Is there a painkiller that is effective?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Is there a painkiller that is effective?

Postby Dandelion_lawn » 23 Oct 2016, 17:51

When I was in the hospital recently for a non-fissure related issue, they gave me fentanyl. It was so nice, my fissure stopped hurting for the first time in weeks. Advil and Tylenol don't seem to do anything at all, but I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, so I'd like to see if he'll give me anything. Has anyone been prescribed anything that actually works?
Dandelion_lawn

Topics: 1

Re: Is there a painkiller that is effective?

Postby chiaseed » 03 Nov 2016, 19:09

Hi,

Posting this in case you still need advice, or someone else looking later does.
You can ask for a topical analgesic like lidocaine, apply this 15 or so minutes before a BM, and that should reduce pain. Frankly, when my AF is bad, smoking pot before having a BM helps.
chiaseed
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Is there a painkiller that is effective?

Postby thedude » 04 Nov 2016, 14:39

From my experience, I think the only thing that would work would be something stronger like a fentanyl. However, the CRS docs generally don't like to prescribe opioid based pain pills as they can cause constipation which further compounds the problem.

My general practitioner gave me some tramadol, but it didn't really do much. My CRS didn't give me any pain meds at all and just prescribed me topical lidocaine 5%, but honestly, I don't feel like it helped that much either. The best thing in the end for me was surgery..that's what got rid of the pain.
thedude
Salt Bather

Topics: 3