Tightness 24 hours after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Postby chillblue » 29 Apr 2017, 10:23

Hi Boardies,

I am sure this is normal, but I wanted to make sure. I had LIS yesterday about 7am, so its only been a little over 24 hours. Today The area is burning on the right side where the stitches are, and it seems to be very tight. Maybe this is because it is swollen on the inside? I hope so, because i was under the impression this surgery is meant to loosen things up. I felt like i had to go to the bathroom this morning but nothing would come out. I didn't push because i felt it should come out on its own, and I don't want to break the stitches. Is it normal to be tight like this? Yesterday after surgery it was easier to pass gas, now its not as easy, but I don't have to push as much as i did before surgery. Can anyone who has this surgery provide some insight? I might just be worrying too much.
chillblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: Tightness 24 hours after LIS

Postby Diaboliq » 29 Apr 2017, 13:26

Yep, that feeling that you have to go but you don't is the pressure I was talking about. It's just died down now at day 9 or 10 for me. What I did was sat down, went until it stopped coming out, then just got up and took a shower, even though I felt like I still had to go. The first couple of days I tried to push a little and was worried I hurt something, so I just stopped pushing and hoped it would go away, and it finally has. Just definitely don't push. Once the pressure goes away, you won't feel like you have to go anymore.
Diaboliq
Fibre Addict

Postby GilmoreGirl » 29 Apr 2017, 15:01

Agreed. I felt just like this. In fact I got quite constipated partly because of the tightness (but I also have pelvic floor problems so that didn't help). If you're not going, my advice would be to keep increasing the stool softners/laxatives until you do. It will be urgent - and your butt will have no choice! This will be easier on the area than straining or pushing - It may hurt but that's normal. If you don't go for a few days, call your surgeons office rather than wait!

But the tightness is SO so ok. Trust me I was asking the exact same thing as you 3 weeks ago and thought for sure the surgery didn't work! Just hang in there, and don't be afraid to take lots of stool softner. When I was at your stage, I found i couldn't go unless it was urgent and the area was forced to relax and open - maybe you can increase your softners/laxatives until you get to that point!

I hope that makes sense!!! I know this is a hard stage but it will be over before you know it!
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby AJStyles » 29 Apr 2017, 15:50

Hi gilmore girl when was ur surgery? mine was 3 weeks ago and i still have a bit of a feeling that i still have to take a shit after i took one. My stools are very soft since i am drinking lots of water and eating more healthy. But that feeling is still there, and sometimes i have pain when i am raising my leg or something. Doctor checked few days ago and said it looks good, but could still take few weeks to heal.
AJStyles
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby GilmoreGirl » 29 Apr 2017, 15:57

Mine was April 4th. The stool softners can sometimes make bms feel incomplete. If I'm really feeling uncomfortable I gently use an enema bulb with warm water and that normally gets the rest out without any straining.

You could be feeling like you still need to go because of some swelling - I felt like that when my fissure was really inflamed.

It's hard for me to say about the other pain you have when moving - I do have pain when sitting/moving for too long but I think it is all from the abscess I have now. I also didn't have too much healing left for my fissure - just spasms that didn't stop until I had the surgery.
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby AJStyles » 29 Apr 2017, 16:03

And how are you feeling now gg?
AJStyles
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby chillblue » 29 Apr 2017, 16:11

I FINALLY had my first bowel movement a few hours ago. I have been taking a fiber supplement and stool softener with every meal since Thursday morning, and yesterday morning (Friday April 28th) was my surgery. To my surprise the stool was soft. I have been taking Percocet for the pain as well and that tends to constipate things lol. But more importantly there was NO BLOOD, and hardly ANY PAIN!!!!! It hurt when it was coming out, but I expected lots of pain and blood. Soon as I was done I hopped in the tub and sat for 20 min. Gilmore Girl you are a genius!!!!! An enema bulb sound like a great idea to get out what might be left over inside!!!! Im going to go buy one later on.
chillblue
Salt Bather

Postby AJStyles » 29 Apr 2017, 16:13

Hey Chillblue dont be scared now but you will have pain in a few days, its the pain from Surgery. I had the exact same thing, first bm, no pain at all, i thought wtf? few days after i had pain constantly but not fissure pain, more like a surgery pain. So it hurts to walk etc, but the pain will get much better in week 2 - 3. So dont be scared when you are in pain in a few days, keep your bm's soft and take sitz baths.
AJStyles
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby chillblue » 29 Apr 2017, 16:22

Thanks for the heads up AJStyles. Its already painful to walk now so ive been in the bed most of the day, other than going to grab a bite to eat. OMG and Driving!!!!!! a small bump was torture on my butt!!!!! i cringed at the sight of a pothole!!! lol This Percocet makes me slightly nauseous, so i tend to lay down after taking it. But it does make my butt feel a whole lot better lol. I am drinking a lot of water, and taking stool softener with the fiber to make sure i don't get constipated.
chillblue
Salt Bather

Postby AJStyles » 29 Apr 2017, 16:26

Yea i wouldnt drive in your case for a few weeks. Your ass should rest now so it can heal better.
AJStyles
Proctosphincteranalogist