DIY Herbal Coconut Oil Suppositories

9 months of suffering, healed in 2 weeks.

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

DIY Herbal Coconut Oil Suppositories

Postby occam » 30 Jan 2017, 00:38

this is my first post here. i’m a 36 y/o male who is otherwise healthy. i’ve been healed for five months and have been meaning to share my experience because it changed my life. i know some here have suffered for years. my ordeal lasted only nine months. nine long months. the first week or two i thought it was a bad hemorrhoid. by the end of the first month i found myself sitting in the waiting room of a colorectal surgeon. by then i suspected what he confirmed. an anal fissure. i had one. not the worst he had seen, but no walk in the park. i left with a prescription for nitroglycerin ointment, and an order to start taking soluble fiber, to stay hydrated, and to eat lots of fruits and vegetables. on my way home i picked up some psyllium husk powder and dropped off my script at the friendly neighborhood compound pharmacy.

skip ahead a few months and i'm in the throes of it. pain radiating down into the soles of my feet. daily bm dread. a few days of missed work. a general feeling of hopelessness setting in. i would have 3 or 4 good days, then a really bad one that i’d be feeling for the next week. the cycle went on and on. round two with my crs ended with him advocating for surgery and me feeling desperate, yet unconvinced.

let me take this moment to say that i've done a fair amount of research on this and i've come to the conclusion that anal fissures are like snowflakes, each one is unique. and each person must find their own path to healing. who's got two thumbs and thinks a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy is a good call for some people? this guy. that said, i was struggling with the concept that, in this case, my body couldn’t heal itself. with the right help, i believed it could. and the idea of cutting into healthy muscle, with it’s own set of risks and complications, spurred me on to try harder.

let me now take this moment to say that i think there is a wealth of knowledge that western medicine leaves largely untapped. we tend to treat symptoms, not causes. and with big pharma running the show, doctors don’t have all the available tools to do their jobs. and just like the rest of us, doctors can be misinformed.

personally, i’ve had many successes with naturopathic remedies, from treating acne and dandruff, to common colds and everyday hygiene. and although i generally prefer plant-based ingredients, the seriousness of my condition had me following doctor’s orders. the nitro ointment seemed to ease the spasms and didn’t have any major side effects. but my fissure and i were now going on 9 months together and i was loath to make it to our first anniversary.

so, i made a plan. i researched for several days and decided i would make my own suppositories. the information i found led me down a serpentine path. i came across a bizarre and controversial website: gutsense.org, and book: fiber menace, both by author and former Wall Street systems analyst turned self-made intestinal health guru, Konstantin Monastyrsky. he opposes the use of psyllium husk and other soluble fibers in the treatment of fissures, basically says fiber is the root of all evil, i’m paraphrasing, and sells many fiber-free products on his website. in the end i kinda just lumped his whole thing in the same camp as scientology; like, that’s cool if it works for you, it’s not for me.

i also found drwheatgrass.com, which offers a wheatgrass recovery cream specifically recommended for fissures, but was unimpressed with myriad synthetic ingredients in their product. it did lead me to investigate the healing properties of wheatgrass in relation to anal fissures and i found many compelling anecdotes and some research indicating that it may indeed have a positive effect on health and healing in general, and for fissures, specifically. so, i added it to my list of ingredients.

i ended up looking at a ton of recipes for various homemade remedies; healing salves and creams, in addition to suppositories; and all the different ingredients one could use; their pros and cons, along with any scientific research available to provide evidence supporting or disputing their healing properties.

i also came across listentoyourgut.com and found, for the first time, a product that resembled the one i was trying to make. an all-natural, coconut oil-based, herb-infused suppository, using many of the same ingredients i was. their “Imix Nutrition FissureHeal Suppositories”, however, were sold out with “more stock coming in soon” in bright red letters. btw, i just checked their website and it still says that. so, i continued to cobble together my own recipe.

i ordered my ingredients and supplies and, thank you Amazon Prime, most of them arrived in two days. i had to spend a bit to get everything, but it’s better than surgery, amirite? anyway, my disposable suppository molds were the only thing that took forever (5 days) to come. while i waited for them to arrive i infused herbs into coconut oil in my slow cooker for 3 days. then the molds arrived and i set up my kitchen like a mad scientist’s laboratory and, mumbling little prayers under my breath, i filled each little cylindrical, cone-tipped mold with an aromatic, greenish-gold concoction that i had just created. i poured the leftovers into a glass jar. at room temp the mixture is soft, like a salve. but the suppositories have to be kept in the fridge. the cold is actually quite soothing.

