Looking for relief. Some questions

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Looking for relief. Some questions

Postby EllCee » 02 Feb 2018, 04:35

Oh my gosh, I just wrote the longest post ever and by the time I hit "Post" it said I needed to log in again and then everything was lost. GAAAAH!

I don't have time to write my whole story out again right now, so I can write the details again later, and maybe just do a short summary and some questions. So please excuse the briskness.

28 year old woman. Fissure for 5.5 years. Minor (I don't have spasms). So its enough to get by in life, but I am in general miserable.

Started just adjusting my diet away from major triggers, mostly just coffee, and upping my fibre with Metamucil
Tried Dilatizem. Felt soo good while taking it. Got dermatitis and had to stop after 3 weeks... Fissure came back worse than before
Tried GTN. also felt amazing. Headaches were unmanagable and had to stop after 5 weeks. Fissure again came back.

Got sent to the CRS on Monday. He didn't recommend LIS because I was a young female, which he said increases the incontinence risk. So we decided Fissurectomy+Botox. Book for end of March.

My problem is, I live overseas and dad and mom are planning their first visit over to see me in April and May, respectively. I'm really excited to show them around, I have lots of great hiking near my home. And I'm so excited to see them, especially my mom which will be the first time in 16 months.
I think that 1-2 months after my surgery will be too soon to be doing all the travelling and visiting and hiking I want to do. Do you all think so? It sounds from reading this that it takes probably 3 months to start feeling normal and mobile again.

Also, after telling my family about the upcoming surgery, my step-mom says that she has also been suffering for 20 years (!!!). But that her CRS didn't want to do the surgery and so she instead had a strict diet and it has cured it. The problem is, she is still doing the diet (has been for many years). I would love to do something that would cure this mess, but I want to eat food I like, and drink coffee again! I don't mind having a diet untill I'm fixed, but I'm not quite ready to commit my life to missing my favourite foods.

So what I'm thinking, and I would love feedback, is that maybe I postpone the surgery until after my folks are gone, and maybe try this diet and maybe I will see improvement and not have to have the surgery at all? I really want to be over this and am about ready to do anything, but the surgery and recovery sounds scary. Especially when I have such important plans right after. I'm even willing to attempt to survive the torture of the GTN headaches again, knowing that there is a light at the end where I can stop and be free.

Also, I have been avoiding stool softener and just sticking to lots of fibre. I am worried cause I read about having a dependency on it, but after this forum, maybe a stool softener is something I need to try and give my butt the best chance it can to fix itself. Do you guys recommend that? Can I get it over the counter, or do I need to see my GP?

Really loving this forum. Its a great resource. I'm doing a lot of reading and searching. Trying to make the best decision I can.
Thanks for any help!
xx
EllCee
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Looking for relief. Some questions

Postby Mypoorbutt » 02 Feb 2018, 05:27

Hi I had Botox and was back at the gym and swimming after 2 weeks yes I was still a bit sore after a BM but the Botox totally stopped my spasms. By week 6 after Botox I was only experiencing around 20 mins of burning after a BM....before Botox I had horrendous spasms that could last 24 hours....it’s up to you and if your not having spasms then waiting won’t really impact your life.
Unfortunately if you have an actual intolerance for certain foods then you may have to cut them out for a good while.
I would also recommend hot baths after every BM where possible and don’t wipe with toilet paper after a BM use a shower head or a portable bidet, wet wipes or even wet toilet paper.
Good luck with whatever you decide
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby EllCee » 05 Feb 2018, 05:26

Hi thanks!

I have mostly-daily 15 min soaks, and when I'm at home I don't use toilet paper, but my removable shower head. I've been doing this for years. It does cause some relief, but if I have BM at work I don't have those options. I can look into getting wet wipes maybe.

I am having a fissurectomy with my Botox. Does this increase the healing time? I don't know, but it seems like if there is a surgery with cutting, I probably won't be ready to walk 20kms climbing mountains anytime soon. But if someone can tell me otherwise, that would be good news to me. I don't really know what a fissurectomy will be like. Will there be stitches?

I'm not sure I actually have an intolerance, but maybe I'm ignorant about it. I haven't noticed that much difference in BM, no matter my diet. I'll see how some restrictions work for me though.
EllCee
Fibre Addict

Postby patience_and_healing » 05 Feb 2018, 12:06

This diary by one of the forum members could be helpful for you botox-sentinel-pile-removal-and-fissurectomy-diary-t11940.html. Of course everyone's experience is different but I hope you can decide the right course of action for yourself soon.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby missy moo » 06 Feb 2018, 03:35

Hi Ellcee I'm a 29 year female and I've had my fissure on an off for 4.5 years. Where do you live? I've been advised to have a fissurectomy an Botox aswel and I'm booked in to have it done in 6 days I'm so scared an like you I have pain free times and I am pain free right now so I keeping maybe I should cancel an try live like this I also have events not long after my surgery two very big special events one at 1month post surgery and my son's first birthday 2 months post surgery so I'm in two minds my anxiety is through the roof!!
Last edited by missy moo on 06 Feb 2018, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby missy moo » 06 Feb 2018, 03:36

Sorry I meant to say ( so I keep thinking maybe I should cancel)
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby missy moo » 11 Feb 2018, 23:01

Hi again I had my Botox today here's the link youay not need a fissurectomy aswel my surgeon decided against it while in the op room fissurectomy-an-botox-t13238.html link
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby EllCee » 02 Jul 2018, 17:02

Hi Missy,

Sorry I missed all your messages. I forget to check here, unless I'm looking for help.

I'll read your story now. Hopefully it can give me some hope. I decided to cancel my botox+fissurectomy for now, but I'm willing to revisit it as an option in the future.
EllCee
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 02 Jul 2018, 19:17

Hey my fissure still hasn't healed but life is much better since having Botox it's improved my life because I have less pain.
missy moo
King Fissure