Looking for answers

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Looking for answers

Postby John667 » 03 Jul 2018, 14:34

Hi,

I'm so happy such a group do exist. I don't know yet if I have an AF but I do have all the symptoms.

I'm a mid-age man. When I was 19-20 years old, I remember having intense pain for a while for each BM, with blood, etc. Eventually it went away.

Two decades later, it came back with a vengeance after I changed what I ate. I decided to eat a lot more fibers and nuts, veggies, legumes, etc. For a while, it was great, and I was doing those foot long stool everyday and everything seemed normal. But at some point the pain was back, with blood, etc. For the last year, it's been going on and off and every time it gets better, all it needs is more solid stool and larger than usual and pain and blood is back. Lately, I've been able to get to 2-3 weeks without much symptoms (except maybe a slight narrowing of stool), but the pain is always back, and it's on a precise part of the anus.

My doc wants me to get a colonoscopy, but I was wondering if there is something less invasive because I am sure the problem is not in the colon but at the end.

My doc also prescribed nifedipine but I wonder if it will work long-term. Even if the AF somehow heals, wouldn't a much larger stool in a couple of months simply open it back again?

What could be a long term solution?

Thanks
John667
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Looking for answers

Postby Vishal » 03 Jul 2018, 14:45

Hi there

Seems like maybe you should try eating less. This would avoid bulking up the stool. Also try adding a teaspoon coconut or olive oil to every meal when you eat and using a cheap magnesium supplement to make the stool soft.
Vishal
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: Looking for answers

Postby John667 » 03 Jul 2018, 14:52

Vishal wrote:Hi there

Seems like maybe you should try eating less. This would avoid bulking up the stool. Also try adding a teaspoon coconut or olive oil to every meal when you eat and using a cheap magnesium supplement to make the stool soft.

Thanks for the reply. I'm already eating not that much and lost some weight (wanted to lose weight) so that wouldn't be my first choice.

I didn't think about olive oil or magnesium. How does it make stool softer?

And how could I get a good diagnosis without a colonoscopy (looking for something less invasive).
John667
Salt Bather

Topics: 7