i put one in after every bowel movement. once i’m clean and dry i insert a suppository partially at first to let it melt directly into the fissure, then insert the rest of the way. i kept the glass jar around to apply as needed. and when i did i carefully and gently applied internally, directly to the fissure as well.

the improvement was drastic. in about two weeks i felt completely and totally healed. i continued to use the suppositories for about a month. i still have a few in the fridge that i never used. that was five months ago. no relapses. anal health A+. i’ll never take it for granted again.

here’s my recipe:

DIY fissure-heal suppositories/salve

this recipe contains a potent combination of soothing and healing ingredients that i combined with the express intent of healing my anal fissure. the base is coconut oil, known for its antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, wound-healing properties. it also promotes re-epithelialization and collagen cross-linking within damaged tissue. infused with comfrey, a powerful healer and demulcent for damaged mucous membranes, containing the compound allantoin which is a renowned anti-inflammatory and aids in skin regrowth; marshmallow root, also soothing and healing to the mucous membranes, as well as skin and other tissues; plantain leaf, an analgesic, antibacterial, and itch-releiving herb; and calendula, which is also anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, high in flavonoids, with vulnerary properties. beeswax adds solidity to the suppositories, also providing a protective barrier to healing tissues, acting as a humectant, and offering anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of its own. shea butter is highly moisturizing, aiding in collagen production, rich in EFAs, and contains lupeol cinnamate, an anti-inflammatory compound. the addition of chlorophyll-rich wheatgrass boosts antioxidant content and stimulates the production of growth factors in damaged tissue. rosemary oil is analgesic, antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant that increases circulation, and acts as a preservative. tea tree oil is antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, and is skin and scar healing. and lastly, vitamin E, which is a moisturizer, antioxidant, and natural preservative.

supplies you will need:

•16 oz mason jar
•slow-cooker (not required, but preferred)
•small 16 oz (2 cup) stainless steel double-boiler
•small cooking pot (about 6 inches in diameter)
•small silicone spatula
•cheesecloth
•mesh strainer
glass droppers
disposable suppository molds (I searched for reusable ones but couldn’t find ones i liked.)
suppository mold holder (yes, it’s an actual thing. not required, but will make life easier.)
•small 4 oz jar

three days before you can make the suppositories you have to make a herb-infused oil. don’t use fresh herbs as the moisture will cause mold to grow in your finished product. in fact, this whole process requires working with hot and boiling water while keeping all moisture out of your mixture. it’s very important that you do so. also, as a personal preference, i always try to source organic ingredients. while being free of pesticides, herbicides, and other synthetic toxins that may be adverse to healing, studies show that organically grown plants are more nutrient-dense, antioxidant-rich, and contain higher levels of the healing compounds we want to obtain and distill into this recipe.

first, fill a mason jar with dried herbs:

•¼ cup of comfrey
•¼ cup of plantain leaf
•¼ cup of calendula
•¼ cup of marshmallow root
then add:
•1.5 cups (12 oz) of coconut oil

close the lid tightly.

place a folded kitchen towel on the bottom of your slow cooker and fill about halfway with hot water. place your jar in the water, on top of the towel, which protects the jar from direct heat. close the lid and set to low. steep for 3 days. shake up the jar once a day to keep the herbs and oil mixed. you may have to add more water to compensate for evaporation. after 3 days take the jar out and cool until no longer hot, but still warm. place your cheesecloth in a mesh strainer over a bowl and pour in your herbs and oil. a lot of oil is trapped in the herbs so make a big tea bag out of the cheese cloth and squeeze the oil out. do it over the strainer in case your cheese cloth breaks or any little bits sneak out. you want your oil to be free of debris. then just wipe out the mason jar and pour the oil back in.

if you don’t have a slow cooker you can make the herb-infused oil with a double-boiler. it also takes less time that way, but the potency of the final product may be reduced. i’ve done it both ways. just google “herb-infused oil recipes” and you will easily find the double-boiler method.

this recipe will make more oil than you need for the suppositories, but you can make other healing salves with it as well as apply it directly to dry skin, burns, abrasions, or use as massage oil, etc… it will keep for a few months in the pantry.

