Post-fissurectomy recovery times?

Recovery after surgery

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Post-fissurectomy recovery times?

Postby stevestate » 21 Oct 2016, 09:25

Day 7 of taking Dulcolax (bisacodyl) and Day 6 of no stool softeners.

Very similar to the day before.

Going to up the dosage of laxative from 1 to 2 to see if that helps.
stevestate
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby stevestate » 22 Oct 2016, 03:55

Day 8 of taking Dulcolax (bisacodyl) and Day 7 of no stool softeners.

Ugh...Upped dosage to 2xlaxatives. First BM explosive. Second BM like water. Third BM perfect for our condition. But obviously 3 BMs would test most people without this condition, so it's far from ideal. Stinging and general discomfort throughout the day. Need to get on an even keel for the healing to start.

Going back to one laxative and considering trying the stool softeners again.
stevestate
Fibre Addict

Postby stevestate » 24 Oct 2016, 03:59

Day 9 of taking Dulcolax (bisacodyl) and Day 8 of no stool softeners.

Better day. 2 BMs. First BM perfect - small and soft stools easily passed. Second BM early afternoon much looser. Not too much stinging. Some slight discomfort and jabs of pain but generally a positive day.

Ate wholemeal seeded bread for the first time since avowing not to eat bread (have been eating sunflower seed rye bread) until I'm healed. Thought I could try to counteract the laxative with more of a 'normal' diet. Had falafel and roasted peppers with tahini for lunch. Chinese for dinner - crispy duck with pancakes, crispy seaweed got to get the fibre in somewhere!) and yuk sung. We'll see how my body reacts to that tmrw.
stevestate
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 24 Oct 2016, 04:08

Know how you feel with too many BMs that's been my issue all along. Do you think there is an alternative to the laxatives...you have probably tried it all but what about magnesium or coconut or mineral oil, maybe figs n apricots. I just worry that with laxatives you could end up having seriously explosive BMs.
My CRS said the more watery the stool the harder it is to get the area to heal as they are by nature more acidic, I have spent the last 8 months trying to get a Bristol 3 as even a Bristol 4 leaves too much residue and the stinging and burning lasts for hours.
Hope you find a happy medium...which is so hard to do...if only we could have a serious talk with our colon and ask it to co-operate just for a while.
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby stevestate » 24 Oct 2016, 05:12

Thanks.

Well the alternative was stool softeners but they didn't work and may have started to constipate me towards the end. They worked perfectly for 3 months.

V interesting re the acidic watery stools. Have certainly been hammering the figs and other dried fruit and that may be part of the problem, combining both. I feel more secure taking the laxatives and eating less fibre. I write the diary entries the day after in order for a fuller picture. But this morning after Chinese and bread my BM was much firmer and I can't feel another BM coming on which I have done in previous days. So I'll keep trying eating a bit more normally with one laxative for a few days.

I'm heading to see my new GP today (joy!) but I feel like I know more about this subject than most GPs. My previous GP was clueless and probably set me back several months.
stevestate
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 24 Oct 2016, 10:44

It's so hard to find what works...I really envy people who go once a day....I find myself being jealous of my daughter who goes like clockwork at 8 every morning...that's how sad my life is lol
Good luck with the GP the only one I saw who was any good had had a fissure himself most of them haven't got a clue.
It's good you only went once today hope that continues for you
Mypoorbutt

Postby stevestate » 25 Oct 2016, 03:18

Day 10 of taking Dulcolax (bisacodyl) and Day 9 of no stool softeners.

Just 1 BM. Much larger, less soft (though still soft in a general sense) stools. The laxative really pushed it all out (too?) quickly. Quite a lot of stinging throughout the day with occasional pain & discomfort. After eating 'normally' the day before, this might be the best combination - eating fairly healthily with some things that I wouldn't have touched previously and then taking a laxative overnight.

My diet today was porridge (w/flax, chia, sunflower, linseed and pumpkin seeds, dried fruit, blueberries, almond butter, coconut milk), falafel w/ roasted peppers and red onion and a tahini dressing, cauliflower/kale,potato soup with one slice of wholemeal seeded bread. As this is v high fibre I'm tempted not to take laxative to reduce the explosive forced nature of the BMs.

Saw my new GP who advise 8 weeks would be considered usual recovery time. I'm around 5 weeks.
stevestate
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 25 Oct 2016, 03:39

Im soooo jealous of your food lol.
Yes I agree maybe just the one laxative as with all that nice fibre you don't want it all happening too quickly
My GP said the 8 weeks but my CRS said can be up to 12 sometimes longer depending on your BMs so don't worry if your still getting stinging n burning.
Hope today goes well for you
Mypoorbutt

Postby stevestate » 26 Oct 2016, 04:26

Agghh. So no laxative. Bit of an error. One BM but v similar to when I thought the stool softeners had stopped working. BM starts at 3 on the Bristol stool chart - very difficult to get out and painful. It then turns into a 4 which goes on for far too long. Reading around this forum it seems I might be overloading the fibre.

Will take a laxative tonight. May need to change my diet too...
stevestate
Fibre Addict

Postby stevestate » 27 Oct 2016, 02:41

Day 12. Despite the laxative my first BM was v painful. V hard stool, same as yesterday on the Bristol scale - 3 then 4. Lots of stinging and discomfort all day. Decided to try the stool softeners again. Starting with 3 (previously on 5 a day for a few months). Was really low all day as I'm sure we all get with this thing of ours. Just feels like it's never going to go away.

Could feel the stool softeners working throughout the day. That strange popping flatulence. This is good though! Had a second BM around 8.30pm which is unusual. Was a perfect BM - probably a 5. So I already started to feel brighter getting the the feeling I had when the stool softeners were doing their job prior to surgery.

Will try a sachet of Movicol in the morning and leave the laxatives for a while.
stevestate
Fibre Addict