New here

chronic anal fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New here

Postby jenA97 » 30 Dec 2018, 16:28

Hi,

I am a 39 year old mom of 2. My first pregnancy with my now 4 year old I had bad constipation issues but felt better after he was born. Then with my second boy, who is now 9 months I developed a fissure early on. I didnt know for a long time and thought it was just hemorrhoids. So its been over a year with the fissure. It used to be really bad...awful pain to have a bowel movement and pain for 6-8 hours after. After I had my son it improved a little but not enough to heal the fissure. I have seen a colorectal surgeon who put me on the Nitro ointment and told me to improve my fiber. Basically since then it's bearable but still not great. With 2 small kids sometimes I just get distracted and miss putting the cream on, or having enough fiber. I take benefiber and miralax daily. I have a hard time with stuff like fiber one, very gassy...but on a day like today where I am having a hard time passing stool...I sort of want to take some just to have an "explosion" and clean me out..but Im already sore so Im not going there. First time in a while ive had to sit on icepacks but here I am. My dr. now wants me to have the surgery. He warned me that they may have to do a full anesthesia with breathing tube since I have to lay on my belly during and I am heavy and also cant breathe laying face down due to allergies. Im nervous about it and really debating whether its "ok" for me to live the way I am living. As long as I follow all the rules I have pretty nice poops but any time I forget or dont get enough water I pay for it.

Has anyone healed one of these things without surgery when it has lasted this long? I have a sentinel pile as well...I have to be careful to avoid it when I wipe because it hurts.

Thanks everybody.
jenA97
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: New here

Postby Abu » 31 Dec 2018, 10:13

Hey Jen,

there are many success stories of people healing without surgery. You can check that part of the forum to find those posts. I recommend you to change your diet and eliminate all unhealthy foods - for good. This way, you will not have to remember to take medicines or fiber. And it will fix your gut too - just don;t expect this to happen overnight.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby jenA97 » 03 Jan 2019, 19:58

I have slowly overhauled my diet but the problem is the muscle is now so tight that I keep coming back round to reaggrivating the tear. I'd like to be 90% healthy foods but I am being realistic in that Im not a person who can live without eating a candy every now and then. Im just so tired of fighting and being in pain.
jenA97
Fibre Addict

Postby Abu » 03 Jan 2019, 23:32

There is no other way. Sugar and carbs feed pathogenic bacteria in your gut so you will not be able to heal. You must eliminate it in order to be able to starve the bad bacteria and give a chance to the good guys. That means no more sugar or processed foods for at least 6 months and afterwards only sporadically, which is once or twice a month. Your choice in the end but don't expect miracles unless you fight for your health.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jenA97 » 04 Jan 2019, 12:13

I cant do this for another 6 months. Im sitting on an ice pack right now. My sphincter is so tight from the tear that even passing pencil thin stool hurts like hell.
jenA97
Fibre Addict

Postby Abu » 04 Jan 2019, 13:13

You need a good doctor Jen. Maybe try botox first, I don;t know, I was never that bad so cannot give you any advice. I managed to heal myself using only conservative measures.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Okaybum » 04 Jan 2019, 14:34

I have found that deep breaths in and out help to exhaust the muscles and allow a BM. It was recommended to me to do when I had general pain because things were tight. I do it before and during a BM. Maybe it will help you?
Okaybum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby jenA97 » 04 Jan 2019, 18:06

I do try that, and it is way better than it used to be. I can go a couple weeks with pretty easy BMs and minimal pain after but as soon as Im feeling good about things I have a bad day and have to start all over with a really bad week. And its not constipation either. Any BM thicker than a highlighter do me in.

Abu I have a very good colorectal surgeon who has given me a lot of time to try conservative methods. I WISH I could. Its just not working.
jenA97
Fibre Addict

Postby Okaybum » 04 Jan 2019, 20:58

I'm much the same. Any BM that is larger than that causes pain on my fissure site. I had a BM that was about half of normal size and it almost felt like the fissure was about to tear open. It didn't though. I take movicol 3 times a day to combat this early on and at 15 weeks of no retear, I'm continuing it. I'm hoping that the fissure site will fully heal in the next 6 months but I'm constantly combating diarrhea vs perfect vs too much gas vs too big. I'm going to try eating 4 smaller meals/snacks to see if that improves things. Eating less meat and a half a plate of veg helps. Avoid too much cheese, white potatoes, fries, fast food.

I've found a salad at lunch helps keep things in check. 1 cheat meal a week such as pizza etc doesn't hurt me as long as I mind the diet the rest of the day.
Okaybum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby jenA97 » 04 Jan 2019, 21:03

Id kill for a loose stool every once in a while. I dunno whats wrong with me but it just never happens anymore. No matter what I do. I have had 2 kids and it seems to have just wrecked my system up. I hated constipation during pregnancy but at least id get a few days break between poops. Now that the baby is out I poop sometimes 2x a day and its exhausting.
jenA97
Fibre Addict