First time anal fissure

Any athletic people

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

First time anal fissure

Postby Cfak » 29 Nov 2016, 22:36

I am on my 3rd week on bedrest. I was wondering if it is safe to start going back to my exercise routine ( push ups, squares, light weights, swimming, running , bike riding) once I heal and don't feel any pain. Anyone who is an athlete with an anal fissure?
Cfak
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: First time anal fissure

Postby GilmoreGirl » 04 Dec 2016, 18:27

Hi there,

I'm a personal trainer and have pretty much been on bedrest for 9 weeks with a fissure, so I feel your frustration!

The first time I had a fissure it lasted about two weeks, and I resumed lighter than normal exercise at about 4 weeks, and back to normal in 5 or 6 - heavy squats and cardio included!

However if your fissure is more serious I would give lots of time. Check with your doctor to see what they think, and maybe consider seeing a physiotherapist to help you ease back in to it.

In my opinion (and this is just my personal opinion, not from a health practitioner), I would feel safer starting with light cardio first, as that will help promote blood flow without straining too much. Then I would move to light lifting, focusing on isolation movements (leg curls, tricep press, that kind of thing) rather than moves that require bracing (like squats or deadlifts). I would also make sure you really have the correct breathing and technique down before moving on - this will help prevent too much pressure down there!!

I really hope that helps - again, all just my opinion, but I'm in the same boat!
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby tightybehind » 05 Dec 2016, 12:54

Another gym-goer here. I've been dealing with my chronic fissure the last two weeks and it really is not healing this time. I've been trying to take it easy, but doing cardio (walking briskly on incline) and some light lifting. The last time I lifted (two days ago), I noticed I really irritated hemmies as well. Is bedrest the only way to heal?

I've been trying to eat soft foods, but in addition have continued to eat my egg whites, chicken, protein powder, and creatine. Should I stop all those for now, and stick to the beans/veggies/other soft foods for now?
tightybehind
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Postby GilmoreGirl » 05 Dec 2016, 13:17

Hi tightybehind,

To be honest I did completely rest but the pain from my fissure was incredible, I was on morphine all day for over a month. Yours may be more mild. What about just sticking to light cardio for now, or just taking a week or two off?

I tried to maintain a protein rich diet for as long as I could but wasn't able because I barely could eat. What about backing off a little, maybe making protein powder smoothies with lots of stool softeneing fruits, some veg maybe, and some Metamucil and miralax? May not be the tastiest thing but will keep your stools soft to make sure you can heal.

Rad to the doc if you haven't already, some prescription creams may help if you don't have one already.
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby tightybehind » 05 Dec 2016, 13:21

Oh wow, yeah, I think mine is more mild than that. Hope you are close to recovering.

Thanks, I will stick to light cardio and soft fiber-rich foods.
tightybehind
Fibre Addict

Postby GilmoreGirl » 05 Dec 2016, 13:26

Glad to hear it! I was surprised at how much Metamucil helped me - it's just psyllium fibre so easy to add to smoothies and stuff. Keeps stool soft but formed, easy to pass.

Best of luck and update us here!
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby tightybehind » 06 Dec 2016, 09:10

I've been using citrucel and with high fiber diet, it's been working for me in terms of keeping things relatively regular. My problem is the tear doesn't seem to be healing. It was close to after two weeks, then this weekend we went on a 3-hour car ride and it feels like back to square one. . . Immense pain when going and hours afterwards.
tightybehind
Fibre Addict

Postby tightybehind » 06 Dec 2016, 09:23

Cfak and Gilmoregirl, any updates?
tightybehind
Fibre Addict

Postby GilmoreGirl » 06 Dec 2016, 09:45

Have you been to the doctor? They can give you a cream like nifedipine or nitro that will help relax the muscle, promote blood flow and aid healing. I've also used an otc polysporin antibiotic gel with lidocaine that has helped some, as well as sitz baths
GilmoreGirl
VIP