How can I tell whether I have spasms?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How can I tell whether I have spasms?

Postby mrAnonymous » 17 Mar 2017, 08:45

So I hear that a large part of why anal fissures don't heal is that you get spasms of the muscles down there - maybe the sphincter?

I'm not sure whether I have spasms. It kind of feels normal after a BM (although when there is pain it's a little tight) but generally I don't "feel" like I'm having a spasm. Would I know about it, or could a spasm be happening even if my anal area is just feeling normal?
mrAnonymous
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Re: How can I tell whether I have spasms?

Postby Savaici » 17 Mar 2017, 13:46

If you had spasms, believe me you'd know. They are similar to having a cramp in the calf that goes on and on, hour after hour. Give me childbirth any day!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Mypoorbutt » 17 Mar 2017, 14:01

Savaici wrote:If you had spasms, believe me you'd know. Give me childbirth any day!

Heck yes Savaici....I would rather deliver my 10lb daughter every day rather than have spasms :lol:
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby mrAnonymous » 17 Mar 2017, 14:49

Hmm. OK so it seems like I don't have them - well then I guess all the literature that claims the reason fissured don't heal because of spasms is wrong. I don't have spasms, and mine still doesn't heal.
mrAnonymous
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 17 Mar 2017, 15:48

There are other reasons my CRS says if you are having acidic BMs or have genetic poor wound healing then even a superficial fissure can take a long time to heal and a deep one may need flap surgery....a tight sphincter isn't always the reason just the main one so it gets all the attention....also you could have a naturally high sphincter tone without it going into spasms so that would slow down/stop the fissure from healing too
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby mrAnonymous » 17 Mar 2017, 16:07

I think my doctor said something like "high sphincter tone" when he examined it.
mrAnonymous
Fibre Addict

Postby William2 » 18 Mar 2017, 08:08

It's like having a charlie horse in your butt. With fissures, it's usually at its worst a few hours after a BM. "High sphincter tone" could probably also restrict blood flow.

With the fissure that I'm dealing with now, the nifedipine has mostly prevented spasms. However, every 3 days or so, the BM aggravates the fissure and sets the healing back. Since I've started using the "squat" position (sit on toilet but with feet on a stool), I've started to see improvement.
8/09 - 12/10: fissure, cured by LIS/fissurectomy
1/17 - present: fissure/hemms, healed but pain remained, 3 CRSs (nifedipine, infrared coag) were no help, cold dilating >= 1" helped but still have pain when sitting
William2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 24