Dulcoease (not dulcolax)

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Dulcoease (not dulcolax)

Postby over10yearsnow » 16 Apr 2018, 20:07

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if you can become resistant to dulcoease?
I've been suffering with fissures since I was a kid (nearly 44 now), and from them badly for around 13 years. I've been seen by surgeons but I don't want to go that route if I can avoid it. When I have a flare up it's certainly well past the point I should have surgery, but I can manage things in between and bad flare ups only happen every couple of years or so, so I'd rather cope.
The surgeon, and other Dr's, said I was fine to take stool softeners long term (indefinitely I guess) and that dulcoease was ok for this. I've now been on this for around 3 years and have been fine until a couple of months ago. You can take up to 5 a day and I would take 2, or 3 if in trouble. 4 would be way too much and cause problems.
Jan this year I started on a high protein diet for body building and over the next couple of months I was finding 3 dulcoease was not quite enough (scared to take 4 due to the last time I did that getting into trouble).
When I realised what was happening (unfortunately after having a bad flare up and spending a few nights in the bath due to pain and several hours a day sat on a hot water bottle unable to get off it) I stopped the excess protein and upped my dose to 5 per day.
Currently still on 5 day, I'm eating lots of fibre, drink lots of water and I exercise regularly, yet it's been over a month since cutting out the protein and although my stools are a little softer than what I'd consider 'normal', they are not quite soft enough for me to not cause trouble. Being on 5 dulcease a day, they should certainly be softer!!!!
I'm beginning to worry that I am becoming resistant to dulcoease.

My questions are:
• Does anyone know if you can become resistant to dulcoease (this is NOT dulcolax)?

• If so, can you recommend an alternative?

• Any ideas on how to change over to this without too many problems? I will be in trouble if too soft or too hard and so can't risk going ever a day without something and can't see how I'd balance a change over effectively.

I'm starting to get quite worried!!

Thank you
over10yearsnow
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Dulcoease (not dulcolax)

Postby Hopefull123 » 17 Apr 2018, 19:02

Try Miralax. Everyone is different and if you are experiencing this effect obviously it is not working for you anymore. But seriously, why not surgery. The procedure is simpler than a root canal. The risk of incontinence is almost nonexistent. Don't be afraid.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby over10yearsnow » 18 Apr 2018, 17:19

Thanks Hopeful123. Do you know if you can get Miralax in the UK? I've googled it can't see where I can buy it. I went to ask at the pharmacy today for some advice but the pharmacist wasn't there.

Thanks for your thoughts re surgery, I will definitely have a think. I just don't trust most surgeons / medical people. Too many bad experiences.
over10yearsnow
Salt Bather

Postby Hopefull123 » 18 Apr 2018, 18:56

I think in th UK it's called Movicol. You can also try magnesium citrate, take 200 mg with each meal, but no other softeners just to see if it will work. This is the best alternative since it is just a supplement, but larger dose of magnesium is not recommended ling term because it may lead to kidney toxicity. Around 500 mgs should be ok. Then if that doesn't work in 3 days try, you can try Movicol. If Movicol doesn't work you can combine with magnesium. And,adjust the dosage accordingly. Make sure your stool doesn't get too soft or liquid because it will become acidic and hitting the fissure will not give it a chance to heal. You also have to make sure your stool is formed besides being soft do your anal muscles don't atrophy. LIS has 98% success rate. Find a good surgeon, put an and to this, forget about it and move on with your life.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby over10yearsnow » 18 Apr 2018, 19:19

Thanks, I'll see if I can find that. I wouldn't be able to risk going straight onto something else to see if it would work. One difficult bowl movement and I'm in a world of pain that then takes weeks to break the cycle. I've been balancing things so carefully for a while now.
Good news is I went this evening and actually found things softer than the last few times despite taking 4 dulcoease rather than 5 for the last 2 days.
98% Really? Hmmmmm.....defo thinking now!!! I can't actually imagine this ever not being a problem after so many years.
over10yearsnow
Salt Bather

Postby Hopefull123 » 18 Apr 2018, 19:38

Yes, do some research on LIS. My surgeon said he has not seen any incontinence in the hundreds of surgeries he has done. The whole thing took 15 minutes under local anestjesia and in 3 weeks I was 90% healed. By week 7 I had forgotten and I can eat anything without being afraid. I only take psyllium husk fiber and I will continue forever because it ensures no straining and no constipation.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby over10yearsnow » 18 Apr 2018, 19:43

Wow that's great to hear you're doing so well. How long had you been suffering though? I've had them for around 30 years, and suffering badly, with major muscle spasms, for about 13 to 14 years I think now. I can't imagine how much damage there is in there :cry:
over10yearsnow
Salt Bather

Postby Hopefull123 » 18 Apr 2018, 19:48

Oh, I couldntt accept it longer that 6 months. I refused fear of surgery to take over my life especially when I read so any suffrage for years without much success with other methods.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby over10yearsnow » 18 Apr 2018, 19:54

Ah, that's very different than me then.

I just looked up Psyllium husk. I think I will certainly give that a try. It looks like it has many health benefits.
over10yearsnow
Salt Bather

Postby over10yearsnow » 18 Apr 2018, 20:07

How much psyllium husk can you take per day? I was about to buy some but it says one serving gives 1.76g of fiber. I try and get between 20 and 30g per day, so can't see even a couple of servings of this making a huge difference.

I can't see what it says on the product about a recommended daily amount.

Thanks
over10yearsnow
Salt Bather