6 years in - finally healed - butt plug magic

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

6 years in - finally healed - butt plug magic

Postby finallyhealed » 24 Jun 2018, 16:48

Hi guys,

I've been using this forum for a while now, and I've found it really helpful so I wanted to share with anyone else in need what cured my fissures.

My journey of 6 years:
For me there were two stages to my fissures: 1) the fissure 2) the relapse

1) Anytime my fissures would come back, I learned to pretty easily how to get rid of them. All I would need is a week or two of constantly softening my stool and pooping really slowly. Here are all the things I've tried and my experience with them.

a. I started by taking Docusate. This only kinda helped to soften my stool. I gave up on this pretty quickly
b. I moved onto Miralax. This worked immediately to get my stool to the ideal consistency. I eventually stopped using this though because I don't trust the ingredients' effects on the body longterm.
c. X% nitroglycerine prescribed by a doctor. This gave me an immense/pounding headache a few minutes after applying to my anus. I never used it again.
d. triphala (ayurvedic medicine). Decent stool softener, but not quite right for my fissures. It would make me poop an hour after taking it.
e. changing my diet. This is really the only thing that helps (aside from miralax) whenever my fissures come back. Loads and loads of veggies and oatmeal. Anything low on insoluble fiber (meat, bread aside from whole wheats) would have to be eaten with huge amount of veggies. The best option for me was going vegetarian anytime a fissure came back and eating tons of canned bean. (just so you know - going vegetarian and eating tons of pasta or rice defeats the purpose)

2) Even though I knew how to fix the fissure, they'd always come back with just one day of not eating enough insoluble fiber or not drinking enough water. This went on for 6 years. My guess as to why: scar tissure. I think I had fissures near both of my sphincters and scar tissue formed when the sphincters were closed making it impossible for the sphincters to open widely without re-tearing the anus. Even on my high-in-veggies diet, occasionally I'd have a hard stool that was also thick and would force my anus wider than it wanted.

The solution that worked for me that I read about on this forum: butt plugs.

Once the fissure was healed, I decided to start using butt plugs to expand the anus. It's probably not a good idea to do this until the fissures feel fully healed. [Then again, I did very mildly re-tear something at one point when I was using a 1.2" butt plug early on, but I kept it in for 5 hours and it seemed to heal enough to not have any problems the next day of using the same size plug.]

Here's what I bought on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A2JHXK8/

I started with the 1" diameter one and a month later could get the 1.5" one in comfortably. It took me a long time to get the first one in....probably 30 minutes while in a hot shower (I wasted a lot of water...). The second wasn't too difficult to use, but the third size also took me 30 minutes to get in after weeks on end of not successfully getting it fully in. I keep them in for anywhere from 3 to 8 hours at a time. At first it was rather unpleasant from the start to spend a few hours with them in. Now I could keep the largest one in all day and it's actually enjoyable to have in. I keep a jar of coconut oil in the shower that I use to lubricate the plugs.

Anyway, I haven't had a fissure since. I think even if I have scarring, the scarring accommodates a 1.5" stretch, which is hopefully more than enough to handle the possible stool sizes I could expect.

I'd imagine that I don't need to use the plugs anymore, but I can't say for certain because I've come to enjoy them and use them often when I'm not leaving my apartment (I work from home).

Richard
finallyhealed

Topics: 1

Re: 6 years in - finally healed - butt plug magic

Postby workingonitagain » 25 Jun 2018, 22:25

Hi,
Thanks for sharing your success!
I was wondering about butt plugs too but worried that because the part that would rest on the sphincter muscle would be the narrow part, that it wouldn't be worth the trouble...
Did it not start working till you used the largest size? So would the narrow part equate to an inch?
I also wondered if you had trouble with a sentinel? If so, did it go away?
I will have to try coconut oil too if I try this. I use diaper rash cream at the moment and it works well, but just for my finger tip.
Anyways, so glad that you are doing well!!
Tanya
workingonitagain
Fibre Addict

Postby patience_and_healing » 26 Jun 2018, 11:16

Hi workingonitagain,

Are you the same Tanya that posted about self dilation a few years ago? I just want to thank you for your detailed posts. I've read them during my own self dilation attempts and they were really helpful!

Talking about dilator widths(I use Dilatan dilators, currently trying to move to 23 mm), I spoke with my pelvic floor PT yesterday, and she said that beyond 27 mm, there isn't any physiological benefit to be attained. She didn't even recommend that I try to use the entire 27 mm one, just half of it. After that point if I'm still having pain then she recommended going back to the doctor to figure out the next steps.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby workingonitagain » 26 Jun 2018, 19:48

Yeah, I lost my handle here when a few years ago. I never did have luck with the self dilation but only because it is so hard to get privacy in my place ; )
That's why I thought a butt plug might be a good answer...
I have the dilitan dilators and they are great but just can't seem to do it regularly at all. Good to know about the size thing. So glad I could help! Sounds like you have good medical care. It's so hard to find ; )
I just use my finger for the last few months to kinda massage and gently stretch after each BM. I seem to be making progress but it is very slow with occasional set backs. Shrug.
workingonitagain
Fibre Addict

Postby patience_and_healing » 26 Jun 2018, 23:38

So you've had a fissure for a very long time then? From your last post I assumed you were healed up, but I'm sorry to hear that's not the case. Have you considered getting Botox done?
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby workingonitagain » 27 Jun 2018, 15:00

I was healed for a while but life got stressful and I guess I was taking it for granted.
It didn't bleed again but felt sore and the sentinel/skin tag grew back. Saw the CRS for confirmation and got the usual management blah blah blah.
I don't think botox is the answer for such a chronic thing. Time and patience and gentle stretching of scar tissue...
Menopause would prob help too! lol
workingonitagain
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 29 Jun 2018, 16:18

Workingonitagain why do you think menopause would help? I've heard from a doctor that during menopause woman get constipation an low estrogen so the skin gets poor? I'm 30 an just wondering haha
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby workingonitagain » 29 Jun 2018, 18:36

I have pretty extreme periods with a lot of PMS. I've tried the Mirena etc and have bad reactions. I just find that every month when I am PMSy my fissure symptoms worsen for a few days. My sentinel gets swollen, which pulls on the fissure. My anus gets tighter. No matter how careful of my diet my BMs get less fluid. Only restoralax (miralax) helps. It also makes it more difficult to keep that area clean : (
workingonitagain
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 29 Jun 2018, 22:05

Wow so true this is all true for me too I've thought about taking the pill to get rid of my dam periods they make my fissure worse too it seems to flear up a day or 2 before my period or during it as if you need to deal with two things at once and all the rest of life commitments aswel what is your age are you looking forward to menopause? Shows how bad fissures truely are doesn't it have you had Botox or anything? I had Botox for my fissure was a nice break but it's not healed it
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby workingonitagain » 30 Jun 2018, 13:58

I'm 50 and I've been perimenopausal for several years. I figure I only have a few more years before my wish comes true, lol ; )
Personally, I think botox would be a waste of time for me, and it's not without it's own dangers. I'll stick with my routine and just try to keep my spirits up and be patient. Nothing chronic is going to heal quickly or without setbacks.
workingonitagain
Fibre Addict