Daily journal after LIS of a 27 year old mom

LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Daily journal after LIS of a 27 year old mom

Postby Fyourmermaid » 27 Feb 2017, 22:45

Ive decided to write down this journey because hopefully when im recovered someone who will have to have the surgery can maybe find comfort in this. Ive read so many posts and forums about people who have had a sphincterotomy and reading them can really make me feel hopeful. This by far has been right up their with labor as far as pain level. Its been a week and hopefully you guys (whoever) finds this post and feels some comfort from it. So here i go.
Fyourmermaid
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: Daily journal after LIS of a 27 year old mom

Postby Fyourmermaid » 27 Feb 2017, 22:49

Surgery day i prepped by giving myself two enemas 1 hour apart. With an anal fissure having a bowel movement with such force was very painful. Surgery was under GA and i had a lateral internal sphincterotomy and two external hemorrhoids excised and cauterized. When i woke up i didnt feel pain. I felt full from my bum though. As an hour past i asked for vicodin since the discomfort level was heightening. That day i slept alot when i went home. I didnt eat that day for fear of my first bm. Pain level was about a 5.
Fyourmermaid
Salt Bather

Postby Fyourmermaid » 27 Feb 2017, 22:52

Day 2 was about a 5 and i religiously was taking vicodin. I did not want to feel the pain. I felt super gassy and there were a couple of times i couldnt control my farts. I ate oatmeal and toast this day for breakfast and salad with roasted chicken for dinner. I took my metamucil and stool softener twice a day. I started feeling pain about a 6. I was trying to ease myself off of vicodin. No bm this day. I was too scared even though i felt the urge.
Fyourmermaid
Salt Bather

Postby Fyourmermaid » 27 Feb 2017, 23:31

Day 3 and 4 were very hard. When i felt myself have the urge to have a bm i really was pushing hard. It was very painful and only went about halfway. I ended up using half a fleet enema to help me. It definitely helped me go...i went 10 times from day 3 and day 4 and i was in agony.i called the nurse advice line and she told me the enema was making me go so much. So i eased off metamucil that day and started taking ibuprofen instead of the 10mg vicodin i was prescribed to help with the constipation. I was definitely regretting the surgery. My pain level was about a 6 to 7 these days. I used ice packs,sitz baths and remained in cotton underwear or pantiless in hopes that letting my bum breathe would help help the cauterized external hemorrhoids site. I ate oatmeal, soup, granola bar, prunes and an egg these days.
Fyourmermaid
Salt Bather

Postby Fyourmermaid » 27 Feb 2017, 23:41

Day 5 and 6 were also very similar to each other. I felt stinging inside my bum which i assume was the stitches. Ibuprofen didnt help so much but ice packs and sitz baths helped numb the pain of the intense stinging. I took half a vicodin once to help me get through horrible pain after a painful bowel movement. It knocked me out. During this time my husband was really just responsible for helping with the kids. I would breastfeed and hand my baby right back over to him. Breastfeeding was also a factor in why i didnt want to take vicodon so much. Something that ive forgot to mention in all the posts was that i always have the sensation to go. I dont know if its due to my fear of having a full bowel movement or because of the fact that my bum was surgically cut and its messed with sensations.i also am feeling so very unlike myself. I miss my active relationship with my kids even though having the fissure the month prior to surgery i was still limited because of the pain. Ive been stuck on my phone trying to distract from the pain and utter pessimism ive felt for so long. Aside from feeling horrible emotionally i am still doing numerous ice packs a day because that sting is horrible. Ate the normal fiber rich food like salad of greens, oatmeal, avocado with egg and wheat toast. My bms are becoming regular which kindof sucks because i go about 4 times a day. 4 times of agony.
Fyourmermaid
Salt Bather

