What is the best long term softener?

Apart from movicol anything else

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

What is the best long term softener?

Postby missy moo » 15 Mar 2018, 14:19

I was thinking about using magnesium but not sure what kind?? I'm having a hard bm every second day with the same water an diet daily so a bit frustrated :x
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Re: What is the best long term softener?

Postby Fissure UK » 18 Mar 2018, 11:03

Hi

You could try adding prune juice to your diet. No preparation-just open & pour in to a glass.

I find the good thing about this is the ability to control  BMs.  The more frequent the juice is taken, and the greater (or lesser) amounts are taken each time seem to have a corresponding effect/outcome. Give it a try and see what you think
Fissure UK
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby missy moo » 18 Mar 2018, 13:09

Only thing I don't like is I can only the big bottle at my local store an it only lasts a week in the fridge? I guess I could freeze half that would last two weeks I've just stared taking olive oil morning an night so I'll see how that goes first thanks for your advice I did forget about prune juice I'm having trouble with the head of stools being dry an hard at the moment
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Fissure UK » 18 Mar 2018, 13:36

I don't know where you are, but in the UK we have the 1 litre cartons in all the major super markets.

Hard dry stools sounds like you are not drinking enough liquid. Large 2lt bottles of prune juice would last me about 3 days. You must drink a lot more fluids or you are risking major problems. Avoid  meat products that are harder to digest.

The daily recommended fluid intake for people without our problem is 8 glasses (4 pints) of liquid. With our mutual problem we need to aim for 16 glasses per day.
Fissure UK
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 18 Mar 2018, 13:46

I drink 1.5 - 2ltrs of water a day an the Start of my stools only dry out leading up to an during my period so it's very annoying I also take 1 teaspoon 2x a day of psyllium husk powder
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Fissure UK » 18 Mar 2018, 14:01

I cannot tell you what to do. I can only advise you. 2 litres of water per day is not enough.

Try doubling the amount of water and see what happens. What have you got to lose.  If you don't like water drink decaf tea- just drink lots.Also, don't forget to keep moving around thoughout the day.
Fissure UK
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 18 Mar 2018, 14:05

Wow more then 2ltrs isn't enough? I know people who don't drink water or bugger all of anything, sometimes at the moment I feel like I'm drowning myself, for some reason the tip of the stool is drying out at certain times of the month because for 2weeks of every month my stools are perfect
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Wily » 18 Mar 2018, 16:05

If you drink enough water to pass frequent light coloured urine -then that is sufficient.
There is no minimum amount that you 'have' to drink.
The way it works is that the bowel will only lose water from the stool if the blood is concentrated (i.e. dehydrated). Your blood won't be concentrated if your kidneys are releasing plenty of dilute urine.
Too many people get fixated on a minimum water amount- just another thing to stress over.
Wily
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Hopefull123 » 18 Mar 2018, 16:48

If you drink too much water you loose previous electrolytes. Drink normally, there is a different reason missy gets hard tips. If not the entire stool is dry this is not the water problem. Your body can draw only so much to the colon.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby missy moo » 18 Mar 2018, 16:50

Thanks yea I spent years stressing over water I've had this fissure for 4.5 years I was at one point drinking 3 ltrs an the doctor told me to reduce it as it's not doing anything but making you wee which I still do a lot of with just the 1.5 - 2 ltrs a day, My urine is always clear what do you suggest I do? Its only the start of the stool that's hard an dry I use to think maybe it's sitting to low in the bowel so it's in a non moisture protecting area. But most of the month my bms are perfect 3-4 on the Bristol chart but leading up to my period an during my period my body some how creates bms that have a dry hard head!! I always go once a day an a decent amount all at once sometimes I mite go an extra time if I've been eatting extra the day begore, I take psyllium husk powder an eat oats an whole meal bread my diet an water never changes but my bms do depending on the time of month it's my own body doing it to itself frustrating to say the least. And thank you also helpful such a great guide

:thankyou:
missy moo
King Fissure