Newly diagnosed

Anal fissure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Newly diagnosed

Postby Heath » 12 Feb 2017, 07:46

I have been newly diagnosed with Crohn's disease 2 months ago. I've been doing some research an have just figured out the pain and bleeding I've had for the past 4+ years is an anal fissure. Now I know what it is what should I do about it? If there's a way to get rid of it I really would like to it's been horrible! Any help would be appreciated!
Heath

Topics: 1

Re: Newly diagnosed

Postby Mypoorbutt » 12 Feb 2017, 09:58

Hi Heath,
I too have crohns and an anal fissure but my fissure is not medically due to my crohns...apart from the multiple times my crohns makes me go to the toilet.
It's important to get your fissure diagnosed by a CRS and then to make sure they test it to find out whether it's is caused by crohns or just an unfortunate effect of the multiple BMs
You also need to get some cream prescribed there are a few to try diliatzem, GTN and others that increase blood flow to the area and stop the spasms, this will give the fissure an opportunity to heal. Then there are other options after but the choices are different depending on if your fissure is caused by crohns...you can have peri anal crohns that can cause fissures and fistulas.
You should have a good CRS and perhaps an IBD nurse that can help you.
Obviously in the mean time lots of hot baths and no wiping after a BM I use a shower head and if not wet wipes but another member said wet toilet paper is just as good. If you are having a flare out lots of barrier cream on before a BM as the watery BMs can be very acidic and can burn sensitive skin.
Good luck this will get better
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20