Working with AF pain?

How do you guys cope at work?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Working with AF pain?

Postby Buttercup » 25 Apr 2017, 04:27

How do you all cope at work? I only work part time and I'm struggling alot with the pain. I feel like giving my job up but can't afford it. How do you all cope?
Buttercup
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Working with AF pain?

Postby Mypoorbutt » 25 Apr 2017, 04:59

To be honest when the spasms were at their worst I didn't cope well at all I had nearly 6 weeks off sick and then after my LIS I occasionally had to go into the staff room for a cry.
Gabapentin does help with the spasms though so maybe ask your doc about that.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Bum_UK » 25 Apr 2017, 05:40

I'm off work with stress at the moment. I wouldn't have been able to work when the pain was at its worst.
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby Buttercup » 25 Apr 2017, 09:03

Mypoorbutt I totally get the going in the staff room to cry. Its good you had 6 weeks off to recover as much as you could. I wouldnt have a clue what to say when calling in sick, i dont want anyone at work to know really. I'll ask my doctor about Gabapentin as I have another appointment to discuss alternative ointments. Bum_UK sorry to hear your off with stress, I hope your taking it easy while your off, easier said than done I know. Take care.
Buttercup
Fibre Addict

Postby Bum_UK » 25 Apr 2017, 10:14

Are you on diltiazem cream already? I don't know which country you're in. They're hesitant to prescribe it in the UK (it's rather expensive) unless you have a chronic fissure. I was lucky enough to get it prescribed immediately this time as I was in agonising pain. The cream made things significantly better within a week. I was still rather uncomfortable but only for a few hours.

I'm back to see the GP on Friday. I think she will sign me off for at least a few more weeks. The problem is that I'll only get half my salary soon after having been on full pay for six weeks.
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Buttercup » 25 Apr 2017, 10:26

I was prescribed rectogestic on Friday after being diagnosed 2 and a half weeks before hand. I used it Friday but then read that you shouldn't take if you suffer with migraine and low iron. So iv asked for an alternative but iv been told the alternative (there's only one they say!) Will give same sort of side effects so I have to wait till 1 week from Friday to have an appointment to discuss options with doctors. Imy sure I have a cronic fissure as iv had it way over 4 months and I have the skin tag on outside that iv read is sign of cronic fissure. I just want to get on with treatment! Is there any help you can get at all with money Bum_UK? Maybe if you look online you'd be in tilted to some help? If you need the time off though you need it off, it's hard isn't to know what's for the best! I'm in the UK also.
Buttercup
Fibre Addict

Postby Bum_UK » 25 Apr 2017, 10:39

Ask your GP for diltiazem cream. The GP I saw today asked if I wanted a rectogestic (GTN) prescription today but I declined as diltiazem works for me. It's a blood pressure medicine apparently and relaxes the area in a similar way to GTN ointments but without the headaches. I have not had any side effects from diltiazem so far and I've been on it for three weeks. It does burn like crazy if I put it on within an hour or two after a BM but it's fine if I put it on before. It seems to make BMs less painful too if I apply it an hour or so before the first BM of the day.
Good luck at the doctors! Ask specifically for diltiazem cream. They are extremely reluctant to pr scribe it as aforementioned as it's very expensive. Keep in mind that pharmacies don't generally have it in stock and it takes a few days to arrive.

I'm fortunately married to someone with a proper income but using my Bupa insurance for therapy and to see a CRS next week isn't cheap. The excess is £250 which isn't too bad as everything is free once I have paid the initial £250 but it's noticeable when you lose half your income. My options regarding the stress was to either resign from my job as the stress is work induced or be signed off sick. I've fortunately had a very good GP dealing with that but I went private as the GPs at the NHS surgery I'm registered with are hit and miss. The one I saw today was excellent and I think he is new. I do enjoy my little rants about the NHS. ;)
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Buttercup » 25 Apr 2017, 13:08

thank you for your reply, I just went to my local walk in centre as getting no where with my gp. I asked for diltiazime and she refused and said they don't have it as a cream. basicly didn't know what to do so said I should go to a and e which I will not do, I think that would be wasting Thier time when I simply just need a prescription!!!! I could rant about the nhs all day on this topic, I feel totally failed. I'm miserable from the pain and stain on my marriage. I wonder if I could buy it online somwhere? That's good you have gone private, I think any amount of money is worth feeling well. Its good you have a on off 250 to pay but as you say it's probably more noticeable now you'll be loosening a bit of income. It's unbelieveable how this can affect lifes. Once I finely get my prescription I'm hoping I can be a little more positive again! Sorry to have been so negative. I hope you can diside what's best for you with your job, it's tough to make the right choice, yiur health is important.
Buttercup
Fibre Addict

Postby Buttercup » 25 Apr 2017, 13:10

Sorry I'm terribly dyslexic, I hope you can read my wringing !
Buttercup
Fibre Addict

Postby Bum_UK » 25 Apr 2017, 13:58

No need to apologise for the dyslexia! You make perfect sense!

Print this or save screen shots off your phone or tablet and bring to your GP or walk in centre or if necessary A&E: https://www.nice.org.uk/advice/esuom3/c ... 2017429593
It's from NICE and one would hope that would be evidence enough for them to admit that it exists! My tub only says diltiazem 2%. Here's a copy and paste of why I think they're reluctant to prescribe it: The NHS price for 2% diltiazem cream is £73.83 per 30 g tube and the NHS price for 2% diltiazem ointment is £163.07 per 30 g tube. The licensed topical glyceryl trinitrate product, Rectogesic 4 mg/g rectal ointment, costs £34.80 per 30 g tube (costs exclude VAT and are taken from the Drug Tariff, February 2013).

There's a huge price difference between the diltiazem and the rectogesic. Yes, the NHS needs to save money but on the other hand you can't use rectogesic and they should give you diltiazem. Be firm with them, feel free to say that you know of someone else in the U.K. Who had it prescribed on the NHS and that will hopefully help.

Does your local A&E have a walk in centre adjacent to it? My local one has and I went there on Sunday. I registered at A&E and saw a triage nurse, they then sent me to the walk in centre waiting room. I sadly have noticed that I have an 'easier' time getting what I need/want now that I have my PhD and use Dr as my title. Everyone should have the same experience regardless of stuff like that.

I don't know where you live but search for private GP and the city you live in to see what comes up. A private GP will prescribe the diltiazem for you but you'll have to fork out whatever the private GP charges (mine charges £65 for a 20 minute appointment but some charge more and charge to write a prescription, there should be info on the websites) plus the full price for the prescription. Then again, if you can afford it do it if you still have no luck after trying the above.
Are you still in the spasm horrid pain for hours stage?

Fissure pain isn't easy on the marriage no matter how understanding your spouse is. I spend most of my time talking about fissures hemmies and I'm aware that those are not the most exciting topics for people who don't suffer from them. That's why this board is brilliant! We're all kindered spirits.

Good luck and let me know how you get on!
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist