Newbie...is it a fistula?

Advice

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Newbie...is it a fistula?

Postby Deleted User 6078 » 29 Mar 2017, 07:04

Hi Everyone

Bit of background - had a perianal abscess back in Nov 2014 which was operated on (when I was 32 weeks pregnant) and it all healed well just in time for giving birth in the January.

Fastforward to Sept 2016 and I was worried that the abscess had returned because I could feel a lump and it was painful. Had antibiotics and it stopped hurting, but I had a MRI anyway just in case.

MRI took place in Oct 2016 and then in Nov my GP called to say scan had come in and it looks like a fistula. I was then referred to a Colorectal Consultant.

Saw him in January 2017 and he said that because there was no discharge, pain or opening that he could find, that he wanted to leave it alone as he could cause more damage my operating on me. He couldn't tell me why I was in pain in Sept (possibly an infection or scar tissue being irritated). If within 6 months it started hurting or there is discharge I've been told to come back to him.

So...to now. Generally all is fine - but every now and then the lump feels bigger. Seems to coincide with my period, or if I'm run down or dehydrated. Hot salt baths help then.

I'm just worried that it is a fistula and I'm just leaving it to get worse. I've scheduled a phone consultation with my GP next week.

Any words of wisdom? Similar experiences?
Deleted User 6078

Re: Newbie...is it a fistula?

Postby Canadabum » 30 Mar 2017, 21:38

Wish I had some words of advice -- I think that consulting your doctor and making sure you get answers and checked out are the best things you can do -- sounds like you are approaching this well.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19