Second AF, WILL NOT heal

Any help appreciated

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Second AF, WILL NOT heal

Postby GilmoreGirl » 19 Oct 2016, 19:18

Hi all,

New here. I'm getting pretty desperate for some relief at this point!

I had my first anal fissure one year ago, which my doctor believes was a result of inflammatory bowel disease. It was very painful, but I was prescribed nifedipine cream with lidocaine and procto-foam (hydrocortisone) and it cleared up within a week.

I've had a very bad re-occurrence, and this time nothing seems to be working. Last time I had the fissure, the pain would go away within a couple of hours following a bm. This time, the pain is constant and unbearable. The muscles down there are so tight and spasmed, i almost feel bruised in the entire pelvic region. I need to take sleeping pills in order to sleep, and ibuprofen/acetaminophen and the creams I used previously are doing nothing. It has been 21 days of not being able to work (and not being paid), or go to school (I'm supposed to graduate from my master's in December - but now this may not happen!!!). I am barely able to go to the store by myself.

The ONLY time I feel any relief is taking a sitz bath with coconut oil and Epsom salts. I am on a heating pad or ice pack all day. In desperation I went back to my GP and asked for a muscle relaxant. She prescribed me cyclobenzaprine 10mg, which I have just taken for the first time. I also purchased some polysporin cream with antibiotics and pain relief. I have made an appointment with my gastroenterologist, but despite my begging, I could only make an appointment for December (two months from now).

Has anyone had any relief with the muscle relaxants or polysporin? What are some signs that the fissure is healing? At this point I just need some hope that things will return to normal. I'm a personal trainer and student, and this fissure is not only stopping me from working and studying but also from exercising and doing all the things that a 24 year should be able to do.

Apologies for the long winded message...but it feels good to get it all out in words!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Re: Second AF, WILL NOT heal

Postby Savaici » 20 Oct 2016, 20:26

I had results from taking a muscle relaxant, at night only. The only time I was comfortable and without the dreadful spasms. A colon and rectal surgeon is a much better bet with anal fissures. Find the best one where you live.

Sorry you're in such pain :smilyhug: I know exactly what it's like...
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby GilmoreGirl » 21 Oct 2016, 07:13

Thanks Savaici for the response. Trying to get in to see a CR surgeon but the wait times are incredible...9-10 months.

So far I feel as though the muscle relaxant is helping with pain about 10-20%. Better than nothing!

Another question - I'm debating taking a stool softener (ducosate sodium) but because of my ibs, I'm worried it will give me diarrhea, which Is what caused this problem in the first place. My stools are not particularly hard right now, the problem is that I HAVE to go twice a day...giving no time for the fissure to heal. Is the stool softener a good idea? Does anyone have any experience cutting the liquid gel and taking only half a dose?

Thanks
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby Mypoorbutt » 21 Oct 2016, 07:39

Hi,
Don't know if this is any help, I got my fissure through IBD diarrhoea and I now take psyllium husks...I have to take loperamide as well most days but the psyllium has really helped absorb water from my colon meaning less watery BMs.
Not sure if that's any help to you as you might be looking for something different but hope you find some relief
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby GilmoreGirl » 22 Oct 2016, 18:06

Thanks, I may just try that once things are back to normal!

I've started taking a stool softener for now and have been eating a very bland, minimal diet while drinking lots of water and some Gatorade. However, I have improved at least 50% since starting to use polysporin (a triple action one with three antibiotics and pain relief). I'm wondering if my constant intense pain could have been due to infection? The improvement was so quick, I'm wondering if the polysporin helped clear something up.

Anyways, first two good days in a month....hopefully can stay on this track!
GilmoreGirl
VIP