New To The Forum

Chronic Anal Fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New To The Forum

Postby nsboyd1210 » 15 May 2019, 08:01

I have visited this site on and off for quite a few years but never posted. It is time I introduce myself. About 9 years ago I was constipated due to being somewhat dehydrated. A very difficult stool to pass caused a great deal of pain and some blood. I was treated for hemorrhoids. Shortly afterwards I got a digital prostate exam which I would only describe as brutal (did more damage). I eventually saw a colorectal surgeon who diagnosed a fissure. I chose to not surgically intervene and to simply let it heal. It took 16 very ugly months but it finally did. Fast forward 3-4 years and a fissure reemerged being caused by a rather normal stool. I tried to let it heal by itself for about a year but it did not. I was trying to control the pain from spasms by not eating and vomiting. I was trying to live normally by minimizing pain and buying time to let things heal. I was losing weight and was generally miserable. I got very tired of it all and opted for LIS surgery which I got. I was also diagnosed for being in the top 1-2% for stenosis just prior to the LIS surgery. 6 months later I was still dealing with a fissure accompanied by significant spasms and managing my pain the same way I was before. I elected to have Botox injections. I noticed no difference whatsoever. Months later I developed a fistula. I went to another colorectal surgeon and he performed a fistulectomy and a fissurectomy. It has been 2-1/2 months since that surgery. It has been 2-1/2 years now of continuous problems. I have pain during bowel movements and there is typically blood. Bowel movements are generally followed by spasms that can vary in degree. Sometimes the pain approaches that which I have experienced with kidney stones and sometimes the pain is mild. I take my sitz baths and generally lay down for a while. After the spasms have subsided which generally takes hours I can function normally. This situation has affected my work significantly. I have been working with an Anesthesiologist to figure out how to simply live with the pain. I am on gabapentin and it has helped a little but not much. My question is, is it unique to have this situation of a life revolving around bowel movements such that I am shut down for some hours after a bowel movement due to spasms and pain and then after they subside I can do normal things? Thanks for any consideration.

ns
Last edited by nsboyd1210 on 19 May 2019, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.
nsboyd1210

Topics: 1

Re: New To The Forum

Postby Pzgre » 15 May 2019, 15:32

I couldn't read and not reply. It seems like you have. been through alot . I too have a fissure and on the bad days the pain can last for 8 hrs,however most days it is less. When i dont have pain I am able to do whatever I want and I actually feel healed, even though I am not.Hope things get better for you
Pzgre
Salt Bather

Postby Abu » 15 May 2019, 22:15

Hey Nsb, did you consider a second LIS? What you describe is no life, nobody deserves to live like this.
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby nsboyd1210 » 16 May 2019, 12:18

Pzgre,

Thanks for the reply. I have the same experience with respect to feeling healed at times though I am not. Other times it is debilitating. For me the problems begin after BMs. A spasm ramps up to some degree of severity and then ramps down which all occurs over a period of hours. The severity and duration is different each time. Strange isn't it? Thank you for sharing. It is nice to know I am not alone in this experience.

Abu,

Thanks for your reply. I found that the first LIS surgery did "open things up" and I am concerned about the risks of incontinence either now or later as the sphincter relaxes with age.

NS
nsboyd1210

Postby hurtinend » 17 May 2019, 09:34

wow I'm very sorry nobody should suffer like this. I too have suffered for years with rectal spasms and pain. Not working due to this. For me the spasms ramp up around 10am and last all day, they decrease at night but never fully go away.

The pain clinic I go to is starting me on gabapentin...can I ask what dosage you are at?. I was told 1800mg per day is the target, but can go as high as 5000mg. Also, gabapentin can cause constipation due to its effect on the nervous system, something to keep in mind.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby nsboyd1210 » 19 May 2019, 07:46

hurtinend - Sorry about your situation. I can understand you not working. I take 1800mg per day of the gabapentin. I appreciate the heads up concerning the constipation. How do you deal with your spasms if you don't mind my asking? Btw thanks for responding.
nsboyd1210