS long your cut reliefs from spasms, it should be enough, as idea is to relax muscle, and it does not have correlation with fissure length as I understand this.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Mypoorbutt » 07 Nov 2016, 08:17

Thanx pinpin,
Were you spasm free for those 3 years then. I would be ecstatic if i could get 3 years pain free. Can you have another LIS or botox now
Im concerned as i remember reading once in one of my desperate pain induced trawls of the internet that the cut needs to be as long as the fissure and my surgeon didnt want to do LIS as my fissure is so long. Just getting panicky i guess as my op is tomorrow and i need it to work.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby pinpin » 07 Nov 2016, 08:52

I think no worries. Some of forum members had the same dilemma, but fissure occurred to be as long as anal channel, apparently it was not a justification to cut full length of sphincter.

Cut reduce strength of the muscle, so it will not be able spasm itself till pain, and pain causing more spasm. This is where we have infinity cycle of pain spasm pain, eliminating condition for healing
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good