Had second LIS + fissurectomy + fissure stitched

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Had second LIS + fissurectomy + fissure stitched

Postby Deleted User 4536 » 14 Jun 2019, 19:34

my last LIS wasn't bad at all, a little sore but i was fine the next day. this time round i am in a lot of pain from the incision.

summary:
surgery day - fine, no pain because of local anaesthetic injected in sphincter
day 2 - pain 6/10
day 3 - 7/10
today day 4 - 9/10 and finally had my first bm. it was soft but big, and quite painful.

am just continuing to take ibuprofen, multiple showers and stool softeners and praying for the best.

i have dealt with this for so long and nothing has worked so far. just want the nightmare to end!!
Deleted User 4536

Re: Had second LIS + fissurectomy + fissure stitched

Postby Deleted User 4536 » 15 Jun 2019, 10:54

day 5
the pain from the incision has finally calmed down. can finally sit down and walk without a problem.
but bm today was super painful. really sharp pain from the fissure.
Deleted User 4536

Postby blue_belle » 20 Jun 2019, 12:58

Hi,
I see that you had your second LIS. Do you feel more optimistic this time around? Are there more risks with a second surgery?
I'm 4 months post-op and still not healed, I fear a second LIS is in my future.
blue_belle
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby woeisme » 21 Jun 2019, 03:57

Whatsherface-are you taking any narcotics for your pain? Doing sitz baths or using a perianal bottle to rinse?

I am so sorry you are in so much pain. Did your CRS make a longer/deeper incision this time? Did he make the incision in the same area as last time? Praying for soft BMs and low to no pain for you! Fissures and the surgery to fix them are so awful-praying also that you heal fully and completely from this surgery !
woeisme
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Deleted User 4536 » 21 Jun 2019, 07:38

woeisme wrote:Whatsherface-are you taking any narcotics for your pain? Doing sitz baths or using a perianal bottle to rinse?

I am so sorry you are in so much pain. Did your CRS make a longer/deeper incision this time? Did he make the incision in the same area as last time? Praying for soft BMs and low to no pain for you! Fissures and the surgery to fix them are so awful-praying also that you heal fully and completely from this surgery !

thank you for your prayers!

i've been using a bidet and patting myself dry after a bm.
pain had calmed down by day 5 and i stopped taking pain killers by day 7.
my fissure is at 12 o clock. my crs said the previous LIS cut was conservative and there was no scar tissue from the wound, so he made incision in the same place again, cutting more muscle than before, at 3 o clock.
right now the pain i'm getting is when i have a bm. if i have one bm, it's usually okay. but if i have two. the second one usually has a bit of pain. it's about 3/10 from the incision and 2/10 from the fissure.
Deleted User 4536

Postby Deleted User 4536 » 21 Jun 2019, 07:46

blue_belle wrote:Hi,
I see that you had your second LIS. Do you feel more optimistic this time around? Are there more risks with a second surgery?
I'm 4 months post-op and still not healed, I fear a second LIS is in my future.

i do feel hopeful. i always try to keep hope no matter how bad things get. but i feel it's too early to tell if it's helping at this point. it's only been 1 week and 3 days since the op... crs said most people completely heal by the 6 week mark.

my first LIS was very conservative. it only made things slightly less tight.
there are more risks for incontinence second time around, but i really didn't care at this point and i didn't have any other options
Deleted User 4536

Postby Deleted User 4536 » 24 Jun 2019, 11:16

almost 2 week update:
so, the incision is not bothering me anymore.
however the fissure pain is basically the same as it was pre surgery.
0/10 if the stool is loose and 3 or 4 out of 10 sharp pain if the stool is formed.
just seems like the sphincter refuses to stretch when the bm is more bulky, sigh.
Deleted User 4536

Postby Deleted User 4536 » 29 Jun 2019, 07:24

quick update:
no pain from incision
fissure pain has decreased from a 4/10 to 2/10
main problem is i'm feeling very tight during a bm. much tighter than i was before surgery. i'm hoping that improves with time. if things don't improve, i'm considering giving self dilation a go when i reach the 6 week mark post op.
Deleted User 4536

Postby Tryingtorelax » 02 Jul 2019, 20:51

Whatsherface, have you had your post op checkup yet with the doc? What did the doc say about your tightness?
Tryingtorelax
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Jimoffy » 08 Jul 2019, 10:05

I had same procedure as you 5 days ago, I’m very swollen, incision is gaping open and looks like somethings going to crawl out of there, all nice and dischargy, fissure pain feels the same or slightly better, but god it hurts to have a bm. I think more from the gaping incision. Does this get better ?
Jimoffy
Salt Bather

Topics: 13