34 months...LIS, that's all folks

My LIS journey and diary...

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

34 months...LIS, that's all folks

Postby Canadabum » 06 Sep 2017, 16:57

So here I am starting my third and hopefully last message feed…the first was “6 months…what to do”, the second “11 months…and counting”. Here I am now – “34 months…LIS, that’s all folks”.
Had anyone told me that I would be dealing with this stuff close to 3 years I would not have believed them…but here I am. The good is that the last 12-18 months have not been so bad – in fact, I would characterize it as some discomfort, annoyance, setbacks and some periods of moderate pain and a bit of blood. The bad is the length of time it has all been going on..and the ugly, well the first 6-12 months were pretty darn ugly for me.
So tomorrow I am getting LIS and a removal of a large (so I am told) papilla that grew as a result of the fissure. Why am I doing this:
My CRS said I am a great candidate and will do well long term with the results – apparently I have a tight sphincter that could use some loosening and my papilla will always be in the way.

2. I do not want to think/worry for the rest of my life – what will happen if I have a hard stool, when will the ugly fissure reappear.
3. I want to get off miralax – I take a quarter dose now and have been taking it pretty constantly for over 2 years. I don’t want to rely on that for the rest of my life if I can avoid it.

How am I feeling – right now, quite positive. I am psyched to be dealing with this and hopefully able to put it behind me after I recover. I definitely have had nerves leading up and will likely have a few more before the procedure…but all in all I am feeling very good about this decision.

What sort of medical prep do I have:
Liquid diet today and until surgery tomorrow. Today I have to do an enema..and one tomorrow morning…then get my butt to the hospital so the experts can have at it.

What have I done to get ready…
I made myself a lot of soup with veggies for after the surgery – need to replenish my potassium, sodium etc afterwards.

2. I stocked up on stuff like apple sauce, apple juice
3. Spoke with a dietician who highly recommended taking magnesium forever – helps relax smooth muscles like the sphincter
4. Same dietician recommended a pro-biotic after surgery for a couple weeks – to restore the good bacteria in my colon that I will lose from the enemas.
5. I picked up a bunch of anti-inflammatory stuff – fish oil supplements, curcumin (take only after surgery, has a blood thinning agent in it) and some raw organic apple cider vinegar.
Before I sign off I want to THANK YOU and everyone in this community for being so amazing, supportive, helpful and generally wonderful. If you have any thoughts, feedback or ideas along the way please do not hesitate to share. I will keep you all posted on how it goes.
Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Re: 34 months...LIS, that's all folks

Postby chachacha » 06 Sep 2017, 20:25

All the best tomorrow. I will think of you and wait patiently until you're back home and able to tell us all how great things went.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Postby Mypoorbutt » 07 Sep 2017, 04:25

Super good look it will go great. Look forward to hearing about you quick and smooth recovery
3 years is a long time but it will all fade once the dreaded fissure is no more :D
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Canadabum » 07 Sep 2017, 21:00

Hey all - I'm back!!

The procedure finally happened around 3pm today. All went well - so I was told. After a few deep breaths on the o.r. table, next thing I know I'm waking up in recovery. They monitored me for a couple hours and sent me to a secondary area where a nurse showed up.

I was in some pain - I'd say about 5/10. Sort of like a burn/kick in the butt feeling. They gave me a Percocet and a Tylenol (I didn't want two percs because they are constipating). Oddly the meds did little so the nurse gave me a dose of Advil -- and. Ow I think my pain is about a 2/3.

I'm groggy and woozy. I had some juice and Gatorade and now some chicken soup broth with a couple pieces of boiled veg.

My butt is covered in a piece of large gauze that I will remove before my first bm. Probably going to sleep with it on tonight.

Squeezing my butt I can feel something - probably the stitch or incision. I also had a papilla removed.

So far so good -- the expected pain is here and I am certainly thinking of the first couple bm on the way (stomach gurgling a lot on account of eating again after a 36 hour hiatus).

Hopefully it will be an uneventful night -- I'll keep you posted.

Best - CB
Canadabum

Postby chachacha » 07 Sep 2017, 21:53

Congrats! I'm so glad that the worst is behind you now. Hopefully, you'll wake up in good spirits tomorrow and have a very speedy recovery.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby Savaici » 08 Sep 2017, 12:38

Good luck with your recovery, CB!!! Holding everything I can for you!!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby patience_and_healing » 08 Sep 2017, 13:26

All the best for your recovery CB! Wishing you get back on your feet very soon!
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Canadabum » 08 Sep 2017, 16:02

Day 1...not that it is over yet....but so far so good. Woke up feeling good- little pain. Only took Advil - mostly because it's an anti-inflammatory and not for pain.

Had a small breakfast and lunch...passed a bunch of gas uneventfully....and actually went to the loo! It just came on and happened with little notice or fanfare (lol). It was just a little... but it broke the seal and the fear (mostly). No stings, no pain...no nothing! I can only hope this is a sign of things to come.

For lunch I had half a baked potato- so expecting a larger event later.

I showered up and sitz bathed (using salt) and air dried....

All good so far - so thankful.

Thank you all for your kind words and wishes...so much appreciated.

All best - CB
Canadabum

Postby chachacha » 08 Sep 2017, 16:15

Yay! That sounds just great. My first BM just slid out without fanfare too. Keep up the good work!
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby Canadabum » 09 Sep 2017, 11:49

Day 1 ended with a couple more bathroom trips - sorry if this is tmi for some...bit watery and gassy. Showered and sitz bathed again - did 4 sitz baths yesterday.

Today I went to the loo again - bit of a sting and a trace of blood.. probably from the incision site. Showered and sitz...all good. Still in normal discomfort - but pain is a 1/10.

The major pain I have is a general body ache - my core, hips, neck...and a sore throat. I'm guessing it is due to the position I was in on the table and recovery room. It's like I am recovering from an extremely intense workout. Anyone else experience this.

All in all I'm good. Thanks all!!!
Canadabum