Postby Fyourmermaid » 27 Feb 2017, 23:51

Today marks a week since the surgery and its almost bedtime. I just want time to pass so i can feel normal again. I woke up not feeling much pain and felt happy a bit for once. Had my morning bm and i only had a pain of about 4! Im ecstatic at that point! I was able to take my son to school and back. I was able to sit down for a few minutes. Ive not had to do an ice pack just a small sitz bath.Im thinking progress finally! So i was eager to do something for my sons birthday tomorrow and while looking through huge heavy storage boxes for decorations i totally went back a step. I should have not been trying to lift anything! Starting feeling stinging again and had to do an ice pack. I had to lay down. I fell asleep as my mom watched my kids. My bms have been like glass today after the morning bm. Im so scared to go. For me they are more painful now than before surgery. Eating the same restricted foods that im so very tired of. I was able to hold my daughter for 20 minutes which was a small victory. Here's hoping tomorrow is better. Ill also check my bum tomorrow to check out the horror hopefully not to bad! PS. Im missing sex with my husband and i cant wait to try when im not in constant pain. Hopefully soon.
Fyourmermaid
Salt Bather

Postby Fyourmermaid » 28 Feb 2017, 21:52

Day 8- its almost 7 pm and im in a well needed sitz bath after the day. It was my sons bday and i was more active because of it. I woke up scared about my morning bm. But i went and got through it. It was a pain level 5. After i dropped my son off at school i took my boppy pillow to sit on to drive to the grocery store so i could buy my son a bday cake. I had alot of stinging pain. A lady cut me in line and i was so angry because it was painful just standing in line that id have to wait longer in. I was going to go to another store for more items but i was in too much discomfort. I waddled in the front door and immediately took a sitz bath. The pain overall today has been a 4 to 5 with bowel movement a being a 6 to 7. I think my routine of my stook softener and metamucil in the morning and same thing right before bed is working for me even if its just a tad. At this point im still eating alot of veggies and fruits. As much as i like veggies i honestly just want french fries! I had a half piece of chocolate cake that im hoping doesnt effect me too much tomorrows bms. Took ibuprofen 600mg twice today but honestly it doesnt take alot of the discomfort away. Sitz baths work better for that. Im feeling stinging and itching inside my bum. I also noticed i have some clear liquid that is blood tinged when i wiped onced. Im worried about an infection but im sure i would have increased pain and fever by now. I also checked my bumhole with a mirror. Honestly it looks like a normal bum and the only swollen part i see is the area where he cauterized my hemorrhoids. I hope that goes away. Still looks like a small hemorrhoid. I feel that i will still be in alot of pain the remainder of the week. I have hopes for next week. Monday i see my surgeon for a post op check up. Ill write about that. This has been so very hard. Ive lost 10 lbs since my fissure came about 6 weeks ago. I put off eating until its absolutely necessary. I miss exercising. I miss have variety when i eat. I miss being able to leave the house without fear of being in pain i have to come back home. And FYI a google search on the recovery time for a sphincterotomy i feel is seriously off 1 to 2 weeks. Um i dont think so buddy! Not unless i miracle happens before next monday.
Fyourmermaid
Salt Bather

Postby Jimbfree47 » 01 Mar 2017, 01:31

I can attest that it takes time even after LIS. I had mine 4 months ago and still have moments of pain and burning not so much during BM but after is where the discomfort starts. Even with no BM if I sit to long it begins to hurt. Better but not there. Plenty of water fiber intake veggies fruits . When the muscles are used to go to the toilet it can send the internal sphincter muscke to spasm around the site of the fissure. I have many moments now where no pain but I still get the spasms but they are short lived. I will take 1 maybe 2 hours over all day any time and no pain meds and I manage. Thats where I am after 4 months post surgery
Jimbfree47
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Fyourmermaid » 01 Mar 2017, 02:43

Thanks so much for the honesty! I feel a bit bothered by the people that got well right away. Jealousy i guess. Im hating 2017 overall and would just like to feel some what normal again. How long did it take you to start exercising again? Its very much missed:(
Fyourmermaid
Salt Bather

Postby Jimbfree47 » 01 Mar 2017, 03:02

I mainly do alot of walking when it gets uncomfortable sitting. Whats bad is when the muscles go into spasm with no warning. The stinging and burning without having a BM is usually trapped gas and scar tissue. Sometimes it can be very uncomfortable. I keep track of what I eat to pinpoint triggers.
Jimbfree47
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2