One day after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

One day after LIS

Postby Guest » 04 Apr 2007, 17:50

Hi everyone, and thanks for all the supportive comments.
I had my surgery yesterday, and I'm delighted with the results so far.
The surgeon also removed a 1cm polup from my colon, and also found that i had a second internal fissure in addition to the one which he was able to see during the previous exam, so for me it was a worthwile (although anxious) surgery.
I slept very well last night, without the need for any pain killers. I'm still rushing to the toilet every hour with the most wind I've ever had :oops: along with some liquid motion.
Thanks to whom ever it was on this forum for suggesting those flexible shower hoses that slips onto a tap faucet, to wash-up in the bath tub after a BM.
I've started my high fibre diet, and I'm worried about having my first firm motion Image
Best wishes to everyone Image

Re: One day after LIS

Postby Guest » 04 Apr 2007, 19:59

Hey Steve,
So glad it is over and now the healing can begin. That is awesome you didn't need any pain meds last night. The passing gas thing is normal and will improve! Yeah, it sounds like the surgery was definitely the way to go with two fissures and a polyp.
Definitely, eat your high fiber diet, drink plenty of water and consider taking some fish or flax seed oil to keep it all smooth and slick! And of course get those baths. Sometimes I even put a warm washcloth there if I can't get in the tub.
Thanks for taking the time to post and let us know you are okay. Did you have general anaestesia or a spinal? Did they let you go home the same day or are you still in hospital? I'm not sure how they do it in Australia and since you were paying extra if you get extra special treatment!
Take care and happy healing,
Lecia

Postby Guest » 05 Apr 2007, 00:59

Hi Lecia, yes, they used a general, and there's still a little soreness in my throat from i guess a breather tube they used.
I was admitted for surgery at 1pm and discharged by 4pm feeling a little groggy. My wife drove me home and we stopped along the way for pain killers, which I haven't needed yet.
Being uninsured, my main benefit in paying as a private patient was being able to select the date of my operation and to choose which surgeon; and if my fissure heals as I hope it does, then it's worth every penny.
I've had at least three liquid BM's so far today; but I'm feeling very anxious about the first solid one I'm going to have Image
Bye for now, Steve

Postby Deleted User 5 » 05 Apr 2007, 06:07

Hooray!
Another fissure is going down the tubes!
If I were you, I wouldn't sweat the first BM, as long as you don't fall off the diet. It won't be bad, in all liklihood.
Avoid laxatives and painkillers, but use the painkillers sparingly if you need 'em! Do drink water! It And take Lecia's advice about the flax oil.
Your butt is going to feel real weird for about two weeks. It should feel raw and like theres a cushion or something up there.. This is normal.
Keep us posted!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 05 Apr 2007, 21:51

Hi everyone, and thanks for all the great advice which is 'spot on'.
I had my first BM this morning, and whilst it wasn't totally pain free I'd rate it about 20% of the pain which I would normally have with my AF episodes. I've been having a lot of fruit and high fibre food with water since the operation which I'm sure made my BM more comfortable that it would otherwise have been.
I just a very slight amount of spasming after the BM which some ibuprofen helped with.
Bye for now everyone Image

Postby Deleted User 5 » 06 Apr 2007, 06:10

Hopefully that spasming will vanish...let us know how that goes..
Kim
Deleted User 5