op tomorrow

LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: op tomorrow

Postby missy moo » 22 May 2017, 04:10

Also mypoorbutt what happens to the scar tissue of the fissure? Do you need to do anything do it like have it cut out or burnt closed?
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Mypoorbutt » 22 May 2017, 04:51

Hehehe I know what you mean Mojo I used to be like that with ice cream....share a tub of Ben and jerrys...not likely lol. So I have had to accept no more ice cream for me ever again. Although I should never have eaten it in the first place and probably wouldn't have got the fissure.
MM 90% of people will be able to go back to eating what they want within a few weeks whilst making sure to add good stuff too. It's only people like me with a medical condition and an intolerance to certain foods that have to stay away from things for good. I probably could eat and ice cream but I would then go 30 times so why would I do that to my butt now. You will be fine I'm sure
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby missy moo » 22 May 2017, 05:08

Thanks sorry for all the questions but im just so scared uts reslly tough now im thinking if I had the lis what's the best thing is it to burn the fissure closed or remove the scar tissue? I've read on here that having the scar tissue removed it will only come back with more scar tissue but surely after years of retearing the scar tissue wouldn't come back that back if removed? If the fissure is left will that scar tissue of the old fissure be a problem later on? Re pain or retear?
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby mojo » 22 May 2017, 06:11

Missy to be plain. You're stressing over the what ifs of an op that will vastly improve your life. I'm day 5 now post op and I finally managed to run an important errand that had been waiting for a month due to my spasms laying me up til late afternoon minimum.

BM today fine as I was good yesterday after my choccy mistake and just a few twinges here n there but no big deal and BLISS compared to pre op.

Don't read much more online and book an appointment to see a colon rectal surgeon asap.

Mypoor re an earlier post of yours surely if I have a spasm ever again it'll mean the op has failed as the purpose is to relax the sphincter hence no more spasms. If I ever felt another spasm it may push me over the edge. If it's succeeded what's the worst case scenario? Hard stool retears cauterised fissure causing more spasms? Can a cauterised fissure retear? (She recoils in horror). X
mojo
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Mypoorbutt » 22 May 2017, 06:56

Mojo this is how my lovely CRS explained it to me
I can and will still have spasms and my fissure is healed I have scar tissue from the fissure and from old hems and other less deep fissures that have healed over the course of years...ones I never noticed.
Spasms are not just caused by fissures they are caused by pain which then sets of spasms. If I have a normal BM I'm fine if I have acidic multiple BMs then I have spasms sometimes pretty bad.
When they do LIS they never cut the whole of the sphincter as that would cause serious levels of incontinence. They leave at least 90% of the sphincter intact. So the nerves and the muscles can still contract hence spasms can still happen. Also over time the sphincter will rejoin and repair itself that's why some people have a second LIS years after their first.
Also you can get a fissure even after LIS as it's the skin can still rip just the sphincter can't spasms as much due to the cut so the fissure will heal quicker and with a lot less pain.
Hope that helps a bit Hun x
Mypoorbutt

Postby mojo » 22 May 2017, 07:06

OH wow ok. Omg. Just hope I never feel another sodding spasm in my life. I've been utterly spasm free since the op not even any phantom ones caused by my over active imagination and paranoia My arse just feels so relaxed even tho swollen to heck. Is that all normal?

Poor you still having the satanic spasms...I really feel for you. And thanx for being so supportive on here - it's important.
mojo
Salt Bather

Postby Mypoorbutt » 22 May 2017, 07:43

It's completely normal to not have a single spasms. That is what happens in most cases.
Don't forget I have other issues and two CRS's refused my LIS because they thought I would be incontinent and that the spasms would continue. My CRS was very honest with me and I'm very happy with the result no incontinence and spasms only after multiple BMs.
Thanx Hun that's kind it helps me to be able to offer support to others x
Mypoorbutt

Postby missy moo » 22 May 2017, 09:53

Mojo I agree I'm over thinking everything an reading far to much from now on I'll stick to success story's only i will book a crs appointment but the cost just to have an appointment is $250-$300 nzd an so i have to make sure im going to go with who ever i choose other wise ill be paying that amount to all the crs i speak to i wish money wasnt an issue. Mypoorbutt from what your crs has said or most out comes on here is it best to leave the scare tissue alone?
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Mypoorbutt » 22 May 2017, 10:13

Hi MM no it's always best to clean up the active fissure as scar tissue forms a ragged edge which doesn't heal as easy as a straight surgical edge I had my fissure tidied during my Botox to help healing.
Mypoorbutt

Postby mojo » 22 May 2017, 11:50

Missy I didn't mean to be harsh and I'm seriously shocked that you have to pay in NZ. Isn't there a public health system? It's all free here in Italy as I imagine it is in UK. Couldn't you go through your family doctor and get a referral?
mojo
Salt Bather