New here, looking for Botox advice

Next steps to take

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New here, looking for Botox advice

Postby patience_and_healing » 02 Mar 2017, 21:53

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum (29 year old woman) and while I'm glad it exists, at the same time I really wish I didn't have to be here.

I developed fissures in Dec 2016 after a bout of anxiety diarrhea. I had one back in Aug 2016 as well after bad constipation from antibiotics, but it healed very quickly. I don't know if the current ones are re-tears of the ones from August.

Fast forward to today, I've been using 0.125% nitroglycerin for 6 weeks, and just switched to 0.2% plus calmol 4 suppositories. I feel the suppositories are already helping a lot, but whether they will heal me remains to be seen.

I've been told by my GI that the next step after 2 weeks of 0.2% gtn is diltiazem or nifedipine for 2 weeks. If neither of those help, then it's time to see a surgeon for possible Botox.

I would like to know if Botox is a viable option if I have more than one fissure? I have pain at the 6 and 3 o'clock positions. I also had pain at 9 o'clock, when this first happened, but that thankfully has mostly cleared up now. The doctor has not been able to see anything at 3 o'clock, so I really don't know what the size of fissure is.

My pain levels are not as high as some of the descriptions I've read on here, but significant enough to interfere with simple daily activities like sitting and walking. I felt like I was getting better for a while, now I've regressed again. I'm doing the whole fiber, laxative, squatting, sitz bath stuff as well, to promote healing.

I would appreciate any advice I can get about the next steps to take. I haven't had children yet, so would like to avoid surgery that could put me at risk for future incontinence. Thanks so much! :)
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Re: New here, looking for Botox advice

Postby Mypoorbutt » 04 Mar 2017, 14:19

Hi sorry to hear your suffering
I think that if the creams don't heal you and your not in significant pain then Botox is probably your best next step. It will give your fissures at least 3 months of time when your sphincter is totally relaxed enabling them to heal fully.
As for incontinence you should be given a pressure test before the Botox and def before the LIS if you have a high resting pressure then there is very little risk of incontinence and if your pressure is normal then I would research about what the best course of action is.
Our bodies can always heal given time and the right circumstances
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Re: New here, looking for Botox advice

Postby patience_and_healing » 04 Mar 2017, 17:48

Thanks for your advice mpb. I'll make sure to ask for a pressure test before getting anything invasive done.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40