Rectogesic

Opened for way beyond 8 weeks

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Rectogesic

Postby Chris Wild » 12 Nov 2017, 10:37

Hi all, about 7 or 8 months ago, I suffered a fissure from passing hard stools, and was given Rectogesic, which despite the headaches, gave me some relief. Today I passed another hard one, and have been in pain all day.
I still have a load of Rectogesic left, but always see it should be disregarded after 2 months.

Is this because it loses its effectiveness, or Doctors don’t want you to take it long term, or it could have some harmful side effects.
Appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Chris
Chris Wild

Topics: 1

Re: Rectogesic

Postby Mypoorbutt » 12 Nov 2017, 15:27

Hi I would say it loses its effectiveness but I have on occasion used one that has been opened for about 4 month just out of desperation it did help a bit but it as much as it normally does. No side effects and the headache was also less pronounced.
You can phone you doc tomorrow and get him to prescribe another one...if they are busy they can do it without seeing you as you have had it previously
Try and get one asap as the sooner a fissure is treated the quicker it heals, as I’m sure you know
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Myitzu » 12 Nov 2017, 17:42

I was healed in January this year and last weekend, I got fissure back because straining hard stool. I used open rectogesic for 4 days and it worked as usual, and emptied the tube. Now I got new tube and starts using, still got pain while in BM, other then that, no pain at all but felt stingy when I applied.
Myitzu
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Chris Wild » 13 Nov 2017, 03:35

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate. Yes ,the initial sting/ itch is awful but the less of the 2 evils!
Cheers
Chris Wild

Topics: 1

Postby Wily » 26 Nov 2017, 04:25

I would think that rectogesic would lose its potency in time.
I am a nurse and we only keep GTN tablets open for 1 month after opening, as exposure to air denatures the nitrates.
Rectogesic is a different preparation but the same drug - I recommend getting a new tube.
Wily
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2