anal fissure

help please

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

anal fissure

Postby joeyjmr8484 » 20 Oct 2016, 05:26

Hi, I was diagnosed with an anal fissure 17 days ago by my gastroenterologist and was prescribed Nifedipine cream. The prescription was compounded and to be used twice daily. It has been 14 days days now and I see no results thus far. My next appointment with my doctor isn't until January 3. I am having pain after a bowel movement that can last for 8 hours sometimes. I would like to know if there is any over the counter pain medication or creams I can use with the Nifedipine. Would preperation H be OK to use with Nifedipine cream? Anyone suggest any prescription medications? I have an appointment with my psychiatrist on Novemeber 3rd, would she be able to prescribe me some pain medication?
joeyjmr8484

Topics: 1

Re: anal fissure

Postby Fissurefrustration » 20 Oct 2016, 09:32

Hi Joey,

welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Firstly, I'm sorry to see your struggling with pain and I've been there myself... Sadly there isn't a miracle cure for Anal Fissures and what works for some doesn't work for all. You've only been on the Nifedipine for just over two weeks so the main advice I have for you is be patient. I know it's not what any of us want to hear but patience with this kind of treatment is essential.

When I was in your position I panicked and tried everything at once, every lotion potion and cream I could find online I slathered my rear end with and it was a huge mistake. My skin broke down from the moisture meaning any movement, on or off the toilet was agony and resulted in a fungal infection.

Keep going with the cream, take on a good intake of H20, and try having small baths after every BM if possible! Avoid toilet paper, try to get the toilette wipes that have 0% nasty chemicals in, avoid anything that could irritate the area.

with regards to analgesia and pain relief, avoid anything Codeine based as that could constipate you! that's the last thing you want. Regular paracetamol is good, maybe with some anti-inflammatory tablets such as ibuprofen could help.

if I were you I'd request to be referred to a colorectal surgeon who could advise on treatment and have a proper look back there. A huge problem in GI medicine is that patients get as far as a general practitioner who doesn't have the knowledge around such an intricate issue to really be able to advise on treatment.

Good luck and keep us posted, we are here if you need us.

Jay
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Re: anal fissure

Postby Vem4kids » 21 Oct 2016, 17:50

After 2 weeks of using Nifedipine I was convinced it was doing NOTHING. I was desperate and about to come unhinged. I asked any and every doctor I knew and nothing else was offered for pain management. ibuprofen helped a little. By the 3 or 4 week mark I had turned a corner. Now I am at the 6 week mark and I still have pain and spasms but no where near when I started treatment. I know everyone is different but if someone had told me to be patient and give it a good 4 weeks I don't think I would have been as desperate.
Vem4kids
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

anal fissure

Postby messis » 22 Oct 2016, 01:35

Panic is the worst consultant. I know I had it. First hemos 4th grade for 20 years. Then hemos surgery after hemos infection with 2 months recovery time in nlood and pain. And few months ago a fissure that made want to suecide.

I am over all and I have a happy butt now. The key is patience. And some simple things:
Soft stool (diet and some duphalac for example)
Quick BM (dont take ur time give a quick pressure)
Some warm water wash afterwards
And last but not least coconut oil after BM or after a swim or a dusche. It keeps skin moisturised and mainly it feeds the skin (gives the skin among others and collagen)

And stay calm.... dont give it up it will heal the quastion is how.soon u succed
Chris
messis
Salt Bather

Topics: 6