LIS surgery on 6/30/17

Post op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS surgery on 6/30/17

Postby Overit35 » 02 Jul 2017, 10:10

Hi, I am a 35 year old female who got a fissure during my 4th month of pregnancy. I was in debilitating pain for several hours a day and had to take over a month off work then go back only part time until I had the baby. I spent days on end crying, pacing and rocking from the pain. Sometimes I thought I would lose the baby because of the amount of pain my body was in. I went to a colerectol surgeon who wanted to give me Botox while pregnant but I did not want to risk harm to the baby so I declined. I tried every natural remedy under the sun with no success. Special diets, coconut oil, aloe vera, wheat germ oil, olive oil, apple cider vinegar with no positive results. I gave in and started using nifedipine ointment twice a day while pregnant. Overtime, it seemed liked it started to help but as my due date approached I had so much anxiety about having a natural birth due to the anal fissure. Long story short, I had a c section for reasons other than the fissure. The entire labor experience was NOTHING compared to the pain I had been having from th fissure. My son was born healthy on 3/27/17 and the first few weeks after he was born my fissure pain was minimal and I thought was healing. It was too good to be true because it came back with a vengeance so bad that I had to have someone with me at all times because I could not hold my baby. It was miserable. I went to see my CRS and he scheduled Botox 5/18. They used anesthesia and I was discharged from the hospital an hour after the procedure. I felt really good but had an hour and 20 min ride home and started to feel it towards the end. They had given me a Percocet for the ride home but was advised to use over the counter Meds to manage pain at home so I would not get constipated. After being home for about an hour I started having such an intense throbbing that I started to cry. It was a different kind of pain than the fissure and Tylenol was not touching it. I had a glass of wine at the suggestion of my mother and was able to fall asleep. I was terrified for the first BM but surprisingly was not so bad. The next day the throbbing pain was gone. I was still on maternity leave so I didn't have to worry about work. I had some good days and some bad days but after 5 weeks I realized that it was not healed enough for me to go back to my normal activities so At the follow up my CRS suggested LIS surgery. I went to the hospital 6/30/17 and was put under. I was able to have a fast track recovery and was only there for about 35 mins after the procedure. My surgery was on Friday and I told my CRS I am supposed to return to work Thursday from maternity leave and he said that I should be able to return then. I was given one Percocet for the ride home and told to alternate Tylenol and ibuprofen and to take 2 sits bathser day. I kept waiting for the pain to come on Friday but felt pretty good all day. On Saturday morning I woke up feeling not so good. I had a sore and stinging sensation. I started to have the urge to have a BM and was panicking. I'm not going to lie, the first BM was ROUGH. I used the shower nozzle to clean and sat in the tub. I took 800 mg of ibuprofen and was able to lay down which is weird b/c with my fissure I could not lie down after a BM for hours. As long as I'm laying down the pain is minimal but when I get up and walk there is an intense burning. It is now Sunday and pain level is the same. As long as I'm laying I feel comfortable but have not had my second BM yet and not looking forward to it. I'm praying that this worked because this has been the hardest 8 months of my life and all I want is to enjoy my baby and be able to take care of him without the pain. I'm also praying for a miracle that I will be able to return to work on Thursday but right now that's hard to imagine because I have an hour commute each way. Thanks for listening and good luck to all!
Overit35
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: LIS surgery on 6/30/17

Postby Mypoorbutt » 02 Jul 2017, 11:34

Hi a fissure is the worst pain I have experienced, like you say way worse than childbirth.
I too had Botox and then LIS some people are ready to go back to work after a week most prefer two weeks off. From personal experience I couldn't have gone back that first week and to be honest I could have done with 3 weeks off but everyone is different and lots of people feel great after the first week so fingers crossed that will be you.
How on earth you have coped with a new baby whilst dealing with a fissure is beyond my comprehension. You must be very strong and this will help you deal with healing.
Good luck I'm sure everything will go smoothly
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Laurieb » 02 Jul 2017, 12:31

I'm also a mother of 2 young children and found that the last months were so hard, often I couldn't take care of them as much as I wanted to (fortunately I have support around me)

I wish you a speedy recovery. I had my LIS done on 6/30 also. Since 24 hours I don't have any pain, but haven't had my first bm also.

