How to apply ointment?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How to apply ointment?

Postby Wits End » 07 Jun 2017, 06:07

I was prescribed nifedipine on may 9 and ive had no improvement. Instructions say 'apply into anus 2x per day'. So how exactly.. how far up, etc. Dr just says vaguely "as much as you can". I dont know if im not going far enough, but also dont know if im irritating the area because im trying too hard. I can probably get to the first knuckle on index finger. Im so disheartened because the dr said there was a high success rate with this rx...so what is wrong with me? Ready to give up
Wits End
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: How to apply ointment?

Postby Mypoorbutt » 07 Jun 2017, 07:21

My CRS said that up to the first knuckle is more than adequate. In the beginning I could barely get a tiny bit of a qtip in there but it gets easier
If you can't or you think it's hurting then just apply on the outside for now
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Kacenka » 07 Jun 2017, 18:50

When my troubles started last year in September I went to a doctor who examined me while I was having a spasm. I cried and begged him to stop. He then told me to apply the ointment with a gauze finger inside my butt. I couldn't do it of course but thought something was wrong with me. Now I know he was an a$$ for examining me while having a spasm and telling me to apply the (to me useless) ointment with a gauze. It was the dumbest advice! With that said, take your doc's advice only half seriously and go with what feels right. Try a q tip. I tried to force it in with my finger and scratched myself some more which the doc just couldn't understand. I also didn't follow his advice to eat tons of added fiber and use mineral oil. Miralax and steamed veggies is what helped me the most to survive my morning trip to the bathroom. Good luck!
Kacenka
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Wits End » 07 Jun 2017, 19:19

Thanks, Kacenka. I agree about the fiber, i was told by my dr to use benefiber in addition to my regular dietary fiber, but Im considering just relaxing the fiber fiber fiber regimen a bit. Sometimes we're just tryjng to do everything perfectly right and overcompensate
Wits End
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7