Post op LIS problems

Problems after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Post op LIS problems

Postby Armyguy » 12 Oct 2017, 11:01

Hello everyone. A little bit about myself. I’ve been visiting the forums for about 3 years but never created an account until today.

I currently am in the US Army and am male. About 3 years ago I developed a chronic anal fissure which became very problematic. Especially with the work I do in the military. I pretty much was given the choice of get LIS or get a new job.

So September 11th 2017 I actually had LIS. Now before anyone asks. No I went to reputable civilian doctor who has performed hundreds of these with great success. After surgery I was in a lot of pain but it was pretty much to be expected after surgery. After about 10 days my fissure felt about 90 percent better. But my incision site had developed an abscess. So on 28th of September I went to see my CRS. He took a look and said we have to do an in office procedure on the abscess. Will be pretty quick.

So I think okay Doc you know what you’re doing. So after the local anesthetic, which let me tell you, was worse than anything I had felt in that area before, he lances the abscess. He then tells me that’s all I should need and I’ll be all better.

Well besides being sore from where he cut the abscess I actually started feeling better. Temporarily. Well about a week ago, I started getting pain again at the incision site. So yesterday on 11 October 2017 I go back and see him. Of course I’m a nervous wreck because my last experience with him was really unpleasant.

He seems surprised to see me and takes a look. He says yeah. We still have some infection there. We can do an in office procedure again or I can put you under anesthesia in the surgery center and do something. Obviously I opt for the in office. Same thing as before but this time he cuts more area and is digging around looking for a fistula. This time he says I really didn’t get much pus out. I cut off some inflamed tissue. I didn’t see a fistula. But if you’re not better by Monday 16th I’m gonna have to go inside again but this time under anesthesia.

So here’s the deal I’m not trying to complain to you guys. I know many of you have gone through worse. I’m just very frustrated and upset right now. I have no idea why this “painless” surgery that’ll have me back at work in a “week” is having these issues. Is what I’m going through normal? Anyone else run into this before? I’m really just reaching out to people have been through this before and looking for some reassurance or some hope. Because as I type this in my bathtub I feel like a total baby.

Thank you
Armyguy

Topics: 1

Re: Post op LIS problems

Postby patience_and_healing » 16 Oct 2017, 21:56

Hi Armyguy, you are not a baby that's for sure. This is a difficult experience to go through for anyone. It might be better for the doctor to put you under then that way they can take a close look at what is going on. If you read the account of a member called NeuropathicGuy (who no longer posts) you'll find he had a similar experience 2 weeks after surgery and had to have an infection cleared out. There is a lot of useful information on this forum from other members who've been through this too. Try not to worry too much, you will get through this very soon!
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40