Fissure healed (acc. to doc) but still pain when sitting

A sub-forum for those with pain, but no explanation for it. Vent, share, ask, and help others. That is what this little corner is all about!

Return to Chronic Anal and Rectal Pain

Fissure healed (acc. to doc) but still pain when sitting

Postby waves » 25 Dec 2017, 04:52

I know it's Christmas day. But unfortunately my pain doesn't have a holiday....

I've been struggling with a chronic fissure since March 2016. In around September I was at another appointment at the hospital and they checked the fissure area and told me that the fissure looks healed (new skin has grown over it). So I said I still have pain almost on a daily basis. So they said we can try botox. So we tried botox and I don't think it helped much. So around 2 months later I went to another follow up to the doctor and she checked me through again and I described that it didn't help much.
I explained what type of pain I have and I said that I usually get pain when I'm sitting on certain types of chairs such as an office chair, a car seat or many other types (not all cause me pain). The longer I sit on it the stronger the pain gets. The pain is only on my left side (where the fissure was/is) and the right side of my body is completely unaffected.
The doc said she thinks the pain I have isn't caused by the fissure anymore since it seems to have healed. I somehow agree with her because that pain I get now is kind of different.
Usually when I wake up I'm pain free. The later the day the stronger the pain. Usually caused by sitting.
I also noticed that when I go to the gym and do certain exercises I get a lot of pain a few hours later and the following 2-3 days.
The pain is mostly like a burning pain radiating from the fissure site and spreading around my entire buttons (left side only) going down the thighs.
The doc also said it seems like my mucuosa is inflamed and gave me some supposotiries to first get rid of the inflammation.

In the end she also mentioned that it also seems that I might be "more sensitive to pain" than other people. Which kind of appalled me a bit because the pain really IS very strong at times and I really don't feel like I'm overly sensitive to pain.

So today I'm awake for about 90 minutes and I can already feel the pain crawling up on me again. At the moment I would say it's a level 2 pain on a scale to 10. By tonight it probably climbs up to a level 7-8 pain before I go to bed.
There's days I really just go to bed early just to "end" the pain because when laying in the bed the pain usually decreases quickly.

Anyways, long story short: does anyone have an idea what I have? is this really not the fissure anymore? how can I get this to heal?
It's really terrible since i'm working in an office all day long and we don't have any standing desks there and I'm usually barely able to survive a day after sitting for 8 hours straight trying to find a position that doesn't make my left buttock muscles to explode in pain.
Also I am almost scared to go to the gym because every time I go I feel like the pain level increases by 2-3 levels for the next 2-3 days.

I've tried pain killers already and they only help a little bit...

Have another appointment at the hospital later this week for a follow up check how much the anti-inflamation suppositories had an effect on me. After that I don't know what's going to happen next.
At least it "seems" like the fissure itself is behind me now but that other pain isn't much of a relief to me either...

Happy Holidays....
waves
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Fissure healed (acc. to doc) but still pain when sitting

Postby patience_and_healing » 26 Dec 2017, 12:04

Do you have access to pelvic physical therapy? If your be fissure is healed but the muscles are still tight then a PT might be able to help you. They can also attach sensors to your external or internal muscles and find out if you're contracting them unconsciously while you sit.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby waves » 26 Dec 2017, 13:44

I think she mentioned this last time that I would have to do some physio therapy and I should be able to get rid of that "non-fissure" pain.
I didn't know they can attach sensors to internal muscles there. wow. I hope they can do that to find out what is causing my pain when sitting.
doc said she first has to get rid of my inflamed mucuosa. taking some suppositories to stop the inflamation. will have next checkup this thursday. I will ask her about the physio therapy with those sensors for muscle contraction.
waves
Salt Bather

Postby patience_and_healing » 31 Dec 2017, 14:14

I hope you can find the answer to stopping the pain. Have the anti inflammatory suppositories helped at all? And could you tell me the drug that's used in them? I've often thought that I might benefit from an anti inflammatory medication too, and would like to bring it up with my doctor.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby waves » 31 Dec 2017, 14:37

Hmm i'm in the train right now and can't remember the name of the suppositories. But I think we have different brands in Switzerland anyways. It's a prescription medication also used for Morbus Crohn patients. Just describe the medication to your doc. I think it does moderately help me with the pain. The burning pain definitely has decreased a bit.
What I think helps me even better is incense pills. I recently remembered that I used them to treat my inflamed... Arms and fingers? From the keyboard typing (sorry, don't know the English name of this condition). It helped me a lot and I still had some at home so I started to take them (2 grams 3x a day) and I think they noticeably decreased the pain by around... 70-80% maybe? Will continue to take them for the next few weeks.
waves
Salt Bather

Postby Elle1007 » 14 Jan 2018, 22:45

Waves. How are you feeling, now?
Elle1007
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby waves » 15 Jan 2018, 02:14

Still having daily pain. Best is waking up in the morning, then I have a few minutes of "peace" until the daily pain-cycle starts again.
Bought one of those donut-pillows, they help a bit when I change sitting position often.
There's days where it's better, other days I need to take a pain killer in order to be able to endure it.

I was going to have a physiotherapy session last week but he cancelled because he's sick. next appointment is in 2 weeks. so I am thinking about finding another one who has an appointment earlier since I really don't want to wait any minute longer than necessary to start treating this and hopefully get that pain away.
waves
Salt Bather

Postby Elle1007 » 15 Jan 2018, 11:40

I am so sorry. Maybe some glute yoga stretches? Sit straight up on the floor, with your legs out stretched. Since your left side has the pain, gently pull your left knee towards your right shoulder. Be very gentle and slow.
Elle1007
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby waves » 15 Jan 2018, 15:49

Thanks I will try this out! I think that might help!
I actually think day by day I have a tiny little bit less pain. so I am still in good hopes that I will be able to become pain-free again this year.
9 more days until I have my first physio therapy session. I am counting the minutes!
waves
Salt Bather

Postby valentinak » 09 Jun 2018, 05:01

Waves how are you now?

I have almost the same story as you....Currently i have days when i am all fine, and then a day that just a tiny bit harder stool goes through the annus i start feeling uncomfortable again for about 2/3 days. Then it goes better again. But it is so irritating that it doesn't disappear permanently.

My fissure was also on the left side, and after it healed by using Diltizem for about 2 weeks....I was left with this feeling of slight burning...or like a bruise on the left side...that is getting irriated by long sitting on a chair.
valentinak