Hello from a newbie.. support/advice would be lovely x

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello from a newbie.. support/advice would be lovely x

Postby funkytrunk94 » 17 Dec 2016, 08:04

Hello everyone,
Newbie here, however I have been trawling through the boards for a number of years whilst suffering with my on-off AF problems. I thought I would finally join up as I could really do with some support and advice - as I'm sure you have all experienced, it can be hard to talk about these issues with loved ones and often they don't seem to be understand what a nightmare these experiences can be!
So I've had fissures on and off for the last few years, as well as the odd case of anal itching and internal hemmarhoids. im currently going through the worst case of AF I've had to date as thankfully mine have often cleared up within max 3 weeks in the past.
My current bout has lasted about 5 weeks so far. I have just returned from 3 months of travelling, during which I caught a parasite and unfortunately had persistent diarrhoea for about 2 weeks. During this period I took antibiotics (which in the past has been a trigger for AF), and i was religiously taking probiotics. The probiotics soon made my stool super healthy and very large, which I believe after the trauma of having diarrhoea to go straight to having great big stools, caused a fissure to emerge. What do you guys think about this theory?
I believe my fissure is in the same place that I've had it in the past, so I guess that means the spot is weakened and more susceptible to coming back.
My bleeding has also been a lot worse than it has been in the past, which obviously gets me
Worried. I plan to go to the docs on Monday to get examined, however I'm pretty sure I know what I'm dealing with.
Currently trying to stick to a soft diet, drinking ginger tea and eating prunes, and taking a tablespoon of olive oil before bed. Does anyone have any other recommendations? E.g. Coconut oil, MoM?
This one just doesn't seem to want to heal :( I'm using lidocaine but of course that doesn't help with healing.. can't use rectogesic as that had me in bed for 2 days crying in agony...
Another weird thing I have is lines that resemble stretch marks close to my bum crack.. (above my anus) they are painless but I can feel them when I touch them- they are like raised up soft lines, I'm not sure if they are some kind of veins that are bulging because of tight muscles round the anus? Theories would be welcomed...
Anyway that's my story, would be lovely to hear from some people who are in the same awful boat as me! Thank you so much x
funkytrunk94
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Hello from a newbie.. support/advice would be lovely x

Postby Mypoorbutt » 17 Dec 2016, 08:44

Hi FT, welcome to the forum,
Sorry to hear your suffering. I think that unless you have suffered the agony of an AF spasm then it's very hard to understand as we don't look ill and in essence it is just a cut, but all the nerve endings down there just turn a cut into torture.
I love my GTN but there are new creams to try like diliatazem that stop the spasms I was allergic to that though.
I guess the best thing for the pain is sitz baths as hot as you can this is often the only thing that helps me when my spasms are bad. You can put coconut oil or oregano oil in but you don't need too. Natural things like medi honey and extra virgin coconut oil are helpful and soothing. Comfrey can help with healing as long as you are getting a good blood flow to the area.
I got my fissure from years of diarrhoea so I can imagine that going from diarrhoea to large stools would cause an issue especially if you have a week area down there anyway.
Can't really offer much advice on foods as my issue is trying to firm up my BMs but yes coconut oil prunes whatever works best for you.
This is an awful thing to experience and I hope you manage to heal soon.
Fingers crossed
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby funkytrunk94 » 17 Dec 2016, 14:32

Hiya mypoorbutt, thank you for your reply. Really appreciate your words of support and sorry to hear you are also suffering. I will definitely see if I can get the cream you mentioned on prescription. Have a lovely evening xx
funkytrunk94
Fibre Addict

Postby tightybehind » 18 Dec 2016, 15:41

Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear you are suffering.

You sound like me . . . five weeks of pain from a previous AF. Also just got lidocaine for temporary pain. My hemorrhoids seem to be acting up on and off as well. When that happens, I apply an ice pack. . . I'm not sure if that's preventing the AF from healing. As far as ointments, coconut oil has worked for me in the past. I've also started taking a Citrucel (fiber supplement during the day) and magnesium supplement in the evenings. . . total 30-40 grams of fiber a day with the veggies, sweet potatoes, etc. BM's have been very regular, as soon as I wake up and walk a bit.

Have you been to CRS? I've found that the regular doctors don't seem to know much about this condition. I have an appt. with a CRS nurse tomorrow. Hoping to get a nifedipine prescription, as I'm prone to migraines.
tightybehind
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Postby funkytrunk94 » 21 Dec 2016, 15:13

Hi tighty, apologies for the delayed response.. thanks so much for getting in touch. Sorry to hear you are also suffering. I bought some coconut oil yesterday but not too sure what the best way to apply it is? I've heard you can put it on toilet paper and apply like that?
Going to the docs tomorrow to get examined, aiming for a referral as I agree they don't seem to know too much as I've experienced in the past. They can provide short term solutions but aren't interested in fixing the problem.
How did you get on at your appt the other day?
I had a fabulous 3 days of BMs with no pain or blood, then today was very painful but no blood. Pretty sure it was due to the whole grain sub I had for lunch yesterday, as I'd cut out all bread the previous two days and had really noticed the difference.
So anyway hope tomorrow brings some relief and decent results. I'm suspecting I have a couple of hemerroids lurking there too, so hopefully the doc can at least identify what's going on down there.
funkytrunk94
Fibre Addict

Postby tightybehind » 21 Dec 2016, 19:12

I would advise against toilet paper. Either use finger (you can use/make finger cots) or q-tip. Toilet paper is way too harsh.

I ended up decreasing fiber to around 25grams as was getting too much, producing bulky stools.

The CRS Prescribed nifedipine which I picked up on Tuesday afternoon. By that evening, things started loosening up back there and this morning, felt better than I have in weeks. It still hurt while I was having BM, but the rest of the day I was comfortable. I highly recommend nifedipine if you are not healing. It was not covered by insurance but worth every penny of the $60 I paid.
tightybehind
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Postby Iamdez » 27 Dec 2016, 13:04

Hi im also a newbie and i opted for surgery for anal fissure.
been in pain for 3 mos serously crying everytime i went Bm. Was more painful than dysmenorrhea.
Btw im from Philippines and will keep you posted. Too bad my schedule is on Dec 31 No good food lol but i cant wait huhu
Iamdez