now that you have your herb-infused oil, you can make your suppositories. set up your suppository molds in your suppository mold holder. if you didn’t spring for the holder you will have to use something else to keep your molds upright while you fill them. i recommend making at least 30, which is about a month’s supply. the molds come in strips of 10, so set up 4 strips to give yourself a few extra.

next, fill your little pot with just enough water to submerge the bottom of the double-boiler. you don’t want to put too much water in because, when it boils, it may splash into your mixture. you also don’t want the water to boil too vigorously for the same reason. while you are waiting for your water to boil, place the double-boiler in an empty bowl for stability and add:

•¼ cup of herb-infused oil (if your kitchen is cool and your oil has re-solidified, place the jar in a hot water bath to make it liquid again.)
•1 tbsp of beeswax pastilles
•2 tbsp shea butter or cocoa butter

once you have the water at a calm, barely-simmering boil, you can place the double-boiler into the pot. your ingredients will melt together fairly quickly. stir occasionally with the silicone spatula. within 5 minutes you should have a golden, transparent liquid. remove from heat. place the small pot with the double boiler on a trivet, next to your suppository molds. even though it will take several hours to cool and solidify, keeping the double boiler in the hot water keeps your mixture from becoming viscous while you are filling the molds.

note: water sinks in oil so if any water did get into your mixture you will see what looks like a little bubble (or bubbles) sitting on the bottom. you can go in with a glass dropper and suck them out.

now add the remaining ingredients:

•1 tsp of powdered freeze-dried wheatgrass juice (mix with 1 tbsp of herb-infused oil before adding to the mixture. this prevents lumps. the wheatgrass does not emulsify into the oil/wax mixture. it will want to sink to the bottom so you have to stir occasionally to keep the it evenly distributed.)
•20 drops vitamin E oil
•15 drops rosemary oil
•7 drops tea tree oil

stir gently to combine.

using a glass dropper, fill your molds one by one. when all the molds are filled pour the rest of the mixture into your glass jar, which does not need to be refrigerated. when the suppositories have solidified, place them in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator or freezer.

so, that’s it. i hope this is helpful to some. i’ll be curious to know if anyone ever tries it. i will say, it’s empowering to take control of your own healing. you should also not hesitate to change this recipe in any way that suits you. different strokes and all. good luck.
occam

Topics: 1

Re: DIY Herbal Coconut Oil Suppositories

Postby positivesun » 20 Feb 2017, 01:38

Thank you for sharing!

Had you tried any other treatments or oils, suppositories, ect. up until the point you made this concoction?

Please let me know!
positivesun
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby healthybutt » 13 Mar 2017, 02:04

I am in a similar boat as you occam. I am going to purchase some of the herbs and supplies you mentioned. I have calendula oil and coconut oil handy, and will use those until I procure more of the ingredients.

I also have this balm called Sitting Pretty that has some good ingredients as far as reducing inflammation goes. It's not supposed to be used on wounds, although it has a lot of good stuff on it. I used it every day once my fissure actually healed, and then as time passed stopped using it. Yarrow however I know first hand really does well to stop bleeding (have used on minor cuts elsewhere).

I am heartened by your story. I started seeing a naturopath because of this fissure that would come every 4-6 weeks for 8 months. I also felt like there was an underlying issue regarding my tissues down there not healing. Thanks for the recipe.
healthybutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Happykermit » 14 Apr 2017, 08:03

Hi all, posted this Q to another post, but since you are on the topic of coconut oil, what happens when u apply it directly on a visible fissure? does it sting? and can it facilitate healing? are we supposed to keep the wound moist? thanks!
Happykermit
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby healthybutt » 25 Apr 2017, 02:35

Happykermit, did someone respond to your question? Coconut oil has never stung me...neither has calendula oil, olive oil, or anything in the bottoms up balm i used..there are some oils you should not apply to open wounds (i think arnica is one of them) -- but the labels for use should always say. anyway i hope you found your answer!
healthybutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Happykermit » 26 Apr 2017, 00:41

Thank you~ I just had LIS, I think I'll stick to ingesting a spoonful of VCO for now.
Happykermit
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Remedy_Seeker » 18 Aug 2020, 09:32

Should the 12 oz coconut oil be melted or solid before putting it in mason jar with herbs?
Remedy_Seeker

Postby rexcopinghaus » 27 Apr 2021, 03:41

Using this recipe now and can recommend.
Thanks OP for posting.
rexcopinghaus