Suggestion needed

and hi there :)

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Suggestion needed

Postby fistulato » 02 Sep 2017, 14:01

Hello everyone :)
Glad to discover this community and want to share my story in hope of recommendations :)

Im 30 male, with no problems with digestive system, dont take into consideration small blood drops after bm once in year or two

3 month ago, suddenly discovered a bump near anus, about 2-3 cm, at first i thought it was a hemorrhoids and started to take some pills for it and sit on diet. but eventually guessed that it as different kind of animal (well, google works :) )
it was painful only on touch, and seemed like an abscess. visited crs immediately
he examined and told me it was incomplete, front anal fistula (incomplete means only opening in colon). and suggested surgery. as i didnt had time to recover at that time i have post-phoned.
after 2 month, it made its way on skin and about week ago, looks like a big acne spot, and after i managed to open, some pus had came out and continues to do so (little drops a day), the size of bump is decreased. that abscess head is between anus and testicle skin, about 30%/70% closer to anus

i have no pain, no discomfort on bm, just have to put some sticker on abscess head, as its very painful when it touches with clothes and also to keep that few pus/blood drops.

now I have questions, do i really need surgery? it wont heal itself as it has opening out now?
how long it takes to start walking and get back to work?
how long it takes to walk a lot (8-10KM) ?
in month will i be able to do some fitness? im ok with little pain.

or, as it doesnt affects me by now, should I wait to new technologies in that field? like the plugs, lift and etc?
what about glue injection?

thanks
fistulato
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Suggestion needed

Postby LemonMan » 03 Sep 2017, 16:16

Hi, Fistulato,
I would definitely get the surgery done. From what you are saying you now have full fistula-in-ano. This is something that is very unlikely to get better on its own I'm afraid, and could branch off somewhere else if you leave it.
Typically the surgery takes about three months to recovery from (heal completely), but it depends where you fistula is exactly. This will determine what type of surgery you have. Fibrin glue should already be available as an option to you.
I had something similar, in that I had an abscess laid open, I was able to get back to work after about a week.
Best of luck to you, LM
Aug 14: Anal Abscess diagnosed
Dec 15: Anterior Anal Fissure diagnosed
Jan 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of Jan
Apr 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of May
Sep 16: Fissure back. Started Anoheal again
May 17: Botox and banding - fingers crossed
LemonMan
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby fistulato » 04 Sep 2017, 09:59

LemonMan
thanks for supporting

yess, its kind for fistula in ano, and it has abscess open by now, but no more pus
well, I need approximate dates, if I can be 90% back to life in 2 month? like walking a lot does not affects it or smth like that, than I will do the surgery

as I see from reading, in 1 week i will be able to walk sit etc get abck to work
after 3 week there wont be any open wound?

in that case 2 month seems a good perspective
fistulato
Fibre Addict

Postby LemonMan » 04 Sep 2017, 13:47

Hi Fistulato,
I would say you would be 90% back to normal within 2 months based on my own experience. Personally I was able to walk reasonable fine after a couple of weeks with an open wound. However you need to discuss what procedure your CRS wants to do and get their take on it. Don't worry too much though I am sure it will be fine. With fistual-in-ano you can end up in a cycle where things seems to heal, only to get worse again, drain out, and then heal up again - over time getting worse and worse. So you definitely need to take action.
Best of luck, LM
LemonMan
VIP

Postby fistulato » 10 Sep 2017, 01:54

LemonMan
surgeon says that i will be walking from second day, and be almost normal in 2 weeks
can you please briefly list the recovery timings? like when wound bleeding ends, when wound is closed (not healed but closed) or how is bm treated, does it hurt? for how long?

thank you very much
fistulato
Fibre Addict

Postby LemonMan » 10 Sep 2017, 02:41

Hi Fistulato, Did the surgeon tell you what he plans to do? In terms of my own experience I had an abscess laid open. It was about 2cm from my anus and was a bump about 1cm across. The cut I had was about 3cm long and the abscess was drained out. The operation took about half an hour and was performed as an out patient.

I was discharged with pain killers (paracetamol) and laxatives. I don't remember being in too much pain and didn't really bother with the painkillers. I bled for about and hour or so. My first bowel movement was quite painful but after that things were ok.

I was able to move around the house after a couple of days, and was back up work after a week, again with little pain. The main thing I did was to make sure I showered after every bowel movement to clean the wound. I also had to wear a pad in my underwear for about a month to keep the area dry and soak up small amounts of fluid. In my case it was 95% healed in about 6 weeks and 100% healed in 3 months.

My advise is to make sure you keep your stools soft after that as the scar tissue can be a weak spot. I later went on to get a fissure just under the scar due to constipation, but that was another story altogether.

Good luck!
LM
LemonMan
VIP

Postby fistulato » 11 Sep 2017, 04:31

LemonMan
thank you very much
that success stories just makes me still thing about surgery
otherwise, its not affecting me and the possibility to open fistula and in case of deep one end up with seton for life does not sound attractive :(
fistulato
Fibre Addict