What can I do at home?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

What can I do at home?

Postby Han15 » 22 Nov 2016, 21:50

Newish to having a fissure. Have not been diagnosed by my dr as she said she couldn't see anything(she was looking for a hemorrhoid) but my husband said I have a very red tear at the 6 o clock mark that looks really raw. I'm having burning, stinging and bright blood every few days. I just lost my Insurance so need to be able to treat this at home if possible. Thanks!
Han15
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: What can I do at home?

Postby Lsfb1989 » 23 Nov 2016, 11:39

Lots of water, and fibre! Not sure where you are in the world but Miralax/Movicol/Laxido is OTC in the UK.
Lsfb1989
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Re: What can I do at home?

Postby GilmoreGirl » 04 Dec 2016, 18:35

Sorry to hear you're suffering - no fun at all.

I used a couple of over the counter creams with both an acute fissure I healed about two years ago and my current chronic fissure which is on the mend:

- baby wipes! Very soothing. I also have wipes with witch hazel which are very cooling, or you can buy witch hazel in other forms

- triple antibiotic polysporin (in Canada) with 5% lidocaine - the lidocaine is soothing and inreally found the polysporin to be healing

- zincofax or other zinc oxide cream - this is messy and i used only at night. It is a protective barrier cream. I would put on the polysporin and wait 10 min then add a blob of this on top and go to bed.

- sitz bath with Epsom salts and coconut oil, especially after a bowel movement

And as others have said fibre (maybe psyllium husk!) and water, and a stool softener like miralax if you find you need it. Hope that helps!
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18