And here is another sad story

New introduction

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

And here is another sad story

Postby Misty789 » 18 Oct 2016, 17:44

I'm a female and have had vaginal childbirth. I was hoping to not join a forum like this, as I am sure most here also, and I was hoping that mine was a once in a lifetime kind of experience, as others here, but ... here I am.

I had an anterior fissure about 10 years ago, that just would not heal and bleed a bit every time, but it was not so bad so I ignored it until it got chronic, with a skin tag and more painful. I went to a colorectal surgeon and she recommended a LIS. At that time, I've never heard of it and did not want it, so I decided to suffer. Interestingly enough, it healed and I was pretty much ok (I did get a thrombosed external hemorroid in 2013, which was incredibly painful, but healed on it's own) for the rest of the time until winter 2014.

Got another fissure, posteriorly, it healed, then another, anteriorly (new area), healed, than 3 at a time, healed, and on and on... This has been pretty much the pattern for 2.5 years now. Just as they heal, new ones start. Some in the same places, some in new places, multiple ones. Get a break here and there, and then start again.
So, I bought the squatty potty, and that made for more posterior fissures. I guess it changes the way you sit and where the pressure goes.

I'm pretty regular, daily, vegetarian, good diet, not much exercise, slim, I've tried suppositories, blood pressure creams but I get massive headaches, coconut oil. I've seen 6 colorectal surgeons over these 2 years, and have had that many anal exams and one colonoscopy, with no findings. None of the doctors want to do a LIS because all these fissures are not chronic. But I really want a solution so I am pursuing a LIS. Just need to find a good doctor, and I live in a rural area with not good hospitals around.

So, that's the long and short of it. Please advise and I wish speedy healing to everyone. :comfort:
Misty789
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: And here is another sad story

Postby Mypoorbutt » 19 Oct 2016, 04:27

Hi Misty,
No advice I'm afraid just lots of awe that you have managed so long with so many fissures. I have two one small and one quite bad...but that is agony how on earth have you coped??
Does it matter that it's not the same fissure surely the fact your getting so many is actually worse than just the one that won't heal?
I wish you luck in finding a doctor that will give you LIS and hope this all stops soon it must be awful
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Misty789 » 20 Oct 2016, 11:26

Thanks Mypoorbutt,
You're right, it's not been easy and my life has significantly changed over the last 2 years and the bathroom is the most hated room in the house for me. I really wish for a colostomy, but when I asked for that, the surgeon won't do it. I keep looking...
Misty789
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 20 Oct 2016, 12:00

I too asked for a colostomy when my spasms were at the worst....there are cases where they can and will do a colostomy for fissures...if 2 LIS attempts don't heal them and the person has lost a significant amount of body weight or is malnourished. I am currently having tests for malnourishment as I have lost 6 stones in the 14 month since I got this awful thing....I would seriously push for LIS are you in the UK or US as I know in the UK after a certain amount of time they will give you a resting pressure test and if your sphincter pressure is high they will offer LIS.
Don't give up no one should have to exist in this amount of pain
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby juzaaaa » 20 Oct 2016, 15:24

I really felt less alone after reading your story so thank you. Sorry you are in pain. I also use squatty potty and my fissure is posterior, so maybe I should just stop using it. I think, I red a study where they found that acute fissure actually caused higher spinchter tone, than chronic one. So acute fissure might actually hurt more.
juzaaaa
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Misty789 » 20 Oct 2016, 19:43

Hi Mypoorbutt,
I am in the US. Thanks for your encouragement. I am still looking for a good surgeon either in Boston or in Connecticut. I called around today but no luck so far. Definitely can't go on like this.
Hi Juzaaaa, I think you may be right. They are quite painful. I think it would be better to just have one chronic one than constantly tearing a new one..
Misty789
Salt Bather

Postby Misty789 » 26 Oct 2016, 21:42

Just to update. I take Colace, magnesium citrate and tons of vitamin C daily to keep my stool soft and go everyday. If not, I use glycerin suppository, to make sure I go. With all this.. as of today, most of the fissures have healed, except the one that is right over the old anterior external hemorrhoid that was thrombosed. This one is very deep and it looks like it will tear all the way into the vein any moment. This one is not healing and has thick edges around it.
In the meantime, I have an appointment scheduled for next month to see a new CRS. Wish me luck.
Misty789
Salt Bather

Postby sandrasmiles7 » 27 Oct 2016, 00:57

Good luck. Keep us posted. I just had LIS so if you get scared feel free to ask me any questions
sandrasmiles7
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Misty789 » 31 Oct 2016, 21:58

Thanks sandrasmiles7. How are you doing? As for me, finally healed all those fissures, and had a few good days, then tore some new ones... what a cycle..
Misty789
Salt Bather

Postby Misty789 » 10 Nov 2016, 20:50

Update. The latest. I now have a large posterior fissure, with some inside the canal that i can't see. Tore all these yesterday. Massive spasm and in pain all the time. Today, had to take oxycodone 5 mg, as I could not bear it any longer, and have a migraine. I did not think a body can have this much pain.... My CRS appointment is at the end of this month...
Misty789
Salt Bather