Been on Diltiazem for 10 months... is that common?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Been on Diltiazem for 10 months... is that common?

Postby Neox29 » 31 Dec 2016, 11:04

I've been on it for 10 months and I'm still not healed. I'm virtually pain free if I keep using it but if I stop for a week, then it's back to the same pain.

Now the 10 months that I've been on. I haven't been consistent, sometimes once a day, sometimes twice, sometimes I skip a day.

I was scheduled for LIS surgery but then a couple weeks before the surger I decided to get off diltiazem and see how I would feel. Miraculously I went 2!weeks without any pain. I thought I was as healed so I canceled!

I was wrong... the pain is back. Now my doctor wants me to try for another 3 months.

I feel like my doctor keeps wanting me to stay on diltiazem. I mean I've been on it for nearly a year... is that common?!!
Neox29

Topics: 2

Re: Been on Diltiazem for 10 months... is that common?

Postby sandrasmiles7 » 08 Jan 2017, 23:31

I had the surgery and the surgery site did not heal very well. I think the fissure did but now I have to use the diltiazem to heal the site. I have had no luck. My doctor said if in 6 months it doesn't heal to schedule a appointment. Very disappointed
sandrasmiles7
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby thedude » 10 Jan 2017, 13:37

I was on diltiazem for 3-4 months. Seemed to of started working per my dr, but then the fissure started getting deeper. At that point my dr recommended surgery.
thedude
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Neox29 » 12 Jan 2017, 11:32

Okay well I just don't know. I'm nearing a year on diltiazem. I feel like that can't be healthy... let's see
Neox29

Topics: 2

Postby Mypoorbutt » 12 Jan 2017, 12:42

I have been on GTN for nearly 18 months now, it's still helping so I'm not stopping it yet lol. I don't think there is an issue unless they are using it as some sort of plaster...for example stay on that then you don't need Botox or LIS, my CRS said if the creams haven't worked after 3 months they aren't going to heal the fissure just help manage the pain.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby LemonMan » 12 Jan 2017, 14:33

I've decided to come off diltiazem now. It was starting to give me quite bad hemerrhoids, which is a complication I can do without. My understanding is diltiazem will help you heal if your tear is quite fresh, otherwise you end up with a open sore which will never really heal. Fortunately once you get to that stage the spasms usually taper off, but not for everyone, so some need to take either diltiazem or GTN to control the spasms.

If you go for botox or surgery they will normally remove any scar tissue and essentially make the tear fresh again, so you have a better chance of healing. At least that's my understanding.

Good Luck, LemonMan
Aug 14: Anal Abscess diagnosed
Dec 15: Anterior Anal Fissure diagnosed
Jan 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of Jan
Apr 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of May
Sep 16: Fissure back. Started Anoheal again
May 17: Botox and banding - fingers crossed
LemonMan
VIP

Topics: 4