Traveling with a fissure

About to go on a flight and cruise

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Traveling with a fissure

Postby Tryingtorelax » 08 Jun 2019, 15:23

Hi. My first post. I’ve been dealing with fissures off and on for about 9 months but this latest flare up has lasted 6 weeks. I’m scheduled for surgery in July. I can’t do it sooner because we booked a nonrefundable cruise. I was wondering if anyone has advice for me as I’m traveling with these very painful fissures. I plan on taking my sitz bath, Epsom salts, travel bidet, and NIFED-lido ointment. But I’m super nervous about being on a flight for 3 hours and I’m not even sure I can do any of the excursions we have booked as they require walking or riding in a vehicle for extended time. My BMs are regular in the morning but as you all know they are painful and pain lasts for hours after. Cancelling the trip is not an option. I would be forever grateful for any advice you all can give me. Thank you.
Tryingtorelax
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: Traveling with a fissure

Postby appleapple » 08 Jun 2019, 22:09

I'm interested in any advice on the board too. I'm in the middle of healing from a 2nd fissure and am scheduled for a 4 hour flight in 5 days. Still on the fence whether I can make it or not.
appleapple
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby patience_and_healing » 08 Jun 2019, 23:00

I had to travel internationally 2.5 years ago when I had a really bad fissure. It was awful and I don't think I would ever do it again. I recommend getting one of those tailbone pain relief cushions. I used a doughnut pillow because I didn't know better, but those put too much pressure on the anal area. The best thing you can do is continue on stool softeners like miralax, because travel is usually constipating. Get enough electrolytes as well as water if it's going to be hot. If you can't do an activity, it's better to sit it out rather than grit your teeth through it. No sense in traumatizing yourself. Hope you make it through all right and manage to enjoy yourself in some ways.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Pherianne » 10 Jun 2019, 16:45

Ask your doctor to prescribe you lignocaine or get an OTC cream with lidocaine and prilocaine. Make sure you have a BM Before your flight. Have a salt bath and numb yourself up. Drink plenty of water and try and avoid salty food. Bring some peppermint and chamomile tea bags. The numbing cream is really going to help you.
Pherianne
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Abu » 10 Jun 2019, 23:23

I had the luxury of saying no to a trip to Australia a few years ago when the fissure was active. I don't think I would have enjoyed any of it. My advice is to not try if you have a choice
Abu
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby appleapple » 11 Jun 2019, 05:42

Just reporting back: I've cancelled my travel plans this Thursday.
appleapple
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Pherianne » 11 Jun 2019, 14:56

appleapple wrote:Just reporting back: I've cancelled my travel plans this Thursday.

It’s probably for the best. I hope you’re doing ok all things considered.
Pherianne
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby owmybum » 12 Jun 2019, 03:13

I suffered a re tare in February, which I’m still dealing with. I had a holiday booked for the end of April. I got myself into a right mess worrying, but with advice from here, didn’t cancel. I’m so glad I didn’t... it was a lovely holiday, and I managed it just fine. It really helped take my mind off the pain.
My advice is to go for it. Take all your meds, lotions and potions... stick to what you know you can eat safely and you will surprise your self.
I had a 4 hour flight. It was a little uncomfortable, but if you get up and stretch your legs it’s really do able. Just don’t forget to drink water, as flights are dehydrating.

Appleapple... I’m sorry to hear you cancelled your holiday. No body would get how these things totally rule your life. I hope you can heal quickly and book another holiday to relax and enjoy.

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Bloodybum » 13 Jun 2019, 12:34

I missed a weekend getaway a couple weeks ago. It's such a bummer you feel like your letting everyone down! And then there's additional guilt that can creep in knowing that sometimes activity & distraction is exactly what you need to get out of rolling around on the couch feeling sorry for yourself. Sometimes your body needs motion to get itself running normally.

But of course when a fissure is bad there's just no choice. A couple months ago I would try to go walk around only to find myself laying down on the side of the road out of breath from the pain panting & trying to get control of myself. But when it's not so bad pushing through the pain really can be good for you. You just have to try and judge where you are.
Bloodybum
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby SueMac » 13 Jun 2019, 12:37

Sorry to hear you've cancelled your trip apple. It's very hard going away and managing all thjd. Last July I sent to fuerteventura and the first week was in pain but for some reason the second week the fissure let me have a week off. So it was worth it. Maybe relaxing on holiday helped? Sadly it is now almost a year later and I am still managing pain off and on.
SueMac
Fissureologist

Topics: 7