How much blood should I expect with an anal fissure?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How much blood should I expect with an anal fissure?

Postby kriknosretep » 05 Jan 2018, 17:11

This is going to be a long post, so please bear with me.

So this is something I never, ever thought I'd be posting on an Internet forum.

Go figure.

Anyhow, I have dealt with blood on toilet paper for literally decades. I'm 48 years old and I guess I first saw small amounts of blood on toilet paper maybe around 10 or 12 years old. It's always been small amounts.

For as long as I can remember, I've had to wipe, and wipe, and wipe, and wipe, and then wipe some more to get clean. I have no clue why other people can take 33 1/2 seconds to wipe and then they're done, while with me, sometimes (VERY rarely) it's quick, but most of the time I can spend longer wiping than I did having a bowel movement.

In any event, all of this wiping has lead to what I always assumed were small cuts which would bleed a tiny bit and then stop for days or even sometimes weeks.

I have also dealt with what I assume are hemorrhoids since about 2002. They were never officially diagnosed (although one doctor did tell me that I had a hemorrhoid one time when he was examining me for a different reason), but I've had all the classic symptoms of both hemorrhoids and anal fissures, but the bleeding has typically always been pretty minor.

In the last few months, I have occasionally had some small amounts of blood mixed in with the stool, but just minor streaking along with some small amounts of blood on the toilet paper.

Two or three days ago, this all seemed to change.

This past Wednesday (1/3/18), I had four bowels from about 5:00 AM up until close to 8:00 AM. Two of those were at my gym which, of course, has the cheapest, most horrible toilet paper around.

The last time I used the toilet, I saw fairly typical amounts of blood on the paper. But then later that day (about four hours later), I went home for lunch and tried to use the toilet again. I apparently did not need to, but I wiped anyway for good measure, and a substantial amount of blood was on the toilet paper.

Today, Friday (1/5/18), I had a similar experience: I had four bowel movements in a span of about 3 hours. This time, however, at the gym, I was much more careful and wiped very carefully. I did not notice any blood. But when I went home for lunch, I had another small bowel movement and this time, the stool was covered in blood, the water was all red and there was, again, a large amount of blood on the paper.

So, all that to say this: I'm convinced I have cancer and am going to die soon. Even though I have no symptoms of cancer at all, with the exception of the blood.

Can anyone help me out here? Should I expect only small amounts of blood with an anal fissure or hemorrhoid? Or are large, copious amounts of blood also common?

I should note that I DO typically and very commonly have all the symptoms of hemorrhoids and fissures (particularly fissures): intense burning while having a bowel movement and after, anal itching, etc.

I should also note that about two years ago I did have a bout with potentially IBS or IDB. The doctor wasn't sure as some symptoms were present for both, but not all of them. I only very rarely am ever constipated or have diarrhea.

Any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to ask any questions if I've left anything out.

Thank you!

KP
kriknosretep

Topics: 1

Re: How much blood should I expect with an anal fissure?

Postby Mypoorbutt » 06 Jan 2018, 09:11

Hi KP
it’s always best to check with your doc if you have any new symptoms and IBD can occur at any age and blood in stools should always be checked out.
But to reassure you I have often had this happen to me even when I’m not having a crohns flare and my CRS says that internal hems can bleed after a BM and the blood can build up and come out with the next BM are if there is enough on its own. If it’s bright red blood that could be what is happening....when I’m having a flare I have deep purple blood with lots of clots as well.
Try not to worry too much but do go and get it checked out with your doc though.
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby kriknosretep » 06 Jan 2018, 09:20

I appreciate the reply. Thank you!

I do intend to get checked out (I just don't WANT to, so I've been slow about it). I tend to always assume the worst and the first thing I think is: cancer.

What's odd is that there has been a LITTLE pain with this blood, but not much at hard--really, hardly any, whereas in the past, if I had little bits of blood on the toilet paper, I would often have tons of burning and itching pain, like sometimes almost unbearable burning.

I have no clue if I have an internal hemorrhoid and short of going to a doctor, I don't know how to find out. But I imagine that what you said may be what's happening. I'm bleeding internally from (hopefully!) and internal hemorrhoid and it builds up and then eventually all comes out the next time I use the toilet.

Would appreciate replies from other folks too who have had a similar situation.
kriknosretep

Postby Sorebum36 » 06 Jan 2018, 13:29

Hi

I can definitely relate. I now have a nasty fissure flare up which I hadn’t had in almost a year or so. I usually have a flare when I’m going through emotional stress (i have a 2 month old baby) and although I usually heal fast (3 weeks or so) it’s been 6 weeks of terrible after bm burning and bleeding every single time, it’s not a lot, but I do see some on the stool and a bit on the Tp. I wonder if it’s an internal hemmie acting up, though this awful burning pain is more fissure-related than hemmie, imo. I have an appointment next Thursday with a new CRS to see if they can finally prescribe Nifedipine, since those stupid ointments the other CSR gave me last time I had a flare are not working, and taking care or a 2 month old with this awful pain is just terrible :(
Sorebum36

Topics: 3

Postby kriknosretep » 06 Jan 2018, 20:42

Sucks, doesn’t it?!

I can handle the pain. It’s the blood that scares the heck out of me.
kriknosretep

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion