op tomorrow

LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: op tomorrow

Postby Bum_UK » 11 Jun 2017, 03:07

The pain was 10/10 at its worst when the fissure first re-tore. I had a fairly painful BM (it was formed, I've realised formed isn't good at this stage of the healing process) this morning and my discomfort at the moment is perhaps a 3/10. I certainly feel it but I sit down and the moment but it's not extremely painful or anything. I've not taken any painkillers today.
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby missy moo » 11 Jun 2017, 03:46

After my fissure retears i have a cut pain for hours half a day or more. Have you had 10/10 pain since the op or was that before the op you mean?
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Bum_UK » 11 Jun 2017, 04:04

10/10 was before the surgery. It's been 6/10 at worst after the surgery. It's more like a dull pain/discomfort after the surgery.

I have the impression that the healing from the surgery is similar to healing after the fissure. It slowly gets better although the BMs today (I've had three so far...) have been a bit more painful as the initial one was formed. It's obviously very important to keep very soft, at least for me as I'm sure that differs between different people.
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby missy moo » 11 Jun 2017, 04:51

Maybe you just have to keep them super soft for an amount of time just like with the fissure till it's healed all the way through did your fissure come an go sorry I can't remember? Could you not get it to heal for more then so long?
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Bum_UK » 11 Jun 2017, 05:41

I had fissures that healed on their own in 2007, 2010 and 2014. This one was 99% healed and the minimal fissurectomy was a side effect of the sentinel pile removal. It's obviously agitated things again as I've had some spasms since my last message. They're not nearly as bad as when the fissure came back in late March but it's nevertheless annoying.

I've managed to keep things at bay with stool softener since 2010 and then by my own fault (I swapped from Movicol to lactulose) got the fissure back and worse than ever. It took six weeks of diltiazem for me to be painfree after that.

I hope to feel a lot better within a week and a half of today. Patience is the key here. It evidently takes a while for the Botox to fully kick in as well. My current advice is: if you don't have any pain don't do it but if you have pain do it. I'm still very pleased that the skin tag has been removed. The area feels bruised and battered too but that's not surprising given the surgery.
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby missy moo » 11 Jun 2017, 12:18

My fissure retears once a month or maybe sometimes every second month I wish it would just heal on its own I don't have full on spasms but at worst it's major glass passes even when soft then sore for 6 hours after bm then by evening I can sit and I'm pain free my fissure is at the front so has a good blood supply but i too have a skin tag boy do I hate that thing on a bad day it's the worst pain swells up to a finger nail size an is red angry sore to touch an feels like major pressure it acts like a bad hemroid. I'm sick of being scared of food an bms an the glass an feeling like i have a wound down there i can't sit for 50% of the day. I wish I could just get lis but here in nz it's last resort an it cost up to the same price as a new car or I can go through the public health service for free and the surgeon may not of done many of any of the fissure ops. I have a lump at each end of the fissure what is the internal lump do you think? It's not painful I thought maybe just a hemroid but it's on the internal end of the fissure through that was odd
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby missy moo » 11 Jun 2017, 20:00

Mojo how are you doing?
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Bum_UK » 12 Jun 2017, 03:22

Doesn't the public health system in NZ have colorectal surgeons? I don't know anything about the health care system in New Zealand, are the private and public health care systems completely separate?

Virtually all consultants doing private work in the UK work for the NHS and only do a bit of private work as well. However, the anaesthetist for my surgery only works privately but the CRS's main job is for the NHS.
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby mojo » 12 Jun 2017, 06:53

I'm doing ok missy tho bit more painful in fissure area still after that internal a week ago.

Still reborn after op tho and swelling going down too.
mojo
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby missy moo » 12 Jun 2017, 23:12

That's great mojo you'll get there I'm still back in the fissure world of hell. Bum_UK I'm really looking into every thing now last time I had an appointment through public they didn't help at all so I gave up but i spoke to someone yesterday who believes I can heal in 6 weeks using diltiazem ointment an having soft stools every time if not she'll do botox she deals with about 5-6 fissures a year she said most heal with cream and almost all won't need more then botox if the creams don't work she then said I can go through public to get the best of the best to do the surgery if all else fails which she highly dealts she fully believes she can fix me if not with full on cream use then botox once or twice she hardly ever sends someone for surgery of any kind her confidence really gave me hope I got the ointment today which is great im sick of using rectogisic it wears my skin down and gives me head aches if this cream gives me side affects I'll switch to nifedipine my chemist an doctors in my town have never heard of either cream in fact they don't even come in a cream they have to be made up. I'm giving it one last try its a new cream to me so fingers crossed it works if not I'm off to get botox she didn't say anything about scar tissue or the skin tag but since I healed for 5 months while I was pregnant maybe I can heal!!
missy moo
King Fissure