LIS 8/15/2017 please help scared

Surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS 8/15/2017 please help scared

Postby Painwontstop » 15 Aug 2017, 05:28

elp going into the hospital today at 11 am for LIS and scared to death. I am afraid that the pain will be worse than now. I have lidocaine gel and a compounded formula to use but neither helped. That pain is so excruciating throughout the day and forget going to the bathroom I break out in a allover sweat and blackout. I have to be helped back to the couch and it's been nonstop for 2 mths. If the pain is worse I don't know what I will do. I also have hard internal hemorrhoids that come out with every BM and I have to push them back in which on its own is painful but the fissure is unreal. Please tell me what to expect.
Painwontstop

Topics: 1

Re: LIS 8/15/2017 please help scared

Postby chachacha » 15 Aug 2017, 08:26

I had prolapsing hemmies before the procedure (had had to push them back in after every movement for about 5 years), but they no longer protruded after my LIS. They prolapse again now, but that took about a year and a half to fully become what they'd been before. One HUGE mistake I made though, was thinking that the surgeon had forgotten to push them back in after he'd been in there working, and tried to push them back in after my LIS. It turned out that the tissue I was trying to push back in was NOT the prolapsed hemmies, but was new swelling caused by the surgery. I ended up in extreme pain for about 12 hours, and that was about 12 hours after I got home, and fully believe that the pain was self-inflicted. Other than that 12 hour, really painful stretch of time, the pain wasn't nearly as bad as the fissure pain, and gradually decreased over the first week. After that, the pain was minimal, and only when sitting on a hard surface, for another two weeks. All the best today and I hope that you recover quickly.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Re: LIS 8/15/2017 please help scared

Postby Mypoorbutt » 15 Aug 2017, 09:58

Really good luck for today I'm sure that you will wake up in much less pain than you are in now.
LIS works it really does and it works very well and quickly for people with no underlying issues.
Like CCC said there will be some swelling there after the op but it does go down fairly quickly.
Some people are great a few days after. But I would say try n rest for at least a full week as surgeons like to down play the op and say you will be back to normal in 2 days....can tell they have never had it...that's not true and can be frustrating if you expect to be running around and pooping pain free the next day. It does and can happen but not always.
Again really good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20