Keep us posted!
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Overit35 » 03 Jul 2017, 06:18

Good Morning,
I had my second BM yesterday and I'm sad to say it hurt worse than the first one. Luckily, it was soft and came out smoothly but felt like fire coming out. I had very intense throbbing, soreness and burning/stinging for about 3.5 hours after. By evening I was feeling about 80% better but woke up a couple of times in the middle of the night with a stinging sensation and same feeling this morning. It's a bearable feeling but just uncomfortable. My husband reminded me that there were days that I was in agony for up to 9 hours when my AF was at its peak. I guess I'm getting weak in my old age or just sick and tired of the pain. I'm still taking my 2 baths/day and alternating tylenol and ibuprofen but I did take 800mg again after BM b/c 500mg doesn't touch the pain. Laurieb, did you have your first BM and if so how did it go?
Overit35
Fibre Addict

Postby Laurieb » 03 Jul 2017, 07:59

Had my first bm this morning. My fissure was never painful while I was on the toilet, but immediately after. So when I went this morning, I felt the pain at about 70%. I needed the help of my husband to go in the tub. But once in my bath the pain went away immediately (pre-LIS, even in my bath I could feel the throbbing). When I got out after 10-15 mins, I had no usual spams. Told my husband I think my surgery worked.

I'm currently in bed because even if I don't feel any spasms, it still sensitive. Also, yesterday evening I think I overdid the fiber supplement and mineral oil, so being lay down avoid the pressure on my digestive track. I don't want to go a second time today.

I read a lot of stories like yours where after a few days the BM pain decreases greatly. I also felt something similar to the sensation you had during the night. Could it be the swelling that goes away?
Also, overall, how do you compare the current pain from the one you had preop? And do you feel some itching too?

Sending hou healing vibes today.
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Postby Overit35 » 03 Jul 2017, 15:09

I'm thinking the pain is from the surgery: soreness, swelling etc. When I had the surgery I was not having my worst fissure pain so I think the pain now is kind of a shock to my body. When I was having my worst pain Nov-Jan it was so bad I would be crying most of the day and although uncomfortable as it is, I have not cried from pain after surgery. Had my 3rd BM this afternoon and it didn't hurt quite as bad as yesterday but still had throbbing pain for approx 2 hours after. No itching so far! Hope your feeling better day by day as well!
Overit35
Fibre Addict

Postby Overit35 » 04 Jul 2017, 14:10

I had my fourth BM today and it was less painful again coming out than yesterday but after the Throbbing was so intense I started to cry. Of course, the more I cried the more it hurt because I was tense. I had a pity party for myself and cried for 3 hours because I have a sinking feeling the surgery did not work for me and I'm unable to take care of my baby. I don't know if it's normal for me to be in so much pain. I hope I did not make a mistake by having the surgery but my quality of life was so poor before I felt I had no other options. There's no way I can return to work on Thurs feeling like this. Especially because when I have the urge to go to the bathroom I cannot hold it. I have to rush to the bathroom or it feels like it's coming out Did anyone else experience this?
Overit35
Fibre Addict

Postby Laurieb » 04 Jul 2017, 15:11

Big hugs. If it can make you feel better, I cried too this morning. The pain level was a bit higher compared to yesterday, and I don't know if the ampracet I took made me more emotional, but my husband is going to work tomorrow for 3 nights/4 days, and I told him I didn't wanted him to go to work. My mother will take care of the kids, but still.

I have my worries too, I'm thinking how will I be able to wean myself of all the laxatives/fiber supplement I currently take. How long this regimen is going to last. Will I be always stressed about what I eat. I've decided to set small goals in the afternoon. Yesterday I've been able to make popsicles, today, cookies and I'm going for a short walk outside. I need my energy back.

When is your postop appointment? I read several LIS stories in the last days and generally people are in their bed for the 1st week. It's only by the second week that small improvements are noticable.
Please don't stress about your work. I wouldn't be able to go in 2 days either.
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Postby Overit35 » 04 Jul 2017, 20:15

Hope you were able to go for your walk today. I wanted to take my baby for a walk because it was beautiful outside but my husband didn't think it was a good idea because baby has a Drs appt tomorrow morning that is 35 mins away and he wants me to feel well enough to ride in the car. My post op appt is 8/15. When is yours? I'm calling work tomorrow to let them know I will not be returning on Thursday. Thankfully my job allows up to 1 year off for maternity leave so I don't have to worry about losing my job. Although I need the money I've decided to take as much time as it takes for this to heal because I never want to go through this problem again. Hope tomorrow is a better day for all! Prayers!
Overit35
Fibre Addict

Postby Overit35 » 04 Jul 2017, 20:19

I forgot to mention I have the same worries about fiber/colace/ laxatives etc. I've been taking 3 colace a day for 9 months and have been drinking milk of magnesia every other day for 2 months. Since the surgery I have been drinking miralax before bed. Then the ibuprofen 800mg on top of the rest cannot be good for the stomach or digestive track!
Overit35
Fibre Addict