Anti-depressant / Cipralex.

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Anti-depressant / Cipralex.

Postby mike1971 » 05 Jun 2018, 14:07

Hi everyone.

I get back from seeing my surgeon today for a 3 week post fistulotomy operation. The doctor tells me the wound is healing well. Ask him why I have a dull, throbbing, burning pain at my anus. Examines me and tells me it's a thrombosed hemorrhoid. Prescribes Anusol HC cream.

I head over to my local pharmacy to pick up the cream. My GP (family doctor) is in the same clinic. I ask if I can see him and the secretary books me in for 20 minutes later. I see my doctor, explain my current situation, and he suggests I get on Cipralex anti-depressant as he believes it would help my mood in dealing with the painful physical issues I've had lately.

Prior to 3 months ago I was physically fine. Since my abscess, fistula, and now hems I've been definitely stressed out.

But I'm leery of using an anti-depressant at this point.

Anyone out there with personal experience? This would be a 10mg dosage for 3 months. 5mg (half a pill) for the 1st week, then a pill a day in the morning.

Thoughts?
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Re: Anti-depressant / Cipralex.

Postby Deleted User 7114 » 16 Jun 2018, 09:19

Hi Mike,

I don’t have any experience with anti-depressants, but if you feel you are losing the battle trying to keep your spirits up, it might be worth taking them. If you do, make sure to have some miralax on hand as I’ve heard anti_depressants can constipate, and I don’t think it’s worth testing to see if that is true for you. I’d personally take the anti-depressants and miralax at the same time to be sure.

How are you physically? Are you able to move around ? I find that forcing myself to get out the house despite the pain lifts my mood somewhat. It’s not easy, and not a miracle cure, but I’m trying not to let my life go to waste because of this fissure. Can you exercise? Even gentle sports like a walk would do you the world of good.

I know this is all so hard, and if you feel it is too hard, maybe give those anti-depressants a go. You deserve to be happy and enjoy life. Don’t let this dreadful problem get the better of you.

I wish you all the best xxx
Deleted User 7114

Re: Anti-depressant / Cipralex.

Postby mike1971 » 22 Jun 2018, 15:28

Thank you Hedgehogbum.

You are absolutely right. I need to get out. Walk. Get out of the house. I've tried driving short distances but it is painful in the bum. I can't lie indoors all day I've lost interest in watching TV, Internet , or radio.

Reading some of the previous threads here I've started to wonder whether the pain we experience may be directly or indirectly associated with our stress and anxiety. I belive there is some connection.

I'll be taking the Cipralex (Lexapro) to see if this helps my healing and recovery. I'm very stressed out Hedgehogbum and I need to do something drastic before it completely takes a hold of me.

I'll take your advice and up my Restoralax (Miralax ) daily. Due to my inactivity and stress levels I've been having one bm every 48 hours. It requires work and I'm trying not to but I need to push and strain. It's not as smooth or effortless as I'd like.

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. Just talking to someone helps.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14