Pregnant with a Fissure

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Pregnant with a Fissure

Postby Allthepain » 05 Dec 2017, 16:19

Has anyone else gone through pregnancy with a fissure? I was in the process of healing one with Diltiazem when I found out I was pregnant. As soon as the constipation hit, I went right back to square one with pain and bleeding. I'm trying a bunch of diet changes at the moment to try and help. Metamucil has made it easier to go but doesn't necessary help with the pain. I want to take some sort of laxative long term to keep things soft but I'm a little worried about using them long term while pregnant. Prunes were just gross and didn't do anything for me. Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Also, has anyone heard of a fissure being dangerous while pregnant? I worry about some sort of infection spreading to the baby since I basically have an open wound with feces passing over it, but I haven't come across anything saying this could be an issue. I know pregnant women get bleeding hemorrhoids a lot so I suppose it's the same sort of thing.

Going to be a long and painful 9 months!
Allthepain
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: Pregnant with a Fissure

Postby Hopefull123 » 05 Dec 2017, 16:57

Hi, I would suggest to share this with your doctor so they can give you guidance on risks and treatment. As far as laxatives go, for a long time I also was scared to take any and was relying on fiber but that did not work. I now take magnesium citrate one pill with each meal and it works wonderful. This is just a supplement and not like the other laxatives. Test which foods harden your stool and dont eat them. I hope that helps.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Allthepain » 06 Dec 2017, 11:43

Thanks for the response. I plan to talk to my doctor about the issue, but I'm not sure how familiar she will be with it.

I currently can have mostly painless BM's on occasion if I somehow find the magic combination of foods/supplements. I've had a hard time finding a consistent solution so far. I'm going to start a food diary and track my BM's. Hopefully no one ever comes across this journal haha.

It seems like the diet solutions vary for each person on here from what I've read so I'm honestly not sure which foods are the worst at this point. Maybe I'll try an elimination diet or something. I hope to find some sort of answer because this pain, as you all know, is absolutely awful.
Allthepain
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby missy moo » 09 Feb 2018, 23:21

Hi my fissure got really good for the last 5 months of my pregnancy because of all the muscle relaxing hormones in my body hopefully the same happens for you. I wouldn't worry about an infections getting the baby or a fissure being unsafe while pregnant it's just a pain in the a## that's all maybe your doctor can help you more good luck and congratulations on the pregnancy : )
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37