Looking for encouragement

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Looking for encouragement

Postby ouch_88 » 16 Nov 2016, 06:58

Hi all, I'm new here.

I've been reading through some of the posts and I'd first like to congratulate you all on staying so strong throughout everything you're going through. Some of these stories have had me in tears. You all deserves medals.

I'm really looking for a bit of encouragement, I've been suffering with an anal fissure for 3 weeks now and I'm struggling to stay positive. I have pain and blood, first diagnosed with a heammaroid but later found out it was actually an AF.

I have been under a lot of stress lately, mainly due to ongoing struggle with a slipped disc in my back, I also got shingles last month so my health hasn't been great!! I don't generally get constipated and I'm quite regular but the doctor has given me laxatives to ensure nothing hard comes out of there!

Everytime I feel I am making progress I end up feeling dissapointed when I spot blood again. And it's hard trying not to pay attention to the 1-2 weeks standard healing time most websites claim.

Can anyone give me some positive vibes or success stories to help me feel stronger?

ouch_88
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Looking for encouragement

Postby Savaici » 16 Nov 2016, 07:17

Welcome to the group. A fissure does often heal easily, but it can also become the bane of one's life! Has your doctor given you something (an ointment/cream) to apply? If not, ask for something - Diltiazem is usually very good, and so is GTN. Your fissure is in the acute stage, just the time to catch it.

We have a great search engine on the forum, located just under the cover pic and the information about us, between FAQ and Portal. You can search by topic there and there is a vast amount of info written by others.

:wel: to the forum. Glad you found us!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby ouch_88 » 16 Nov 2016, 07:52

Thanks Savaici :o

My Dr hasn't given me any ointment. I'm in the UK and Diltiazem isn't licenced here but I'll ask about GTN! The Dr told me to take the laxatives for a month so if it's still not better next week I'll go back and see her.

:gah: what a horrible condition
ouch_88
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 16 Nov 2016, 09:14

Hi you can get Diltiazem here in the UK I tried it but was allergic...,it has to be prescribed by a CRS first or that's what my GP said. I use GTN and that has a good success rate. Try and get the cream as soon as you can because the earlier you start it the better....are you getting any spasms
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby ouch_88 » 16 Nov 2016, 11:48

Hi Mypoorbutt

I'm in Scotland and I think the rules are maybe different here? I remember my Dr saying something about it but can't remember exact details.
I don't think I've been getting spasms. Just sore when I have a BM and sometimes sporadically during the day. My pain does seem to be getting better and I'm noticing it's a bit itchy on and off now, hoping that's a good sign. It's just hard when you think you're making progress and then you see more blood :cry:
Hard to cope with at work especially! End up getting stressed about it and thinking about it constantly.

I've just arrived home and about to have a nice warm bath and try to relax...
ouch_88
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 16 Nov 2016, 12:12

Oh it's really good you don't have the spasms as it's those that stop the healing and you end up in a vicious cycle. You never know the blood could be coming from a hem and not your fissure if you have both. I'm sure you will be healing nicely and may not even need any cream.
Enjoy your bath
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby GilmoreGirl » 16 Nov 2016, 19:02

Sorry to hear you've got to deal with this issue, especially along with so much else going on!!!

My doctor prescribed me a different cream, nifedipine (with lidocaine mixed in), which worked quite well to heal my first acute fissure within a week.

I've also used an over the counter antibiotic gel called polysporin (I'm in Canada, not sure if you have that brand in the UK). This particular one had three different types of antibiotic and lidocaine added in - in the least I found it soothing.

In case you're finding the laxatives too harsh, you may want to try a stool softener instead (like ducosate sodium or miralax), it may be more gentle.

Best of luck - I'm sure you will pull through this in no time!!
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby ouch_88 » 17 Nov 2016, 04:18

Thanks GirlmoreGirl :)

My pain is definitely decreasing and there doesn't seem to be as much blood so I'm hoping I won't need any cream. I just really hope it's improving and it doesn't get worse. The laxatives aren't too bad but I think I'm maybe getting used to them.

Trying my best to stay positive and believe I'm healing! I've got a relaxing weekend ahead and plan to go back to the Dr next week to discuss if things don't continue to improve.
ouch_88
Fibre Addict

Postby GilmoreGirl » 17 Nov 2016, 13:12

Great! It definitely sounds like you're on the mend, especially since the pain is decreasing!! Do your best not to get discouraged. I know from experience how hard that is. It will help that you are able to relax this weekend - be easy on yourself, and just give your body the time and care it needs to heal! It helps me to remember that, although it's in a bad location, a fissure is just a cut like any other!

Hang in there - don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or just need to chat - everyone on this board is so incredibly supportive. They're helping me through a rough time and I don't know what I would do without them!
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby ouch_88 » 21 Nov 2016, 04:17

Morning everyone

Thanks for your kind words GilmoreGirl, really helps me to stay positive!

Things still seem to be moving in the right direction. I had pretty much no blood over the weekend, I am still quite sore when I have a BM but the pain passes quite quickly. Does anyone notice that their pain sometimes flares up during the day if they're particularly busy or stressed? I notice it goes away when I'm relaxed. I have also started to get increasingly itchy. Hoping this means I am healing...

After a weekend with no blood I did have some in my BM this morning :( despite this it still feels better though so I'm trying to be patient. I'm conscious that this week will mark 1 month since I started getting symptoms but I suppose it's just going to take time to heal. Fingers crossed....
ouch_88
Fibre Addict