Post Lord's anal dilation

Anal fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Post Lord's anal dilation

Postby AKR » 23 Apr 2015, 00:33

Hi!
I was suffering from chronic Anal fissure from past 6 months since then I had visit lots of experts. I was treated with varity of medicines was on high fiber diet and constant dosage of cremaffin. It did not improve and when it become impossible for me to sit in office for work I opted for operation. A week ago ( on last Wednesday) I had Lord's anal dilation done. On first day when the effect of my local Anastasia came down I experienced a terrible pain in the anus region, it was more like a burning sensation. I was then given three painkiller injections in intervals but nothing helped. When I told my doc about it she said the pain was more due to pack they insert after operation in the region. This pack is kept to avoid blood clothing and should be ideally kept for 24 hrs after operation. I suffered with this terrible pain throughout that night and then early morning after taking a sit at bath Nurse removed that pack. The effect was immediate, about 80 % pain stopped! I was again given a pain killer injection and then I did not felt the pain atall. I slept like a baby that whole day :) . I had BM that evening without pain or bleeding and then I was discharged from hospital. I was given some antibiotics, Crimaffin liquid, a jelly and sit at bath was advised for a week. I followed all rigorously. I suffered no pain at all for the week gone by, had BM everyday without bleeding or pain and just when I thought I was finally free from this suffering, today even with a good BM I saw blood lined with stool. I am totally freaked out :( since morning I have slight uncomfortness in the area, I am not sure if it is normal or is it a start of yet another long suffering :(. I have a schedule appointment with my doc for follow up this week and I hope so everything will be normal.
AKR

Topics: 1

Re: Post Lord's anal dilation

Postby Scientist2516 » 23 Apr 2015, 11:18

I hope everything will be normal too, AKR.
If you've no pain, just a bit of discomfort, hopefully it will die down and be OK. A bit of blood without pain is not necessarily a problem. Just be careful to keep your stools soft. Maybe use stool softener until you are sure you are OK.
Thanks for describing the dilation. That is very useful information.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Re: Post Lord's anal dilation

Postby chic » 07 Feb 2019, 14:15

Some sources state that Lord's dilation results in incontinence, but, as patience_and_healing pointed out, others claim that is the result of uncontrolled (i.e. non-standardized) dilation. My opinion is that the original method may have been too aggressive. The need for anesthesia indicates that, but a doctor doesn't want to take the time necessary for very gentle and gradual dilation. Using graduated sizes, maybe to 3-4 cm (my guess, but ultimately as determined by relief and lack of excess straining at defecation), should work well. Many people experiment with anal dilators at home with no incontinence, and it appears to take some time to comfortably increase the size. Forcing it open under anesthesia appears to me to be the problem, but there is not much money to be made by telling people how to do it on their own.
chic
Fibre Addict